forum

[invalid] Disable Kiai [Epileptic Users]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +332
Topic Starter
_dog
Some of us seem to forget that there are epileptic users on this game, and even with the option to disable storyboard or reskin, the flash is still there and can bother some eye sensitive users. There should be an option to disable all flashes in the options menu. A toggle of sorts. This will help a lot.
I've seen at least three complaints from epileptic users, and really think this could help. Apparently the flash isn't the same as skins and willt ake a bit of work to go in and code, but the option will greatly help a percentage of our users.
FrzR
I'd agree on this. I may not be epileptic but i'm concerned about them.
MarioBound
Sounds like a really good reason to me :)
xxbidiao
bump this up although I'm not epileptic at all :D

Kiai itself distract me from reading objects :o Don't know how you think
Trash Boat
sorry to ask this, but what is Kiai?
TheVileOne
The flashing fountains and objects you see in game.
quaternary
Anything to open this game to more players.
Kyujuroku 96
I support this. This will be good for the game since it will atract new players +4
Marcin

S v p e r wrote:

I support this. This will be good for the game since it will atract new players +4
What. I suppose you mean new players as epileptic one?
emonite
What...a player that actually cares about others who have disorder?! Need to support!! :)
Fact: I have eczema and it's quite bad compared to an average one so I actually do feel people's pain when they do not have a normal person's mind and body.
Spare
im not Epileptic but i agree
MMzz
Yes.
BeatofIke
Not bad! Support!
Akali
Supporting because what OP said + shiny stuff isn't really pretty but just annoying.

+ it makes my laptop drop frames or I don't even know what that lag is
Leeg
Have you any empiric proof that effects such as kiai (I mean, taking into account its intensity and flashing) are REALLY that harmful for epileptic people??

I mean, we can't disable things at random without really knowing if these things are risky or not.

Anyway, in that case, I would support making two different osu! clients, one without ANY effect at all (and without the possibilty to enable them), specially made for epileptic users, and leaving the one we have now without any editing. why? so that people who are not really epileptic can't disable such things, so as to force them to choose a boring and dull osu!client, or stay with the normal one.
NicoNicoNiii
Definitely supporting, but not for its annoyance to regular users. Making separate clients is really a bad idea as no one can stop them from getti g the other client. It must be toggle-able from the options. When even I have bad time with kiai its just not a good thing to force it to epileptic people. (My fiancé is epileptic)
Leeg

Zakkyliar wrote:

Definitely supporting, but not for its annoyance to regular users. Making separate clients is really a bad idea as no one can stop them from getti g the other client. It must be toggle-able from the options. When even I have bad time with kiai its just not a good thing to force it to epileptic people. (My fiancé is epileptic)

The thing would be that the restricted client for epileptic users would have EVERYTHING disabled, and you would not be able to toggle single options. So that the users who are requesting this feature without being epileptic, just because they want Kiai off, would have to choose between playing with a dull osu!client without any effect, or learning to cope with kiai in the normal client.

Probably two clients wouldn't be needed, just an option to disable EVERYTHING, but without allowing you to enable single things.
Lolzy
You dont have to be epileptic to get annoyed by kiai so if a "normal" user want to disable it i cant see the problem, plus write the code for a button to enable/disable kiai would be faster than write and takes updated an other client.
Trash Boat
i'm sorry to say this, but i think it should be backwards. instead of the osu! mods be aware of epileptic players, the epileptic players should not play osu! for its own safety. there are several games that announce that that game has strobe lights that may not be appropiate for certain players
Lach
It's possible to nullify kiai time in standard, at least, via skinning star2.png to a blank png and disabling shader effects. There's still subtle glowing, but nothing flashy.
completist_old
I support it, not because of Epileptic users, but because my laptop stuck when circles begin to glow in Kiai. I think this causes some burden to GPU, and simply make me unable to pass some beatmaps.

In order to make osu! run more fluently on basic computers, we should give users the ability to disable this feature.
show more