forum

is OBS good for streaming?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EvilMorty
I've been using OBS for about a month now and I always have problems with it, when i play OSU!either the game crashes or OBS does. what settings are preferred for osu streaming on low tier pc? or should i just get a new broadcasting program?
Shohei Ohtani
If you're on a low-tier PC, streaming is gonna suck no matter what.
Topic Starter
EvilMorty
yeah i figured. i might as well give up on streaming. lol (im on a laptop)
Shohei Ohtani
You can stream on a laptop if it's good enough. I streamed on my pretty decent Acer laptop back before I broke it.

Granted I was an idiot and didn't know how to work OBS so I literally just kind of died.
IppE
OBS is about the best of the GUI doodad streaming programs aimed at gamers.

The other ones mainly being FFsplit and Xsplit.
QuadPiece
Obs is the best program availalbe other than XSplit (FFsplit I haven't tried)

however obs can be hard to set up. However here are some settings you can use for EXTREMELY low-end PCs, looks decent for osu! though.
This will make your stream 480p, 30 FPS with useable audio quality.

If this does not work, streaming is pretty hopeless.
Magnolia
you have weird settings 1500 bitrate could stream 720p no problem, i would suggest getting rid of cbr padding and running its base resolution at your monitor not a custom one like you have, also why arnt you running at 60 fps. i stream 480p perfectly with 60 fps on a somewhat shitty computer and a bitrate of 550

QuadPiece

HandHeldPillow wrote:

you have weird settings 1500 bitrate could stream 720p no problem, i would suggest getting rid of cbr padding and running its base resolution at your monitor not a custom one like you have, also why arnt you running at 60 fps. i stream 480p perfectly with 60 fps on a somewhat shitty computer and a bitrate of 550

These were meant for shitty PCs, I personally stream 1080p, 60 FPS with a bitrate of 3000-5000 and CBR padding is off (This can increase CPU use slightly if you didn't know.)
Xho
OBS itself is good, it probably has to do something with your pc or settings.
Makar
1. run osu in fullscreen mode (not borderless)
2. record osu via "game capture" (not window capture or monitor capture)
3. enable aero
4. if your osu still crashes, switch to openGL mode in graphics settings

not using fullscreen mode is fine, but osu may run slower

What is the error osu! gives when you crash? I might be able to relate.
Shirotsu
Keep in mind that what you set your bitrate to should be based on your upload speed.

For example: say your upload speed is 2.5 Mbps. You wouldn't want to set your bitrate to anything over 2500.
QuadPiece

Makar wrote:

1. run osu in fullscreen mode (not borderless)
2. record osu via "game capture" (not window capture or monitor capture)
3. enable aero
4. if your osu still crashes, switch to openGL mode in graphics settings

not using fullscreen mode is fine, but osu may run slower

What is the error osu! gives when you crash? I might be able to relate.
Setting the limiter to 120 FPS can surprisingly solve a lot of problems as well.
PlasticSmoothie

QuadPiece wrote:

HandHeldPillow wrote:

These were meant for shitty PCs, I personally stream 1080p, 60 FPS with a bitrate of 3000-5000 and CBR padding is off (This can increase CPU use slightly if you didn't know.)
Annnd if you do this, a lot of people are gonna have trouble watching your stream because their internet is too shit.
Using settings like that is only really beneficial if you are a twitch partner so users can set their own quality.
QuadPiece

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

QuadPiece wrote:

Annnd if you do this, a lot of people are gonna have trouble watching your stream because their internet is too shit.
Using settings like that is only really beneficial if you are a twitch partner so users can set their own quality.
I also have my own stream servers (I'm crazy, I know), I know that Twitch's shit servers also get problems with anything above 4000, which is why I usually use 3000 for Twitch and 5000 other places. (Sometimes 30 FPS as well, if 60 FPS is simply pointless for the particular thing I'm streaming) I'm a quality freak though, so 1800 is really the lowest I go.
skibblesx
Basically you can't stream OBS and a high-rate fps reliant game together on a stock-walmart-bought machine.

Also have a decent connection. 5mb/s upload if you want to do 720p moderately
peppy
So much nonsense advice.

2mbit is enough for 60fps 720p.
1mbit is enough if you are happy with 30fps.
OBS is better than xsplit in every way. do not give xsplit your money or patronage.
You can stream on a stock-walmart-bought machine.
QuadPiece

peppy wrote:

So much nonsense advice.

2mbit is enough for 60fps 720p.
1mbit is enough if you are happy with 30fps.
OBS is better than xsplit in every way. do not give xsplit your money or patronage.
You can stream on a stock-walmart-bought machine.
There, peppy owned us all. Now we must all hail the almighty peppy.
skibblesx
lock and trash