forum

Wacom Intuos Pen CTL-480

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
It's like the 3rd thread I make about tablet buying help, but i really don't wanna regret my choice after buying my tablet. I've recently come across this awesome looking tablet : the wacom intuos pen CTL-480 http://cimg.partner.shopping.voila.fr/s ... 80S-FR.jpg

Would that be a good tablet for practicing my drawing skills and for osu ?
thank u
Gretsch
I have that tablet. It works great
TakuMii
Most tablet players on osu! use Wacom Bamboo tablets, and that tablet is (pretty much) the next generation version. It's fine.
Weed
Pretty much the best tablet you'll get for this game.
wacats
I'm a happy user of it. :)

It looks better than the older generations like Bamboos too.
Sorun

wacats wrote:

How's the pen feel compared to the ctl460 and ctl 470.
Please

Sorun wrote:

wacats wrote:

i have ctl-470 and ctl-480, i'd say both of them feels the same
Frostmourne
I'm using this and I have to totally agree that it's better than older versions. The pen is really light and flexible once you are used to it and you get a pretty much distance between a pen tip and a board when hovering.
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
Is there any video showing someone playing osu with this tablet by any chance ? I couldn't find any ^^
wacats

Sorun wrote:

wacats wrote:

I didn't use any tablet before this. ;)

The Intuos CTL-480 is my first ever tablet so I couldn't compare it to other tablets.

However I personally think that the pen is more comfortable to hold than the CTL-470 judging by its shape. Or at least I am very happy with it.
pielak213
­
smoogipoo
I have both the CTL-470 and CTL-480, and I think buying the 480 was a mistake.

Firstly let's start with the rubber pads - on the 470 they are flat, rectangular pads about 1-1.5cm in length. On the 480 the pads are smaller (1cm or less) and rounded-cone shaped. This means that with the 480, there is less area for the pads to grip the surface (in my case a glass table), and will move around a lot fairly easily, unlike the 470 which is hard to move around. If you are a high-level player and you're doing DT, HR or really jumpy maps, you will probably find that the tablet will curve around and won't sit completely horizontal.

The area is a tiny bit larger than the 470. While you can't see it in OP's post, there are 4 really light-colored gray dots that show the actual area of the tablet, and they sit ~2cm from the edge of each corner. The tablet area (the silver part) is made of a material slightly rougher than the 470. It's about the difference between thick A3 paper and normal A4 paper. Your hands are probably going to sweat more on the 480 depending on your skill level and playstyle.

The 480's pen has a smaller diameter and length than the 470 counterpart. The 480's pen may be uncomfortable for people with large fingers - it is uncomfortable to me and I have pretty small fingers. Why is it uncomfortable? The button placement. When I hold the pen, the bottom button sits at the same level as my thumb and there is only ~20degrees of rotation before it reaches my thumb. I find that my pen rotates quite a bit during play and this is uncomfortable.

The design of the pen is similar between the 470 and the 480, with a few small differences-
The nib feels stronger and more responsive on the 480. What I mean by stronger is that there is less travel distance at maximum nib toughness (this is a setting in the tablet drivers).
The buttons on the side of the pen on the 470 are smooth and move when you touch them without pressing them down (though this might be a fault with my pen since it's gone through some heavy abuse). This is unlike the 480 which has matte-finished buttons that don't move when they're touched.

All in all - I abandoned my 480 and went back to my 470 due to the pen's diameter and the tablet moving around too much.

Case #1 - You already use a tablet. In this case going from an old tablet to a 480 will feel awkward because it will move around and the surface is a bit rougher.
Case #2 - You don't already use a tablet. The first tablet you use will be a 480 and you'll likely get used to it fairly easily.

