forum

Any other one-eyed players?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iWhorse
(Pre-note: by one-eyed, you don't have to literally lose your eye, i'm talking about legally blind or worse)

Wondering if I'm the only one. Any known proplayers half-blind either? I know no one.

If you aren't half-blind and you are reading this, how do you think your life would change if you only had one eye?

Wouldn't know btw, was born this way^.
NoYzE
wow, you have my respect.
AmaiHachimitsu
I know a player like you so nope, you're not the only one.

Limited sight is a huge disadvantage during playing osu! so no pro one-eyed player shall exist, though I might be mistaken. (and I don't know what "pro" means to you)
Full Tablet

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Limited sight is a huge disadvantage during playing osu! so no pro one-eyed player shall exist, though I might be mistaken. (and I don't know what "pro" means to you)
How does having more than one eye give you a advantage while playing osu!? (staring at a flat screen).
PyaKura
I really dunno how I'd feel, after a while. Being sad at first would be pretty obvious though.
I don't know how it would be like, in practice, but I know that my view worsens when I close one eye. I'm not talking about the field of view or anything, it's just that when either eye is closed, my view is all blurred, even though I have above average vision with both my eyes open. As far as gaming goes, it'd definitely have an impact on my gameplay. Fortunately, I only play mania so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. I can see the problem when playing CTB or STD though. Oh, I wouldn't be able to play other action/FPS games.
AmaiHachimitsu
How does having more than one eye give you a advantage while playing osu!? (staring at a flat screen).
Just play with one eye closed, it's harder than you might expect it to be.
Oinari-sama

Full Tablet wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Seriously... althoughit's recognised scientifically that having 2 view angles assist in depth perception, it doesn't mean that you should come right out making insensitive comments. Knowing when and where to raise a debate is part of wisdom.

@OP: I admire people who keeps on going despite whatever hardship they're facing, but please take care of yourself. Don't strain your body too much!
RaneFire

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

It is seriously hard. I once had a "foreign object" removed from my left eye. So I had to keep it closed, with a bandage over it, until it healed. (As well as applying antibiotic eye-drops).

Trying to play osu! was such FAIL. I swear I was concentrating, but the way I was playing made it seem like I was half-blind. OH WAIT!

I had to wait for 5 days before I could take it off. During that time I came to know just how difficult it is to do anything that requires "focus" with a visual impairment.
Zakdawg

Oinari-sama wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

Seriously... althoughit's recognised scientifically that having 2 view angles assist in depth perception, it doesn't mean that you should come right out making insensitive comments. Knowing when and where to raise a debate is part of wisdom.

@OP: I admire people who keeps on going despite whatever hardship they're facing, but please take care of yourself. Don't strain your body too much!
what is insensitive about that comment?

op has had 1 eye for his or hers entire life. I'm pretty sure op is doing just fine.
you can not possibly compare closing an eye and then assume you are the same.
RaneFire

Zakdawg wrote:

op has had 1 eye for his or hers entire life. I'm pretty sure op is doing just fine.
Except that it is the only way to compare, because a person with one eye can't go and grab a 2nd one and tell us how much better it is.
It's almost a qualia. AKA inexplicable feeling/experience.
PlasticSmoothie
Have both eyes, but I do have some vision problems.

I have albinism, which affects my sight so that I can be considered legally blind in certain light conditions. A lot of things are wrong with my eyes, but the most important one for osu! is that I have tunnel vision - low field of view. When I play I can't see the entire screen at once unless I make the window super small... in which case I wouldn't be able to chat because all text would be too small. :p (I guess it would be like playing FL for you guys? Even though I'm horribly bad at FL lol)

I have no idea if it affects me in osu!. I don't think it affects me much, it might be the cause of some sliderbreaks in jumpy maps but hey, I still do jumps fine.
According to my doctor I have many of the same problems that a one-eyed person has, but I wouldn't know. Kudos to you for playing with one eye! =D
Zare
Topic Starter
iWhorse

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Its completely different if you're born with one eye(And there's also a pro baseball player with one eye i know of, although i forgot his name(He lost it in some sort of accident?)). Your brain is more adaptable than you're giving it credit for. I'm better than many players that have two eyes, although I'm also worse than other players that have two eyes.

