forum

osu! World Cup 2013 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kert
Please, add variety to future mappools. Nomod maps are all the same, absolutely.
Last year there were maps that had some unique stuff like small circles/2key patterns/long streams/low ar/accuracy wars for teams
But now it's just jumps and streams everywhere
Also some of the nomod maps are quite long so they look like they should be tiebreakers instead of nomods
Metro
Accuracy wars <- how interesting. not.
My Accuracy Sucks

Metro wrote:

Accuracy wars
Damn it.
Darksonic

Kert wrote:

Please, add variety to future mappools. Nomod maps are all the same, absolutely.
All I can say by reading this is just... lol, you can't be serious. As you probably noticed we increased difficulty if we compare the last owcs, and we're only two pickers, with a new one included, so obviously picks won't be the same style. Even if the maps are "all the same" as you say, that doesn't mean each map is the same difficult as other one, there are harders and easiers, fasters and slowers. But picks and variety will change a bit, be sure of that.
Almost

Darksonic wrote:

Kert wrote:

All I can say by reading this is just... lol, you can't be serious. As you probably noticed we increased difficulty if we compare the last owcs, and we're only two pickers, with a new one included, so obviously picks won't be the same style. Even if the maps are "all the same" as you say, that doesn't mean each map is the same difficult as other one, there are harders and easiers, fasters and slowers. But picks and variety will change a bit, be sure of that.
But it would be more interesting to watch if the maps had unique traits instead of all being just jumpy and streamy since not all players can play maps that are out of the ordinary well.
smoogipoo

Almost wrote:

But it would be more interesting to watch if the maps had unique traits instead of all being just jumpy and streamy since not all players can play maps that are out of the ordinary well.
I disagree. If you can't play maps that are out of the ordinary well then you shouldn't be in the "osu! World Cup". That's like saying the Olympics should cater for people who have a very low skill level rather than for the most elite, or for players in the SC2 GSL to only play ladder games because they're not used to playing the tough Korean players and their styles.

I want the OWC to test the most elite of players rather than to know that some random player can come close to rrtyui on easier maps. Likewise I want to be tested in this tournament - if you fail at out of the ordinary maps you should practice them more and improve, it's a win-win situation for both the spectators (seeing the players get pushed to their limits) and the players (improving).
Darksonic

Almost wrote:

Actually, for my side I'm planning to look for more variety and more "unique" stuff for the next round so you guys don't have to worry about that, I did and will do the best as possible. I just hope to have enough time since I have to wait until the next week to have my computer back again.
Almost

smoogipooo wrote:

Almost wrote:

I disagree. If you can't play maps that are out of the ordinary well then you shouldn't be in the "osu! World Cup". That's like saying the Olympics should cater for people who have a very low skill level rather than for the most elite, or for players in the SC2 GSL to only play ladder games because they're not used to playing the tough Korean players and their styles.

I want the OWC to test the most elite of players rather than to know that some random player can come close to rrtyui on easier maps. Likewise I want to be tested in this tournament - if you fail at out of the ordinary maps you should practice them more and improve, it's a win-win situation for both the spectators (seeing the players get pushed to their limits) and the players (improving).
Being able to play out of the ordinary maps is a skill of it's own and most people nowadays don't practice those sorts of maps any more since all people care about any more is being able to play fast.
smoogipoo

Almost wrote:

Being able to play out of the ordinary maps is a skill of it's own and most people nowadays don't practice those sorts of maps any more since all people care about any more is being able to play fast.
The good thing about osu! is that great players are all-round players. I've yet to see a top-50 player who is extremely good at one thing but fails horribly in another area if you exclude mods (because there are some people who strictly practice one mod). They're either moderately-good at everything, great at everything, or amazing at everything; with few discrepancies.
I would be thoroughly disappointed if there's a top-50 player who can jump but can't stream, or who can read ar9 jumps but can't aim, or who can stream fast with low accuracy.

Let's rephrase that - luck for different mapping styles should not be a determining factor of skill in this game. If you have to use luck to finish these maps because you're so used to new maps, speeds or w/e, then you're probably doing it wrong. Don't call yourself good at this game just because you can play a select few mapping styles.
Kert

Darksonic wrote:

Actually, for my side I'm planning to look for more variety and more "unique" stuff for the next round so you guys don't have to worry about that, I did and will do the best as possible
Nice to hear that. Looking forward to new maps!
Almost

smoogipooo wrote:

Almost wrote:

The good thing about osu! is that great players are all-round players. I've yet to see a top-50 player who is extremely good at one thing but fails horribly in another area if you exclude mods (because there are some people who strictly practice one mod). They're either moderately-good at everything, great at everything, or amazing at everything; with few discrepancies.
I would be thoroughly disappointed if there's a top-50 player who can jump but can't stream, or who can read ar9 jumps but can't aim, or who can stream fast with low accuracy.

