Topic Starter
Pettanko
How do I learn to play hidden mod?
Aqo
Here are your options:

1. Posting about it in the forums

2. Not playing hidden

3. Playing hidden

Pick the option that you think would help you improve in hidden the most.
Marcin
I would choose 1.
(me runs)
Hello Skitty
well you only need to hidden everything and youll eventually get the hang of it. i have also heard that easy mod and low ar helps, dont know if its true because i havent tried
Almost
Easy mod and low AR don't help to play hidden actually. Hidden isn't actually hard at all, just spend a few days playing nothing but hidden and then you won't be able at your best without it.
buny
because it gives extra score
Topic Starter
Pettanko

Aqo wrote:

Here are your options:

1. Posting about it in the forums

2. Not playing hidden

3. Playing hidden

Pick the option that you think would help you improve in hidden the most.
Can I use a lifeline?

Nah seriously though the only time I can use hidden is when I pretty much memorized the map.
pielak213
­
Almost

Pettanko wrote:

Can I use a lifeline?

Nah seriously though the only time I can use hidden is when I pretty much memorized the map.
You're playing hidden not flashlight, if you need a lot of memorization then you're doing it wrong.
Setsuen
If you're actually listening/expecting the rhythm Hidden should be easy for you. I started out using HD mod FIRST before HR because I found it WAY easier.(Low AR+Easier spinner clear) If you're going memorize the map then it's not HD anymore.

If you really want to learn to use HD, start playing Easy/Normal songs with them. That's what I did anyway.
Weed
HD =/= FL
Lelion
Personally I find hidden easier with higher ar. Anyways, just play with hidden on all the time and focus on the rythm and the hitsounds and you will get a lot better at reading eventually.
yoyomster

Almost wrote:

Pettanko wrote:

Can I use a lifeline?

You're playing hidden not flashlight, if you need a lot of memorization then you're doing it wrong.
There would be at least two cases where you have to memorize it in my opinion: overmapping and notes stacked on top of each other (in older maps).
But yes, hidden should be just about focusing on rhythm and hitsounds instead of hit approach circles.
GoldenWolf
You don't have to memorize overmapping, just expect to see 1/4s at any moment

Weird stacks sometimes needs memorization tho
Zakdawg
Well which part of hidden is hard?

Is it because there is no approach circle so you can not follow the rhythm?
Listen to the rhythm.

Is it because you do not remember where the circle is?
Play more hidden.
Also hidden is easier with a higher approach rate because the amount of time the circle is hidden before you need to click is reduced.
Topic Starter
Pettanko
Some of my main problems:

1. my cursor feels very "slow" whenever I play hidden, not sure why

2. distinguishing between 1/2 note stacks and 1/4 note stacks

3. trap notes, especially ones underneath repeat sliders

4. missing pattern jumps a lot more frequently

Recently I"ve been forcing myself to play with hidden on all maps and I feel like I'm just getting worse at the game. Maps with notes I normally don't miss when playing on HR / nomod I end up missing now even when I take off hidden.

Should I practice hidden by sightreading maps or by playing stuff I already know?
Full Tablet

Pettanko wrote:

Recently I"ve been forcing myself to play with hidden on all maps and I feel like I'm just getting worse at the game. Maps with notes I normally don't miss when playing on HR / nomod I end up missing now even when I take off hidden.

Should I practice hidden by sightreading maps or by playing stuff I already know?
1. ???
2. You can see how fast they appear on screen more easily with a good skin (transparent hitcircles, numbers that are easy to tell apart, etc...). This usually becomes harder with low AR IMO.
3. If you feel that in some moment the beatmap is "missing" a beat, you can press the missing beat where it would be missing (the place where it is most likely you failed to notice the circle, and that doesn't break the flow of the beatmap).
4. Simply, practice. Snapping to notes is usually easier than trying to flow though them for jumps while playing hidden IMO.

For practicing Hidden I think it should be more effective to play maps you haven't played before so you don't rely on memorization.
buny

Pettanko wrote:

1. probably because you aren't used to not seeing approach circles
2. easily distinguishable by the beat or with a good skin
3. can be distinguishable with a skin
4. try to use snap movement. You probably miss them because you can't read it without the approach circles

i'd say practice maps you already know with hd, and then start to sightread maps. There's no point in trying to sightread if you can't read to begin with
idkhowtoclick
Here is the ultimate tip for everything.

Problem: I can't do x.
Solution: Practise x.

Though it's hard to do that.. I'm a living proof. 18k plays and I keep getting worse all the time ^^... maybe because i get angry idk
pielak213
­
Almost

idkhowtoclick wrote:

Though it's hard to do that.. I'm a living proof. 18k plays and I keep getting worse all the time ^^... maybe because i get angry idk
Practicing certain aspects of osu generally make me worse at others.
idkhowtoclick

Almost wrote:

idkhowtoclick wrote:

Practicing certain aspects of osu generally make me worse at others.
Then practise everything?

I might have that too, except I keep getting worse no matter what I do xD. I can't even get close to fcing maps that I have fced like 2 months back..

I guess I just need a break.
Dexus
I also get weird cursor slow down while using hidden. It also happens to me when it's low AR and there's a lot of notes clustered on the screen. I can't do maps like Scarlet Rose because of this. It's rather difficult to ignore this when your cursor keeps causing slider breaks or your jumps get cut short for no reason. It's a big reason I don't have very many hidden scores and why I lack rank really shouldn't have said that part because it's probably why it caused everyone to flame.
Cokezi-

Dexus wrote:

I also get weird cursor slow down while using hidden. It also happens to me when it's low AR and there's a lot of notes clustered on the screen. I can't do maps like Scarlet Rose because of this. It's rather difficult to ignore this when your cursor keeps causing slider breaks or your jumps get cut short for no reason. It's a big reason I don't have very many hidden scores and why I lack rank.
lol, slow cursor.. Definitely BS.

I've been using hidden and hard rock since I started the game so I notice absolutely no difference..
buny
you get slow cursor because you're reading based on ar
Dexus
I'm definitely certain it's misinput. I play full tablet fullscreen 1:1 ratio and when I play without hidden the cursor moves fine. When I add it my cursor kind of eases into where it should be going instead of snapping. Turn pre-rendered frames on to 3 and turn aero on and play windowed with vsync on, this is what it's feeling like to me when I play hidden or when there's a lot of objects clustered on the screen.

Just today I was playing hidden and double time for a long time and slowly the latency got worse. Eventually the game crashed without an error message. You're really telling me something isn't wrong?
Topic Starter
Pettanko
Thanks for all the advice, after playing every map with hidden for the past few days, I feel like I improved a little bit, at least my cursor feels more normal now. It used to feel sluggish but now it's more snappy. Still having trouble with reading triples especially on hr+hd but I guess I just need to play more.

pielak213 wrote:

Pettanko wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/Uvyv3C0.png
nice reverse arrow to prevent
Gonna use this to see if it helps, thanks.
WingSilent
The main problem for me with hidden is the fact that notes just after a slider are stacked on it, erm.. it just annoys me too.
show more