forum

[Archived] No 5.1 sound for Osu!, works elsewhere

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xizz3l
Problem Details:
Well the problem is easily explained: I have no 5.1 sound while playing Osu!, only Stereo!
It works in every other game, on YouTube and even on the Osu! page when previewing beatmaps so it's also not map specific

Does anyone know why this happens?
RBRat3

Xizz3l wrote:

Problem Details:
Well the problem is easily explained: I have no 5.1 sound while playing Osu!
It works in every other game, on YouTube and even on the Osu! page when previewing beatmaps so it's also not map specific

First off everything in osu! is stereo but lets start with the obvious...

-Is osu! master volume turned down?
-Is osu! muted from windows volume mixer?
Topic Starter
Xizz3l

RBRat3 wrote:

Xizz3l wrote:

Problem Details:
Well the problem is easily explained: I have no 5.1 sound while playing Osu!

First off everything in osu! is stereo but lets start with the obvious...

-Is osu! master volume turned down?
-Is osu! muted from windows mixer?
Even if the original sound is stereo, it can be upmixed though right?
Sorry I'm not 100% familiar with that topic :P

#1 Nope, maste volume is around 45 - 90, depending on how loud i wanna play. Ingame sliders are also above 80% (Music is always on 100%)
#2 It obviously isn't, otherwise I wouldn't hear the game sound at all. Maybe I just didn't clarify my problem enough :/

The problem is: I only have stereo sound, no bass, no right / left surround speakers
I DO hear the ingame sound, i DO NOT have bass etc while playing

And like you said, Osu! normally gives out stereo anyway but it should be upmixed to 5.1+ shouldn't it? YouTube also only gives out stereo and it works there

Thx in advance!
RBRat3
Ahh I see, I misunderstood...

Welp not knowing how your setup is, if I had to take a guess it sounds osu! might be getting a direct passthrough but I doubt it...
Is your audio upmixed from a reciever (like a dolby decoder) or is it through software?
Can you still hear other other audio with osu! running like playing a youtube video?
Topic Starter
Xizz3l

RBRat3 wrote:

Ahh I see, I misunderstood...

Welp not knowing how your setup is, if I had to take a guess it sounds osu! might be getting a direct passthrough but I doubt it...
Is your audio upmixed from a reciever (like a dolby decoder) or is it through software?
Can you still hear other other audio with osu! running like playing a youtube video?
I guess it should be upmixed through my soundcard itself
I'm using the Club3D Theatron Agrippa with up to date drivers, nothing more (Like I said, I'm not 100% familiar with the way upmixing etc. works)
And yes, I can hear other audio with Osu! running in the background, that audio is also played in 5.1 (I.E. YouTube song)
Same for the offical Osu! page, previewing beatmaps there while playing the EXACT SAME beatmap in Osu! works, with the song being 2.1 in Osu itself and 5.1 on the homepage
RBRat3
Well seems there's a decoder on the card....

Unfortunately im not familiar enough with a setup like that let alone with dolby EX. My best suggestion would be to look up other users of that card that have similar problems, I dont think you'll find much help here on the subject being it has little to do with osu! specifically. Still my assumption is that it magically sees osu! as a legit dolby digital/PCM stream and giving it a passthrough beyond that I cant see why the decoder would refuse to upmix the 2 channel audio.

Ohh and that assumption is assuming ALL audio streams get thrown at the decoder it's possible that it could just not be using it in the first place and be plain normal L/R pc audio.