forum

osu! World Cup 2013 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Loctav

pielak213 wrote:

does the local times for usa take into account dst?
It does only take the time into account that the team was registered with (the one named in the local time). Is there any issue?
pielak213
usa has a thing where time goes back one hour this sunday. i'm not sure if your time is incorrect or something is wrong with my mind

edit: sorry i was being dumb. it's all good now
Topic Starter
Loctav

pielak213 wrote:

usa has a thing where time goes back one hour this sunday. i'm not sure if your time is incorrect or something is wrong with my mind
Well. I used the time zone that has been used while registering.
I can adjust the set times according to the Daylight Saving Time. Just tell your captain to request a time zone change.
Lytessill

Nyquill wrote:

Just to confirm: This match will be streamed on my channel because its not official in the sense that its not part of the tournament. We're also going to probably be running some parallel things to check quality before we go run the actual matches next week.

That said, I hope you're all hype for OWC2013!

Lol feeling stupid for asking this but can i have a link to your channel?
Synchrostar

evan129994 wrote:

Nyquill wrote:

Just to confirm: This match will be streamed on my channel because its not official in the sense that its not part of the tournament. We're also going to probably be running some parallel things to check quality before we go run the actual matches next week.

That said, I hope you're all hype for OWC2013!

Lol feeling stupid for asking this but can i have a link to your channel?

fartownik wrote:

So yeah, Poland and Germany are organizing a friendly match tomorrow at 5PM UTC (6PM GMT+1). The match will be streamed for testing purposes at http://www.twitch.tv/Nyquill. Tune in if you're interested.
Tommy Yang
I would like to address an issue regarding the rankings for group stages.

Just for reference
Rankings of each group are determined by sorting the results of each team's performance in the following priority:

1. Most matches won.
2. Have higher {(the number of maps won) - (the number of maps defeated)}.
3. Most maps won.
4. Have higher ∑{(total score difference) / (maximum score)}.
5. Winner of the rematch.
I believe that number 3 may need to be revised.Intuitively, winning more maps seems deserving of a higher rank, it's important to note that it is only taken into account if the two higher priority results (matches won, and maps won to maps lost) are equal. If two teams were equal in matches won, and equal in maps won - maps lost, this current ranking system would declare the team with the lower win/loss ratio as the team with the higher rank.

For example
Let's say there is a group consisting of 4 teams facing each other in best of 7 matches, so each team plays a total 3 matches. In this group there are two teams, Alpha team and Gold team. Alpha team wins 2 matches 4-3 and 4-3, and loses one 3-4. Gold team wins two matches 4-2, 4-3, and loses one 2-4.

In this case both teams have won two matches and lost one. So they are equal in most matches won (priority number 1). Alpha team has won a total of 11 maps and lost 10, while Gold team has won 10 maps and lost 9. Thus in regards to priority number 2 (Have higher {(the number of maps won) - (the number of maps defeated)}.) They are equal as well.

This means that we must go the number 3, most maps won. Alpha team has 11 wins as opposed to Gold teams 10, thus Alpha team would be the higher rank. But there is a problem here, Alpha team has played a total of 21 maps and won 11 of them. Alpha team's win rate is 11/21 or about 52.4%, on the other hand Gold team's win rate is 10/19 or about 52.6%. While these values may seem close, what's important is that Gold team has won a greater percentage of their matches.

In fact no matter what numbers you produce, if you assume results 1 and 2 of two teams to be equal, the team with the lower percentage of wins, and consequently the higher percentage of losses, will be the higher ranked team.

I believe that priority number 3 should be changed to the team with the higher percentage of wins as that would be a better reflection of which team is more deserving of the higher rank.
buny

Angusman wrote:

I would like to address an issue regarding the rankings for group stages.

Just for reference
Rankings of each group are determined by sorting the results of each team's performance in the following priority:

1. Most matches won.
2. Have higher {(the number of maps won) - (the number of maps defeated)}.
3. Most maps won.
4. Have higher ∑{(total score difference) / (maximum score)}.
5. Winner of the rematch.
I believe that number 3 may need to be revised.Intuitively, winning more maps seems deserving of a higher rank, it's important to note that it is only taken into account if the two higher priority results (matches won, and maps won to maps lost) are equal. If two teams were equal in matches won, and equal in maps won - maps lost, this current ranking system would declare the team with the lower win/loss ratio as the team with the higher rank.

