forum

osu!arcade design documents

posted
Total Posts
show more
Quaraezha

peppy wrote:

viewing angle is close to perfect 180 degress. a second screen is supported and could be added, but i don't see it being necessary.
While it doesn't seem necessary, it's something that attract arcade folks.
Since most people in the Arcade spend their time looking for games to play rather than actually playing them.

People always admire people being good in video games.
Topic Starter
peppy
There is more than enough space to watch someone playing. An external display can be connected, without being attached to the unit (this is how arcades work in Japan).
GuardSonic
Will these be released in the Philippines? This is cool.... :))
Marcin
this is documentation for DIY project...
FrzR
I'm certain it has a Local Ranking statistics implemented. But what about online rankings? Perhaps players can make an account of their own, or use their current osu! account to login.
XPJ38
Not interested in building a machine but:

peppy wrote:

Why is there an osu!stream logo? Is it a different machine?

Btw if the system is meant to run osu!, is a multi-touch screen really necessary?
Nyquill

XPJ38 wrote:

Not interested in building a machine but:

peppy wrote:

Why is there an osu!stream logo? Is it a different machine?

Btw if the system is meant to run osu!, is a multi-touch screen really necessary?
afaik, osu!arcade has always ran osu!stream.
kutark
are you sure need to use 800 watts of PSU ?
it's maybe a little waste (though speakers don't get a loss on inactivity)

what one do you want to put ? a high table?
make sure your table is very steady , please
( because i saw most of Arcade Machine is taller and steady )

keep going , ppy
i hope you can complete it
Topic Starter
peppy
People are getting the wrong idea about this thread.

a) This machine is FINISHED. It runs both osu!stream and osu!. I named it the osu!arcade as a piece of hardware, not software.
b) I am not looking for feedback on the design. This is simply to share my final 100% polished-and-happy design for those people who have previously contacted me asking for more information.
c) As I said in my opening post, it will not be "released" anywhere as the project is currently stagnant. I made these as prototypes without a forward plan for them, but if I do find the time again I may take them somewhere. I still see osu! on PC being the project to focus on.

kutark wrote:

are you sure need to use 800 watts of PSU ?
800w is not a waste because it will not use the full 800w ever. I bought it for the efficiency, not the wattage.
[Kanzaki Ranko]
@ppy:
Any plans on releasing the osu!stream Windows branch for whoever is interested in building their own osu!arcade-ish machines?
K a y l a
nice! :)
Topic Starter
peppy

Maav wrote:

@ppy:
Any plans on releasing the osu!stream Windows branch for whoever is interested in building their own osu!arcade-ish machines?
If you get to that stage you are free to ask me. I'll handle such requests on an individual basis.
beeboy123
Came here to say I would buy the shit out of this.
RyougiMana_old
osu!stream need more music :x
kingking9
Because peppy was a bit light on system specs, i'll give a few model numbers from memory:

PSU: Corsair HX-850
Cooling: CPU: Stock Intel 1155 socket cooler Case Cooling: Noctua NF-P12 Fan @ 100% speed
CPU: i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz
Video: Intel HD2000
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz Kingston ValueRAM
Storage: 64GB Intel 330 series MLC SSD

Also, forgot to note, 1366x768 is a 16:9 ratio, not a 16:10.
Topic Starter
peppy
Thanks, updated. Of course, hardware can easily be replaced with other stuff; this is just a guide.
Flower
I noticed that the screen is a multi-touch screen. Does that mean the osu! game running on it will support multi-touch function? It may be irrelevant, but does that mean we can expect that future game on PC will support similar feature?

Besides, I am looking forward to it being established in Australia. Where will it be released? Japan?
claudio rolna

Flower wrote:

I noticed that the screen is a multi-touch screen. Does that mean the osu! game running on it will support multi-touch function? It may be irrelevant, but does that mean we can expect that future game on PC will support similar feature?

Besides, I am looking forward to it being established in Australia. Where will it be released? Japan?
Ask Peppy for that...Peppy say it not even on Australia :(
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Flower wrote:

It runs osu!stream too, which is available for iDevices for some time now (I'm guessing 2.5 years?). osu!stream is very similar to the PC game, but has stuff like hold notes and multitouch support.
ThisManzzz
Why in the world is there an 850 watt psu in this? Is it for future expansions?
1337rolla
I have a few questions:

Who sells that baanto multi touch panel? Can't seem to find much about them.

How did you interface the LED control with the Osu! software. Is it using a serial port to issue commands from pc to arduino or some other method? I'm imagining this functions much like a DDR machine where the lighting and buttons flash based on commands from the software to outputs on the JAMMA board.

