forum

Problems tapping for streaming

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jr1254
Hello im currently playing on a tablet and a corsair k70 w/ cherry MX red switches . I wanted to improve my streaming so I downloaded some streaming maps. I did pretty bad only getting 100s and 50s and barely any 300s . To diagnose the problem I tried relax mode and auto pilot and got an A on relax mode but a D on auto pilot mode from the special mod section so my tapping is very off how can I fix this? I have been playing osu daily for about 5 months + for about an hour or two every day and practice dosnt make perfect, practicing right makes perfect so any helpful tips please? Thank you and please don't just say practice more. The way I tap are my ,. or <> since im left handed my keyboard is placed at the end of my desk so, my hand is slightly kinda floating but not really its resting on the side of the keyboard (palm rest not attached) ., Any maps to practice on would be helpful to thank you everyone taking the time to read this :).

update: I took EVERYTHING into consideration that everyone said and I have seen a pretty big improvement in a short amount of time (Literally 10 minutes or so) Thank you everyone who gave suggestions or anything at all to help me improve :) If you have any maps or anything you would like to link me to help me further improve please tell me , I have a lot more practice to go before im anywhere near "good".
Xcrypt
You are probably practicing the wrong maps. You should start to learn streaming by learning how to properly do triplets, then slowly move on to larger streams. Everything should be at a low BPM at first and you should focus on consistency over speed.
thelewa
the problem most people have is that they think they can improve simply by mashing maps instead of thinking about what they're doing wrong

find out what you're doing wrong and focus on fixing that. Shouldn't be that hard given that every 100 and 50 is you doing something wrong and since you get a lot of them you should have a lot to go on.

in this case your problem is most likely that you just mash instead of trying to play the streams like they're supposed to be played
Rinku
Playing for a couple hours daily for 5+ months? I feel like you should have more playcount. I'm not sure what bpm you can stream but just try to follow the beat to songs a little faster than you can handle and eventually you will be up to speed.
thelewa
trying to learn streaming just by spamming streamy maps is like trying to learn guitar without learning any notes or musical theory
Topic Starter
jr1254

Xcrypt wrote:

You are probably practicing the wrong maps. You should start to learn streaming by learning how to properly do triplets, then slowly move on to larger streams. Everything should be at a low BPM at first and you should focus on consistency over speed.
I can easily do triplets without a problem I usually get 300's on them
Yano
Had the same Problem (:

Play "Another" Maps with Slow and Fast streams.

Try to regulate your Stream Speed and stay at it in a stream.

Learn to tap in the same speed without become faster or slower.

If you learned this, you can easily get 300's.
PlasticSmoothie
As lewa said, find maps with triples in them. They're immensively useful. (Plus, I avoided triplets like the plague and ended up learning to stream before I could do triplets. This was a problem I eventually had to fix)
Alternatively, find maps with short streams and focus on perfecting those before you take on longer streams - it's easier to remain in control for shorter periods of times.
Use the hitsounds. Listen to them. Do they sound completely off? Then you're not playing to the rhythm. You want those hitsounds to match the music.
buny

thelewa wrote:

trying to learn streaming just by spamming streamy maps is like trying to learn guitar without learning any notes or musical theory
because guitar only has 2 notes
Roricon
I think alot of players have that problem. I have so many C ratings on streamy maps :/. Just keep practicing and when you're missing a stream try to realise if you were understreaming or overstreaming it.
a map i really like: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/13223
And i would recommend checking the map list on jesus1412 his post: t/99612
Soulg
figure out what bpm you think you can stream. for an example i'll say 180.

now go lower than that and play streamy maps, so anywhere from 150-170 bpm streamy (as in longish streams not 5-7 notes over and over, although nature of dying is still a good choice) and put like 75% of your focus into keeping your fingers going with the rhythm and the rest on following the notes and so this over and over until you can SS it reliably without getting tired or nervous
Topic Starter
jr1254

thelewa wrote:

the problem most people have is that they think they can improve simply by mashing maps instead of thinking about what they're doing wrong

find out what you're doing wrong and focus on fixing that. Shouldn't be that hard given that every 100 and 50 is you doing something wrong and since you get a lot of them you should have a lot to go on.

in this case your problem is most likely that you just mash instead of trying to play the streams like they're supposed to be played
Honestly when I first read this i thought no shit -.- but then I really thought about it and put it into consideration and saw a drastic change on how i scored , thank you very much.

Just saw how high your rank is xD Its an honor to have you give me advise thank you any further advise for anything would be appreciated to become a better osu player
Topic Starter
jr1254

tomden wrote:

I think alot of players have that problem. I have so many C ratings on streamy maps :/. Just keep practicing and when you're missing a stream try to realise if you were understreaming or overstreaming it.
a map i really like: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/13223
And i would recommend checking the map list on jesus1412 his post: t/99612
Thank you for the map it helped :)
Topic Starter
jr1254

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

As lewa said, find maps with triples in them. They're immensively useful. (Plus, I avoided triplets like the plague and ended up learning to stream before I could do triplets. This was a problem I eventually had to fix)
Alternatively, find maps with short streams and focus on perfecting those before you take on longer streams - it's easier to remain in control for shorter periods of times.
Use the hitsounds. Listen to them. Do they sound completely off? Then you're not playing to the rhythm. You want those hitsounds to match the music.
Thanks ive been trying to hear the hit sounds now and its helping me out .
Topic Starter
jr1254

Ultrayano wrote:

Had the same Problem (:

Play "Another" Maps with Slow and Fast streams.

Try to regulate your Stream Speed and stay at it in a stream.

Learn to tap in the same speed without become faster or slower.

If you learned this, you can easily get 300's.
Thank you this was also one of the things that helped me very much I noticed i would feel rushed and start button mashing as thelewa said and that got me no where so i tried to keep it steady and saw vast improvement
Soulg
dont multipost, just put them all into one long post
Topic Starter
jr1254
Thanks sorry lol I dont use forums alot
Rewben2
Like thelewa said, streaming is about knowing what you are doing and being able to do it comfortably, not mashing as fast you can. Try and aim to be very accurate on lower bpm streams and then improve your speed.

What I did to try and improve was download this t/117038 and then I saw what bpm I could comfortably stream at, then tried to find stream maps of a similar bpm. As I improved I increased the bpm of the maps I played.

Consistency > speed