For example
Let's say there is a group consisting of 4 teams facing each other in best of 7 matches, so each team plays a total 3 matches. In this group there are two teams, Alpha team and Gold team. Alpha team wins 2 matches 4-3 and 4-3, and loses one 3-4. Gold team wins two matches 4-2, 4-3, and loses one 2-4.

In this case both teams have won two matches and lost one. So they are equal in most matches won (priority number 1). Alpha team has won a total of 11 maps and lost 10, while Gold team has won 10 maps and lost 9. Thus in regards to priority number 2 (Have higher {(the number of maps won) - (the number of maps defeated)}.) They are equal as well.

This means that we must go the number 3, most maps won. Alpha team has 11 wins as opposed to Gold teams 10, thus Alpha team would be the higher rank. But there is a problem here, Alpha team has played a total of 21 maps and won 11 of them. Alpha team's win rate is 11/21 or about 52.4%, on the other hand Gold team's win rate is 10/19 or about 52.6%. While these values may seem close, what's important is that Gold team has won a greater percentage of their matches.

In fact no matter what numbers you produce, if you assume results 1 and 2 of two teams to be equal, the team with the lower percentage of wins, and consequently the higher percentage of losses, will be the higher ranked team.

I believe that priority number 3 should be changed to the team with the higher percentage of wins as that would be a better reflection of which team is more deserving of the higher rank.
welcome to owc
XPJ38

buny wrote:

of course the times are scheduled poorly

buny wrote:

welcome to owc
Why are you even posting here?
buny

XPJ38 wrote:

buny wrote:

of course the times are scheduled poorly

buny wrote:

welcome to owc
Why are you even posting here?
because i can

it seems like each owc, the organising gets worse and worse
Wishy
Just change most map won to highest map win ratio and that's it.
Topic Starter
Loctav

buny wrote:

Seems like you lack of attention again, uh?
If you dislike the organization, feel free to not participate. dramaqueen

Angusman: will revise that. You seem to have a valid point but I am still unsure if the weighting of the 4-3 and 4-2 wins are more fair with that.
buny

Loctav wrote:

buny wrote:

Seems like you lack of attention again, uh?
If you dislike the organization, feel free to not participate. dramaqueen
i just wanted to know the exact time that the map pools were going to be announced, and you give me such a vague response that didn't even answer my question.

yes i dislike the organisation, and also at least the schedulers last year actually TRIED to give reasonable time slots to each country which is why i think the organising is worse than last years owc. I'm also not participating in rounds i can't attend (inb4LOLyouwerentgonnagetfaranyway, i was only playing for fun and the anxiety of vsing other countries, the mighty america in particular just to see the gap of skill level) if that makes you happy.

no need for the name calling, we're not in preschool.

since i've said what i've wanted to say, there's no need for more drama. I just wanted to get this off my chest

GL to all countries in owc
Topic Starter
Loctav

osu! World Cup 2013 - Wiki wrote:

The maps for each round will be announced by the mapset selectors one week in advance. Only these will be used during the respective matches.
aka: Sunday.

And where did you ask for the map pool release date? lol
Unfortunately even if you would've give me time frames, the time zone you are living is is like sdejfskfsdkfk (UTC+13), so anything you'd have give me would not have worked, anyways.
Anyways, the reason why we stopped asking teams is because the teams messed up everytime, because they failed to hand in times or tried to change it 100 times.
JappyBabes

buny wrote:

since i've said what i've wanted to say, there's no need for more drama. I just wanted to get this off my chest
You know there was a form a while ago regarding feedback with tournaments being one of the topics, right?
buny

Loctav wrote:

osu! World Cup 2013 - Wiki wrote:

The maps for each round will be announced by the mapset selectors one week in advance. Only these will be used during the respective matches.
aka: Sunday.