Zarerion wrote:

Bikko.
Whoah, I never knew this lol.

RaneFire wrote:

Zakdawg wrote:

Except that it is the only way to compare, because a person with one eye can't go and grab a 2nd one and tell us how much better it is.
It's almost a qualia. AKA inexplicable feeling/experience.
Well, it's not really a qualia, I think. If you wore an eyepatch over one of your eyes for some years you'd probably become more proficient with using that eye. Short-term you'd just be bad because you wouldn't know how to perceive using only one eye, though. I'm pretty sure I'm fine though, yes.

Full Tablet wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

I'm pretty sure bad eyesight conflicts with RT somehow, although i'm not sure where i remember i saw this(if your eye takes longer to refocus, reaction is slower maybe? Ehh i've tried googling this but found nothing.)
then again though, i've passed ar10\10.86 maps, so practically speaking it's not so bad
by "pro" i'm just meaning skilled players(or well known ones)
Piotrekol
I'm one-eye(born that way) player and I don't think I have too much trouble with this game.
As AmaiHachimitsu said it can be huge disadvantage(that I don't know about because... you know what) but you can still fight with it - it's all about practice(a lot of it)
Mystrian_old

iWhorse wrote:

Wouldn't know btw, was born this way^.
I only can see with my right.

Piotrekol wrote:

As AmaiHachimitsu said it can be disadvantage but you can still fight with it - it's all about practice(a lot of it)
That it does
Starry-
:/ my left eye is blurred to the point where i pretty much can't see out of it so that counts? ;u;
i don't have much trouble ;;
Shozonu
I wore an eye patch for a whole day as part of a psychology class experiment. I had to actually pay attention when I road my bike to and from school that day. Eventually, I got used to it, and it started seeming as if my vision became dim, possibly due to the black that my covered eye is seeing being merged (?) with my other eye's vision? Anyway, I started getting a little headache, and I remember me seeing more red and green than normal, and dots that disappear when you look at it. After that, I started feeling that I'm in a dream, and that everything is surreal.

Anyway, respect for the visually impaired osu! players out there :D
XK2238
tried playing with only my right eye, and it's a lot harder. Yeah, I don't think I can withstand that change if it actually happened to me, it feels like a doom to have your sight skewed/removed for the rest of your life... it's scary.

As for my own, I have asymmetrical eyelids, and my eyes lack movement capability which makes me see a fast-moving object (that is, high-speed Taiko notes) as two (or even more) notes {I don't know if it's my eyes or the CPU though, I'm hard to focus anyways}. I can only rotate my eyes together in the same way, and I cannot do anything else. Lack of muscular abilities, if you prefer that. Fortunately my sight itself hasn't got even the slightest blur... yet.

Anyway, have my salute, OP and you guys.
Shiro-
I play with one eye as well \:3/
I have a scar in my left eye since i was a child and i cant see anything out of it. I find clicking circles okay though (*´・v・)
kaetwo
I'm born with only my left eye sighted. I don't know how you guys play, but I find that centering my vision towards the centre of the monitor helps a lot. Even better when you wear your monocle with a wide peripheral vision. But yeah, practice is key.
Topic Starter
iWhorse

Kaetwo wrote:

I'm born with only my left eye sighted. I don't know how you guys play, but I find that centering my vision towards the centre of the monitor helps a lot. Even better when you wear your monocle with a wide peripheral vision. But yeah, practice is key.
wat, a monocle

My peripherals suck too, though. Not really in standard, but when I played taiko. Maybe would have played better if I played a lot more, though?
XK2238

iWhorse wrote:

Kaetwo wrote:

wat, a monocle

My peripherals suck too, though. Not really in standard, but when I played taiko. Maybe would have played better if I played a lot more, though?
not necessarily a lot, you only need to get used to it
show more