forum

How does the ranking system actually work?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Awakening_old_1
Hey guys,

I didn't know where to post this exactly so I just chose to do it here.
So I've been playing OSU! for a while now and have over 2000 plays on it and level 41. I've been ranked #410,050 for as long as I can remember.
My friend who just started playing the game yesterday is rank #205,222 and I've played against him in multiplayer and I'm better than him. His PP is higher than mine as well, mine is 89 and his is 723. His accuracy is 86.98% on both his game and profile, whereas mine is 86.12% on my OSU! client and 98.46% on my profile.
Why does his rank continue to increase and is higher than mine, but mine is stuck and I'm better than him.
I'm just a bit confused on how the whole thing works, Am I doing something wrong or different that doesn't allow my rank to increase? Or does my profile not update properly?
Nathanael
Ranking is based from performance points.
Read for more info (there are changes so it may not be accurate)
Rinku
Yea just read the above. Basically you have to score top 600 in something or your rank will never change. You can potentially get sub 100k by doing one song so it shouldn't really matter until your good enough to be like sub 30k. Also rank definitely does not prove whos better in multiplayer as I'm sure you see haha.
Topic Starter
Awakening_old_1
Ok, thanks guys. I think I understand it better now. So even if its a 1 star song, if I place in the top 500 or so. That can potentially increase my rank?
Also, why is the accuracy on my profile different to that of my client? Seems a bit strange.
buny
you can only rank by playing scarlet rose
Soarezi
Lust

soAz wrote:

That has to be a joke lol

@OP I wouldn't worry about your accuracy on either. Just keep improving your play and you'll get up there eventually.
Soulg

Lust wrote:

soAz wrote:

That has to be a joke lol

@OP I wouldn't worry about your accuracy on either. Just keep improving your play and you'll get up there eventually.
nope its actually on there

also scarlet rose way to PP
Weed
I wouldn't really worry about rank, just play for fun :)
Black Wolf159

buny wrote:

Scarlet Rose is val0108 certainly but also there a lot map to play
Rewben2

Nathanael wrote:

I believe that 1 year rule is untrue, I played a 2008 map the other day and earnt pp.
Full Tablet

Rewben2 wrote:

Nathanael wrote:

I believe that 1 year rule is untrue, I played a 2008 map the other day and earnt pp.
It means age of the record, not age of the beatmap.
Zare
"How does it work?"
- It doesn't.
buny

Zarerion wrote:

"How does it work?"
- It doesn't.
truth
nooblet

buny wrote:

This.
chanhien
You play easy map => get pp => rank higher
You play hard map => no pp => you die have lower rank
That is obviously the how ppv1 works in a nutshell
Nalarionwc

Nathanael wrote:

so wait im confused... sitting doing nothing will cause your rank to permanently decrease? Meaning only the narcissistic and obsessive individuals stay at high ranks? That explains why its so hard to get back to my peak when ive been gone for months, and here I thought people were just getting better than me.
ZenithPhantasm
Nice necropost.
uberpancake

Nalarionwc wrote:

Nathanael wrote:

so wait im confused... sitting doing nothing will cause your rank to permanently decrease? Meaning only the narcissistic and obsessive individuals stay at high ranks? That explains why its so hard to get back to my peak when ive been gone for months, and here I thought people were just getting better than me.
No. This thread discusses the old pp system, not the current one. People are passing you because they're better than you.
DahplA

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Nice necropost.
Also.

Nalarionwc wrote:

...of course? If you stand still in a race, are people going to stop as well? No, they will pass you.
Roxy Lalonde

DahplA wrote:

If you stand still in a race, are people going to stop as well? No, they will pass you.
not if you press the pause button.

I'm glad I wasn't around to experience ppv1 xD.
Barusamikosu
That feel when you missed ppv1.