forum

osu! MIE (editing multiple .ini files)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pixeldesu
After 3 hours of coding I made some kind of simple program.

osu! MIE

(osu! Multiple ini(-file) Editor, still searching for a better name)

What is this?:
MIE is a editor/listing for multiple ini-files inside a skin folder, if they're not in there, osu.ini will create them for you! No need to keep track of each file single (or searching all different values from templates, etc.), you only select your skin folder and osu.ini will load every .ini (which is currently supported by the game).

Also, with the descriptions shown in the bottom of MIE, even the most unexperienced people can learn the default ways to change colours, and so on.

Note: This is just a concept, most of these features are missing right now! (but I'm working on them to add them as fast as possible)

Planned features:

• - Adding better descriptions to each setting/value
    - Saving/Loading all .ini-files at once (via FolderBrowserDialog)
    - Adding a ColorPicker (as some little extra)
    - etc.
Done:

• - listing the default skin/4k.ini, 5k/6k/7k/8k missing.
    - adding descriptions to the skin.ini-elements.
Source available at GitHub:
https://github.com/pixeldesu/osuMIE

The program in it's current state is pretty unusable, you can see what is planned, but you can't save/load files yet. If I reach a state of usability I will put a download in here. (I also need to do some code cleanup and stuff, so it will take a while)
peppy
could you call it something better (less ambiguous)?
Topic Starter
pixeldesu

peppy wrote:

could you call it something better (less ambiguous)?
yeah, I try to find a better name (even though it's not that easy to find a name for something like this ;;' )
peppy
i'd suggest something with "skin" in the name.
PyaKura
I don't usually mess around with my skins' .ini files but this will surely come in handy. GJ.
Oinari-sama
I play with skin.ini from time to time, but I sometimes forget the keyword and a program like this will save a trip to the Skinning forum.

One suggestion though: if you really want to make it "beginner" friendly, the program should contain brief explanation/tooltips for each settings. MLGnom already has a good guide written up so it'll be a matter of presentation.
Topic Starter
pixeldesu

Oinari-sama wrote:

I play with skin.ini from time to time, but I sometimes forget the keyword and a program like this will save a trip to the Skinning forum.

One suggestion though: if you really want to make it "beginner" friendly, the program should contain brief explanation/tooltips for each settings. MLGnom already has a good guide written up so it'll be a matter of presentation.
Yeah, I already planned to add the descriptions from the skinning thread (of course with a mention to it, then) to the program!
Primula_old
Name suggestion: osu!skini

Looks good. :3
Adding to the previously mentioned, be sure to provide detailed explanations: Maybe include minimum/maximum values and possibly example usage for the more obscure variables.
alxnr
Colors preview would be nice (and colors picker as well, if possible)
Shiny Neko
Download link is down. Pls change it ^^