forum

finger joints in pain D:

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid
So i can usually play for 5 hours(with 10 min water breaks) before experiencing any kind of discomfort. Well today its only been two hours and when i started playing faster songs my middle finger(the join at the knuckle) started to hurt. Icing it for now.Should i lay off osu for a while, before i do any serious damage? and any advice to avoid this, like better hand positioning?
uzzi
Those are normal results, same thing happened to me except in a much smaller time frame ;P

Let your finger feel a bit better before going back to those faster songs, it'll just take some practice for your hand to get used to the faster playstyle.
Icyteru
It means you're improving. Keep at it. You can only improve in this game with physical pain.
Soulg

[AirCoN] wrote:

It means you're improving. Keep at it. You can only improve in this game with physical pain.
with moderation

no point in giving yourself carpal tunnel trying to improve
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid

Soulg wrote:

[AirCoN] wrote:

with moderation

lol that's what I'm afraid of :p. and I guess its like working out no pain no gains XD. Glad to hear that these are normal results now I can rest easy knowing I didn't injure my hand
PlasticSmoothie
Just relax and let your finger recover. Play some slower songs meanwhile or just some other game.
Lycanth_old
I'd take a break (a few days should suffice completely in your case). I had a similar 'condition' and had to completely stop playing with my index finger for a month now, due to an issue with my tendon. From what I read it takes up to 3month (possibly longer) for it to recover. (While I can move my finger without any trouble, it felt very weak when I played and it seemed as though I could feel my tendon being pulled everytime I pressed a button/pulled the finger up)

If this only happens when singletapping and you got a mech kb, consider getting O-Rings. They helped me reduce the stress a lot. Alas, I got them too late and didn't take breaks either, so I ended up "wasting" months during which I could have been playing properly (currently switching between mouse only and playing with middle+ring finger, I can't tell which playstyle feels more awkward, but both have some huge disadvantages for me).

As far as I can tell, hand positioning shouldn't matter. If you don't want to spend money on O-Rings, try singletapping with less force. Even if you can't play very fast songs that way, you will adapt to it eventually and be able to do so.

(I'm assuming that you play with KB+Mouse/Tablet and that you are singletapping with your middle finger, else whatever your problem is, it is most likely unrelated to mine)

Also pain is not a sign of improvement. What the hell. Pain is your body telling you that something is wrong and you should stop whatever is causing the pain.
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid

Lycanth wrote:

I'd take a break (a few days should suffice completely in your case). I had a similar 'condition' and had to completely stop playing with my index finger for a month now, due to an issue with my tendon. From what I read it takes up to 3month (possibly longer) for it to recover. (While I can move my finger without any trouble, it felt very weak when I played and it seemed as though I could feel my tendon being pulled everytime I pressed a button/pulled the finger up)

If this only happens when singletapping and you got a mech kb, consider getting O-Rings. They helped me reduce the stress a lot. Alas, I got them too late and didn't take breaks either, so I ended up "wasting" months during which I could have been playing properly (currently switching between mouse only and playing with middle+ring finger, I can't tell which playstyle feels more awkward, but both have some huge disadvantages for me).

As far as I can tell, hand positioning shouldn't matter. If you don't want to spend money on O-Rings, try singletapping with less force. Even if you can't play very fast songs that way, you will adapt to it eventually and be able to do so.

(I'm assuming that you play with KB+Mouse/Tablet and that you are singletapping with your middle finger, else whatever your problem is, it is most likely unrelated to mine)

Also pain is not a sign of improvement. What the hell. Pain is your body telling you that something is wrong and you should stop whatever is causing the pain.
oh man that sucks, guess i'll tone down a bit :P I'm in no hurry to be number 1 XD. and I have a regular keyboard nothing special, but was thinking about mechanical a while back but i cheaped out cause im basically broke and had to buy AC4 >.<, is mechanical really that different btw?
Weed
Mechanical kb can give you more stamina.
Doomsday

Soulg wrote:

[AirCoN] wrote:

with moderation

this

aching due to fatigue is one thing, and pain is another. the latter is never good. take a break if that is the case
idkhowtoclick

Lycanth wrote:

So your body is telling you not to exercise or like lift weights because it hurts?? Scumbag body indeed.
I would say that your body senses something weird and it thinks you're better off not taking the risk of doing the activity or something wtf idk im no doctur :[

But anyways, when I trained..streaming (probably the worst way of all) by going straight to 200bpm dragonforce maps, my fingers would stop moving after I playd them enough..well this is probably about stamina but I would say that uhh....erm......well fk this!!, there is only 1 word.
practice
Icyteru
Be cookiezi. Acquire eye disease. Be SiLviA. Acquire skin disease. Being good at this game requires sacrifices.
sorgenehtyals
Correct me if I'm wrong but after hard training you should have difficulty moving your fingers only. Joint pain or any other kind of pain is bad and you should take a 2-3day to 2 weeks break. If that doesn't help then its time to pay a visit to the good old doctor. Be sure to stretch fingers after every hour as well.
Lycanth_old

idkhowtoclick wrote:

Lycanth wrote:

So your body is telling you not to exercise or like lift weights because it hurts?? Scumbag body indeed.
I would say that your body senses something weird and it thinks you're better off not taking the risk of doing the activity or something wtf idk im no doctur :[

But anyways, when I trained..streaming (probably the worst way of all) by going straight to 200bpm dragonforce maps, my fingers would stop moving after I playd them enough..well this is probably about stamina but I would say that uhh....erm......well fk this!!, there is only 1 word.
practice
If lifting weights or exercising is painful for you, then yes: your body is telling you to stop(, if it is something you can stop). But you probably dont see a difference between your muscles aching due to fatigue and pain.

Also OP was talking about joints being in pain, not muscles tiring/aching.
Zakdawg
Make sure you have a nice keyboard. You honestly shouldn't feel any pain at all, even after 5 hours.

Also note there is a difference between pain and being worn out.
Soulg

[AirCoN] wrote:

Be cookiezi. Acquire eye disease. Be SiLviA. Acquire skin disease. Being good at this game requires sacrifices.
what did silvia have? out of curiousity
idkhowtoclick

Soulg wrote:

[AirCoN] wrote:

what did silvia have? out of curiousity

[AirCoN] wrote:

Acquire skin disease

Just a guess :/
Soulg
it's almost as if there are thousands of different skin diseases that are all different in their own way, be it big or small.

wow
much skin