In both cases, I recommend getting a CTL-480 as it's the newest generation, and newer is almost always better. What I've just rambled about is pretty subjective - influenced by my playstyle and the fact that I've used my 470 for around 2 years.
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
Indeed, it's gonna be my first tablet , so i guess that's even better :D
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
Is there by any chance a video of somone playing osu with this tablet ?
Dexus
Here's a video

I went from a CTH-470 when it first came out to the current CTH-480 (Medium) [Full tablet fullscreen]. I bought velcro tape and taped my tablet to my desk. It's cheap and ensures you get the same spot every time when you remove your tablet. The drivers for the 480 series are far superior mainly because the "Disable windows ink" option. Then pen feels great because it has a little weight in it to counterbalance the pen to ensure it stays steady. It works nicely and I think new tablet players would enjoy just the small CTL-480 (non touch version). It's a lot better than my first tablet; a Bamboo Fun when that first came out years ago (2009).
Omgforz
Basically what Dexus said.
I got my intuos pen 2 days ago and I went from full area cth470 to the intuos pen full area. The smaller pen definitely was a problem at first, but I got used to it, just like the bigger area. I actually like the decisions made by wacom with the intuos pen.

In case you need another video
Frostmourne

Omgforz wrote:

In case you need another video
swag
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
Should i buy a pen and touch version or not ? Can't decide D: I think i pen only version would be appropriate for me, but still.
Omgforz

filsdelama wrote:

Should i buy a pen and touch version or not ? Can't decide D: I think i pen only version would be appropriate for me, but still.
Don't buy pen and touch, did that with the 470, wasn't worth it. It's completely useless.
TakuMii

Omgforz wrote:

filsdelama wrote:

Don't buy pen and touch, did that with the 470, wasn't worth it. It's completely useless.
Not for the Intuos line though. The CTL-480 doesn't have an eraser on the pen, while the CTH-480 does. None of the 470 models have erasers (you'd have to get the larger CTH-670 for that).

Also, the CTH-470 has buttons while the CTL-470 doesn't, and I find them useful for opening programs like AutoHotkey (so I don't have to remap when I switch from right-handed mouse to left-handed tablet) and TabletTapToClick (to prevent the cursor from sticking when I touch the nib on the tablet). This doesn't apply to the Intuos because the CTL-480 has buttons.
Dexus
The cursor skip is from wisptis.exe (windows ink) registering pen flicks. For older tablets you had to manually prevent it from opening by renaming the file or deleting it. With the 480 series you can disable Windows ink with a simple check box from the tablet preferences. There is no need to use that TabletTapToClick program with the 480 series.

The buttons, touch input, and eraser are useless if you're just going to be playing osu! Do you really need those for an extra $30? I will tell you this, you can't disable the touch input with the CTH-480 and it's really annoying at times. Besides, the touch input just makes your tablet a big laptop tracpad.
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
Actually i'll use this tablet for both drawing and osu!, the eraser seems very usefull and there is also that pen holder included with the CTH-480 version . But i think i'm gonna stick with pen only D:
TakuMii

Dexus wrote:

The buttons, touch input, and eraser are useless if you're just going to be playing osu! Do you really need those for an extra $30? I will tell you this, you can't disable the touch input with the CTH-480 and it's really annoying at times. Besides, the touch input just makes your tablet a big laptop tracpad.
That seems like a downgrade from the last generation then... my CTH-470 gives the option to disable the touch input. I'd assume the touch input would be much more accurate than my tablet though (Bamboo drivers don't handle touch very well and I've heard that it's better with the Intuos drivers), and IMO it'd make as a viable playstyle if it was accurate enough.
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
I have a finale question about this tablet. What would be the best active area for both osu and drawing ? Cuz i really don't wanna switch between full active area (when drawing) and portion (for osu!), that's going to confuse me, right ?
Full Tablet

filsdelama wrote:

I have a finale question about this tablet. What would be the best active area for both osu and drawing ? Cuz i really don't wanna switch between full active area (when drawing) and portion (for osu!), that's going to confuse me, right ?
For drawing: Full area.

For osu!: whatever you find comfortable. Full tablet area is good IMO.
Topic Starter
chokbar de bz
But wouldn't that confuse me if I always switch between full and portion ? Will , if i switch , can still get good at osu with a different tablet area than for drawing ?
Also, should I "force proportion" or not ?
Omgforz
It's going to be a nuisance, and you're better off not switching areas constantly. Rather get used to full area on osu! and resize the osu! screen, than constantly change areas.
show more