Thanks.
Topic Starter
peppy

1337rolla wrote:

Who sells that baanto multi touch panel? Can't seem to find much about them.
They are an OEM provider. It will be hard to obtain. You can use any other touchscreen model – there's plenty consumer ones available which will work quite well these days.

1337rolla wrote:

How did you interface the LED control with the Osu! software. Is it using a serial port to issue commands from pc to arduino or some other method? I'm imagining this functions much like a DDR machine where the lighting and buttons flash based on commands from the software to outputs on the JAMMA board.

Thanks.
read opening post. again. and again.
Dexus
Any word on how you did the driver hacks to reduce input latency for the touch screen?
Topic Starter
peppy
Not really hacks. Just direct USB operations. No drivers installed.
Toofy
There are some photos of my copy of cabinet.

Starting to compile :)

Mmmm... bowels :-) Yeah, yeah, I know. That's disgusting, but I've tried my best anyway.

Amplifier. I'm not joking.

BAMMM!!! It works!!!

Well... I coded a little rhythm-game too. Something like jubeat. I call it 酷beat [kubeat]. Of course, peppy's name mentioned at credits for cabinet design.
Topic Starter
peppy
makes me so happy to see someone do this :D. now you have to get lighting working!
Toofy
Lightning works. Just a couple of minutes... some troubles with uploading photos.
==
Updated my post.
Now photos with working lightnings available :)
Thasan
What kind software is on that ATmega32U4? will those lights work with regular osu! or will it require osu!steam? or is lights connected to osu at all?
Using Adalight will work, but that "Processing" dosent look so good choise.
SuwakoMORIYAAA
Man. It would be unbelievable if it was going to be released in the Philippines.
G-Osu
That Mini osu!arcade is awesome. I need it badly.
TheBITLINK
I really, really love osu!stream.
I play it on my sister's phone everytime i have chance.

I know it's kindda abandoned a this point, but still, i would like to play it on my phone (Windows 10 Mobile) or tablet (W8.1)

Is there any chance to get it ported to W10 using Islandwood? Or at least to release the W8 version? Playing normal osu! in my tablet is not as fun as osu!stream.

Hell, i would pay anything for it.
isonoshi shuuya

peppy wrote:

In interest of making as much open as I can, I am going to release the osu!arcade design document. I have no idea where I will take this project in the future, but as it is a bit stagnant at the moment, and several people have shown interest in building their own system, hopefully this will give a head start.

I'll update this post with more information as I find time to release it. If you have any specific questions please ask in this thread and I will try to help out.

Cabinet Design
Design Document: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/163 ... cade11.pdf
  1. The wood part is made from MDF.
  2. Painted using a four-coat automotive paint process (two base coats for evenness) applied using a spray gun.
  3. Top cover is perspex (3mm iirc). Attached using a piano hinge.
  4. Rubber feet on bottom. Rubber lining on all edges of screen and wood to pad and secure perspex lid.
System Specs
PSU: Corsair HX-850 high efficiency (93%+). powers everything including speakers and lighting.
Cooling: CPU: Stock Intel 1155 socket cooler Case Cooling: Noctua NF-P12 Fan @ 100% speed
CPU: i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz
Video: Intel HD2000
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz Kingston ValueRAM
Storage: 64GB Intel 330 series MLC SSD
Display: 22" 16:10 screen (1366x768) using Baanto Shadowsense Multi-Touch Frame.
Sound: Car amplifier, car speakers, subwoofer (I will try and dig up specifics, but they are in another country at the moment).
Lighting Controller: Arduino Pro Micro 5V
Lighting: Adhesive LED strip lighting using WS2812 addressable controllers. Similar to this stuff.

Licence for all documents/designs
You are free to use them for non-commercial purposes. If you are using osu! branding in a public location (even for non-commercial locations) please contact me at pe@ppy.sh before going ahead. There shouldn't be any problems as long as I'm aware.
[/color]
XenoWarrior

TheBITLINK wrote:

I really, really love osu!stream.
I play it on my sister's phone everytime i have chance.
I know it's kindda abandoned a this point, but still, i would like to play it on my phone (Windows 10 Mobile) or tablet (W8.1)
Is there any chance to get it ported to W10 using Islandwood? Or at least to release the W8 version? Playing normal osu! in my tablet is not as fun as osu!stream.
Hell, i would pay anything for it.

I once worked on an osu!stream clone. Dropped it because it was awful (but implemented some features).
Once in a tweet Peppy sent to me when we were talking about this clone, he said that osu!stream can already run on Windows.
So it's just a matter of waiting to see if he will release osu!stream to PC, or not.
caca1597
I can' waiting it in Indonesia 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
caca1597
davidtigas
Will the osu!arcade screen come with a controller like for instance a Samsung-like pen?