Let's rephrase that - luck for different mapping styles should not be a determining factor of skill in this game. If you have to use luck to finish these maps because you're so used to new maps, speeds or w/e, then you're probably doing it wrong. Don't call yourself good at this game just because you can play a select few mapping styles.
You don't need luck if you are good at it. If you are used to playing really retarded maps then you probably would screw up less than most. And if that last part was directed at me, I never said I was good at the game nor did I say I was good at a select few mapping styles (I'm actually terrible at them)
Wishy
buny did you know that almost all osu! maps which are not INSANELY HARD are pretty much just about one hard part.
buny

Wishy wrote:

buny did you know that almost all osu! maps which are not INSANELY HARD are pretty much just about one hard part.
yes

don't take it offensively, it's probably very hard to find suitable maps with only 3 selectors this time, and having to change the map with such short notice too.

other than the tie breaker and a few no mod maps this map pool is very nice, as well as the song selection.
Wishy
It's quite hard to find maps which are hard all the way around without them being top tier insanes. Sadly most are about a few hard parts (if not just one). :(

I found quite a lot of actual overall hard maps but they are indeed too hard all the way around, you'll probably see them on later stages tho.
AmaiHachimitsu
How about Scarlet Rose?
Melt3dCheeze

Wishy wrote:

It's quite hard to find maps which are hard all the way around without them being top tier insanes. Sadly most are about a few hard parts (if not just one). :(

I found quite a lot of actual overall hard maps but they are indeed too hard all the way around, you'll probably see them on later stages tho.
Welcome to the 2013 mapping era ._. I don't mind having mid-top tier maps in the ro8 and beyond, I guess that's what the 1 week practicing is for.
Icyteru
Eww ugly avatar cheese. And lol at all the betters thinking australia will beat brazil
Icyteru
Ugh god edit button disappeared.
But I just read that the maps will be jump and combo focused rather than stream speed. Ahahaha you're fucked melt3d.
Melt3dCheeze

[AirCoN] wrote:

But I just read that the maps will be jump and combo focused rather than stream speed. Ahahaha you're fucked melt3d.
I doubt it, you haven't considered the situations where 8 super nervous people clash into one another, shaking and losing focus. You haven't seen me in action when I've been completely nervous, nor have I ever experienced first hand so anything could go in OWC.
Almost

[AirCoN] wrote:

No faith...
Metro
According to the betting game some people including myself have a lot of faith on Latvia lol.
pooptartsonas

Metro wrote:

According to the betting game some people including myself have a lot of faith on Latvia lol.
USA
USA
USA
USA
USA
AmaiHachimitsu
Since it's unknown if SG participates fully and Latvia has a very good roster (I'd say it's perfect for tournaments, their players' consistency is very good) I'm not surprised at all.
Omgforz
Just like some people have way too much faith in Austria.
We're gonna disappoint people.

(Quick Metro, change your bet for China-Austria, because we don't have M3tr01d available for that match!)

And I wanted my avatar to stare at AmaiHachimitsu

hue
Noriko

Omgforz wrote:

Just like some people have way too much faith in Austria.
We're gonna disappoint people.
Glad Estonia doesn't have that problem 8-)
lly
We will just show our godlike powers off. And then everyone will bow to the power of Estonia! Mwhahaha
pielak213

pooptartsonas wrote:

USATEI
USATEI
USATEI
USATEI
USATEI
fixd
silmarilen
to all the ar9 haters: i hope they pick a nice jumpy ar8 map is one of the future rounds, like ivaltek or something
fartownik

silmarilen wrote:

to all the ar9 haters: i hope they pick a nice jumpy ar8 map is one of the future rounds, like ivaltek or something
Yeah, that'd result in only one thing: no one picking that map.
silmarilen
make it the tie breaker
fartownik
Tiebreaker is freemod.
silmarilen
fuck
pooptartsonas
Then the team down 2-3 would intentionally lose so they don't have to publicly humiliate themselves
Darksonic
Are there any pro player that could hate ar 9? if so this owc will be a pain for them ;)

ar 8 sucks
Mismagius

silmarilen wrote:

this, please
buny

silmarilen wrote:

err, how many ar9 haters are there?

honestly i haven't seen many people that hate ar9 other than the ones that literally only play ar10 maps and get C on them.
Icyteru
wait....so people hate AR9 cause it's too slow?

Wut.
Soarezi

MaDBoY94 wrote:

We will just show our godlike powers off. And then everyone will bow to the power of Estonia! Mwhahaha
good luck.
silmarilen

[AirCoN] wrote:

Wut.
read through the past couple of pages, there was a small discussion about wether the tiebreaker should be freemod or not, and one of the arguments was that the map was hard to read with ar9
Almost

[AirCoN] wrote:

Wut.
If you only play AR10+ and nothing else, then it looks incredibly slow.
show more