forum

Bit Trip Core mode?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
aRiskOfRain
New mode idea time!

What is BT: Core?

Bit Trip Core is a Wii Ware rhythm game, where you "make" music by shooting beats that fly in from all directions. You play as the cross in the middle, and by pressing an arrow button and the shoot button, you fire a lazer in that direction, and hit the beats in time with the music.

In this picture, you see the beats flying in from the top, and when they get level with your cross, you "shoot" on the beat.

SCREENSHOT:

YOUTUBE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdu7Le9IBs

How to translate this to Osu!

Well, as you can see, it already takes place on a rectangular playing area. Where the Osu! mode beats are placed depends on two factors which will translate to the new mode.

1. What quarter of the playing area they are in.
2. Which of the lines of the cross it is closer to.

Say your beat is in the top left area, and closer to the up on the cross, when you play it, that is where the beat will go. Simple really.

Combos will be illustrated by different colour beats. Hitsounds will stay the way they are. HP bar stays the same. Depending on the difficulty settings, the beats will be bigger and smaller accordingly, more margin of error, how fast they scroll in, etc, etc.

The angle notes will come in at will be relative to the previous note. However if they are missed where they are supposed to be hit, they will move until they intersect another one of the "arms" of the cross perhaps 2 to 4 beats later.

Sliders will be played like the "bounce" notes, where when you hit them, they bounce, then you hit them again at the end of the slider. In the case of a long slider, this bounce may move to the opposite side of the screen.

Spinners will be played by either:

1. Spamming arrow keys/wasd/whatever.
2. Hitting a spam of 1 beat/half beat/quarter beat notes (depending on difficulty)

I believe it would be a welcome addition to Osu! Comment, troll, flame, praise, be confused, or whatever.
anonymous_old
Your explanation was so well the video depicted exactly what I thought the game was going to play like. =]

The problem with your translation method is alting. Unless one can play with both the arrow keys and WASD or ESDF or similar, I doubt more difficult maps could be played.

Still, this sounds pretty cool. =D
5ku112
Your description was perfect. This could translate well into Osu.

I put full support into this, great idea!
anonymous_old
I would like to see this.
Xgor
The main problem i can see so far is that how sliders and spinners should work....I can see this as a forth mode though and i support this!
Echo
It would be near impossible to translate a beatmap into something for this game. From the looks of the video, the main part of that game is the design for the way the patterns fly around/into the screen. Something like that can't be generically created from the information stored in a beatmap.

If you take away the patterns, then this is no different from DDR/SM/etc.
anonymous_old
Maybe the relative directions and distances between notes can determine the patterns of the "beats"?

Longer distances may have larger notes (making the map harder to time and read, similar to making things a bit harder in standard). Direction can be angle information mapped to 90 degrees, which then show the direction the note comes to the bar. (E.g. zig-zag at 45 degrees would cause notes to come from 45 to 135 degrees alternating. Hope I'm explaining this right. =X)
Topic Starter
aRiskOfRain
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
I think spinners should have you "spin" using the keys. E.g. up, right, down, left and left, up, right down are valid orders for a spinner. I would guess the number of correct presses would equal half the number of presses required for a Taiko spinner?
Topic Starter
aRiskOfRain
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
I think you should come up with an exact algorithm (pseudocode or otherwise) for translating osu beats into these flying beats.

You haven't addressed things such as which side of the screen the notes should fly in from (it's not always the side closest to the direction you're supposed to hit) and how to recreate the way notes fly (eg. spirals before hitting, notes that change velocity, etc.), things that I feel are extremely important to this game.
RandomJibberish
The different patterns the beats make could be changed by hitsounds perhaps?
adamskii_uk
Divide the screen into a grid and assign a different set of predetermined parameters into each grid square. The direction, wave type, and the speed of the objects, and other parameters could be determined by the square that the hit circle is positioned on the beatmap.

An example of beatmap parameters:

HPDrainRate:4
CircleSize:4
OverallDifficulty:4
SliderMultiplier:1
SliderTickRate:1

A number of different grids could be created with their own parameters assigned to them, and the total score for all of the above beatmap parameters (4+4+4+1+1 = 14) could determine which of the grids is used on the beatmap. And the colour of the hit circle, sounds, etc, could toggle between additional/extended grid parameters, such as effects, and so on.

An example of some parameters in a single grid square:

Object speed = 4
Wave type = ZigZag C
Acceleration = 2.5
Direction Angle = 35 degrees
Chaos = 17%
Trail effect = 2

This method could also work well with any other future game modes. ;)
Esupanitix
+3146969065609189576960598169069761740137032576493765836493765893265913753750326

SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT.
Randy96
@weegee: If that's supposed to be pi, it's wrong.

On topic: If this COULD be implemented, it would probably take awhile to make and/or code.
So, +0.5 support