forum

Primary finger?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid
My primary finger is my middle finger, i do all my tapping with it. But after a while I've been noticing people use their index fingers, is it preference or is one actually better than the other?
Aqo
preference

some people use ring finger too. it all boils down to what you practiced.
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid
alright, thanks was feeling a little insecure for a while, and thought i might have to make the switch. xD
Zare
I'm practicing clicking with both fingers and switching randomly to loose the limitation of having a "primary" finger.
Just something to consider, since weird slider-circle-stream combinations can confuse you and force you to use the nonprimary finger for primary beats
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid
never thought about that, guess that's my next goal becoming proficient with both fingers! after I can S ar8 or above xD
Darksonic
Nah, it only depends on what you get used to, both index and middle are okay, and if you use both and play alternating them it's cool too but it's a hard technique that takes more time to get used to (Maybe not that much if you start to play since the beginning like this), which is used by these who aren't fast enough using a finger only in the songs that are required to tap fast, then by alternating you save some stamina and maybe some speed.
Itoshira
Mostly using my index. Sometimes using my index and middle if I really need to press that fast.
those
Right index finger, left click
LoLonginus
Index finger, I've been trying to practice switching between both fingers every other note just so I don't get tired faster.
buny
i've used middle finger since i started playing and honestly i feel like index finger would have been a better choice
Although it's not likely to be the case, I did notice that index primary players are tend to find that high "instant speed" are reached easier, while middle primary players are tend to feel kinda simple about duration and accuracy requirements.

That's something I feel suspicious about, since there's nothing scientific to support this claim, I can't say for sure... But just call it a hypothesis, and who knew, it might work in some situations.
Gretsch
I use index and ring finger on x and v and alternate tapping between both fingers.
Qplayer
I managed to get a callus on my index finger. Damn single taps.
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid
tried index for a while and it seemed i could tap faster with it :o but accuracy did drop. well back to square one, gonna have to train my index finger. to reach the same accuracy as my middle then maybe both fingers will becoming amazing and i'll finally be able to play all those pesky streams
Almost

lanxmas wrote:

tried index for a while and it seemed i could tap faster with it :o but accuracy did drop. well back to square one, gonna have to train my index finger. to reach the same accuracy as my middle then maybe both fingers will becoming amazing and i'll finally be able to play all those pesky streams
That's not going to make you any more accurate at streams.
usa

Almost wrote:

lanxmas wrote:

1. Start middle finger
2. Switch to index finger
3. Didn't do anything/Still suck
4. Switch to full alternate to cover shame

hope my story helps op =w=/
Tshemmp

buny wrote:

i've used middle finger since i started playing and honestly i feel like index finger would have been a better choice
same, high speed jumps seem way easier with index, but starting streams with "the other finger" completely kills my accuracy
and I am too lazy to train it
smoogipoo
Used index finger since back when I started osu!.
It suddenly died one day ~4 months ago having practiced for many hours the previous days (I assume it was fatigued or something).
Switched to ring finger as my primary finger, which also helped in streams because I'd start streams or alternate combos with this finger whilst index was primary. Took ~1 month to get used to it and I'm still bringing my tap up to shape.

If I were to give a piece of advice - don't switch fingers, and don't think about changing your playstyle like I did because you saw some pro player on YouTube. I've probably wasted 1 year of my time in osu! 'resetting' my playstyle 5 times (i.e. not minor changes), and I didn't gain much from doing so that I wouldn't have gained otherwise.
Rio-
Used Middle Finger since I started playing osu!... I want to change My Primary finger to Index finger too, but It's pointless since I already accustomed to with middle finger... It's better with middle finger for Me though.
RaneFire

usa wrote:

4. Switch to full alternate to cover shame
Sounds plausible.

I switched to middle-finger after 2 years of index-fingering. Found an instant increase in single-tapping speed, from the ability to use my wrist better. Stamina and transition between triplets/doubles improved too. I haven't even thought about going back to index.

Well... It IS preference. I think most people regard this as a mental thing only, but it's physical too. Remember we don't all have the same fingers. Some people can bend them in weird ways! There is also a naming system for the differences in length between your index and middle fingers.
Vertify

Almost wrote:

lanxmas wrote:

Indeed lol. Streaming is a different matter XD

I switched to alternating before single-tapping became a habit thankfully lol - my stamina was atrocious with using only one finger.
EcksDee
I guess to an alternating player their primary finger would be the one they start a song with?
In which case I start with middle and alternate every note.

(I actually have no idea how people can ever play without alternating every note but hey)
NixXSkate

Almost wrote:

lanxmas wrote:

it'll definitely help a bit
Almost

NixXSkate wrote:

Almost wrote:

it'll definitely help a bit
I'm as accurate with my index finger as I am with my middle finger and yet I'm fucking terrible at streams, so I highly doubt it.
beeboy123
I don't even have a primary finger QQ.
MiDNiGhT2903
I used to be only use my middle finger for anything other than streams. Then I played starcraft2 and when I came back to osu! I started using both fingers more. I don't know if SC2 have anything to do with it, but yeah...

I still use middle finger as main though.
plaatinum
shortpotato
started with middle finger then read somewhere that index finger was better so i use that now
daredakke
Index or middle finger.

I tend not to single one out for primary use.
show more