And where did you ask for the map pool release date? lol
Unfortunately even if you would've give me time frames, the time zone you are living is is like sdejfskfsdkfk (UTC+13), so anything you'd have give me would not have worked, anyways.
Anyways, the reason why we stopped asking teams is because the teams messed up everytime, because they failed to hand in times or tried to change it 100 times.

the anticipation is killing me.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Captains get notified as soon as I push the pool. (It's still Saturday, so no need to hurry)
Mikelicious

jesus1412 wrote:

Ya, the UK ones were about 1.5mb, the one I've got new is just over 500kb tho so I guess it's fine.
I just changed the size and of Argentina´s one, its over 500kb as well now, hope its ok x)
jesse1412

-MikexD- wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

Ya, the UK ones were about 1.5mb, the one I've got new is just over 500kb tho so I guess it's fine.
I just changed the size and of Argentina´s one, its over 500kb as well now, hope its ok x)
Now we both have shit tier banners!

UK and Argentina for #1 and #2, let's play again this year.
Salvage
The obvious issue with this is that the first match will be on friday, a week before in advance it's applied to the last match of the groupstage?

A little bit odd imo but well.
Topic Starter
Loctav
We will try to release the schedules and mappools right after the last match of the previous stage, which is approx. 1 week in advance.

Only group stage gets scheduled on Friday, all knock-out stage matches are on either Saturday or Sunday
Salvage
Fair enough then, problem was we had a good chance to practice on weekend for people who works on the week and needs to practice for early matches on friday, i think it's balanced as well since maps shouldn't be as hard being on groupstage so it's still not a biggie.
fabbbyyy v2
When are the maps gonna come out?
I know today but when today
Arrival

fabbbyyy v2 wrote:

Noriko

Arrival wrote:

fabbbyyy v2 wrote:

Perfect mapset is perfect
-Ryosuke

Arrival wrote:

fabbbyyy v2 wrote:

I wish it was true. I could beat Korea at spinning. </3
fartownik
Wow thanks for letting us practice the maps from the mappack in advance.

Not.
Melt3dCheeze

fartownik wrote:

Wow thanks for letting us practice the maps from the mappack in advance.

Not.
inb4 No official mappack
Arrival
It is still a training.
fartownik
I was being sarcastic for the maps not being released yet.
Melt3dCheeze
I was referring to the officials picking maps on the day. Anyways, I hope you kept your promise Loctav that you picked the right maps :)
fartownik

Rules wrote:

The maps for each round will be announced by the mapset selectors one week in advance.
This means the maps were meant to be released on Friday already, since the first matches are on the next Friday. It's Sunday and they're still not up. I would not pick this up if not the fact that the staff had a real lot of time before the tournament even started to pick the proper maps.
Pizzicato
soon™
Moonpower

fartownik wrote:

Rules wrote:

The maps for each round will be announced by the mapset selectors one week in advance.
This means the maps were meant to be released on Friday already, since the first matches are on the next Friday. It's Sunday and they're still not up. I would not pick this up if not the fact that the staff had a real lot of time before the tournament even started to pick the proper maps.
Nah man, you should be glad you can participate and stuff. If you don't like it don't participate, amiright? Just shush and the almighty organization will continue doing whatever they want.
fartownik

Moonpower wrote:

Nah man, you should be glad you can participate and stuff. If you don't like it don't participate, amiright? Just shush and the almighty organization will continue doing whatever they want.
I find it funny how the word 'almighty' only comes with sarcasm and the movie Bruce the Almighty.
Melt3dCheeze
If they couldn't hit their deadlines, it does say a lot tbh. From what you said Moonpower about the participants being "humbled" to compete, I feel sorry for Bahrain.
Darksonic
Things on time.
Topic Starter
Loctav
What part of "Sunday" didn't you understand? You guys are weird.
pielak213
isn't it sunday already? also some matches are on friday so imo they should've been released on friday so we can compain about them earlier
Dexter_old_1
Dear to whom it may concern,

Who will be the streamer?

Regards,
Dexter
Vish024
That's on the wiki.

Streamers: Nyquill, kingking9, Love, ShinseinaTenshi
show more