forum

I feel I can't improve anymore.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Skvimpa
Up until 2 weeks ago I could really feel myself progressing.

I could beat faster maps, do harder patters and spin faster etc etc, but now I feel as if I can't improve more, that I can't get better. It feels as if i've hit my own limit, which sucks.

anyone else feel like this sometimes?
Blaziken
I feel like that right now. I want to get better but I just can't. I know how to improve tho I just don't feel like doing it since I reached a place where I don't care for it but just to have fun.
Topic Starter
Skvimpa

Blaziken wrote:

I feel like that right now. I want to get better but I just can't. I know how to improve tho I just don't feel like doing it since I reached a place where I don't care for it but just to have fun.
How? Playing the same map and failing at the same places everytime doesnt feel like it helps, so how would you do?
usa
inb4 "practice more"
anyways, sometimes the best thing is to stop playing for a few days or a week if you've been playing nonstop.
let your body and mind recuperate, and you'll be ready to play at your peak again.
also, there are a dozen other threads like yours so search those up.
Hoax_old
Skill will always decrease in its rate of improving. What I mean by that, when you first start playing this game you improve rapidly, but the more you play the less you see for overall returns. But somethings that can help you improve is: Download new beatmaps, Play songs youve already beat on HR, go down a difficulty and beat it on DT. All these things are how I try to improve.
PyaKura

usa wrote:

inb4 "practice more"
anyways, sometimes the best thing is to stop playing for a few days or a week if you've been playing nonstop.
let your body and mind recuperate, and you'll be ready to play at your peak again.
Basically this. Even though I never play standard, being a mania player, this is what I find the most effective way to "improve" (though I wouldn't really call it "improvement", because there is no way that someone can get better without playing for a while). It's exactly as usa said. After stopping for a while, when you play again, it will feel awkward at first, but your reflexes and all the stuff related will quickly come back, and you'll - somehow - get better results in the end.

Not only this happens in osu!, but whenever I stop playing something else and come back to it later I feel like I do better. So yeah, try this. Actually, this is what I'll be doing from now on, as I feel like I've hit a "skillwall" in mania too. After a few days, I know I'll get better scores or acc.

Also, if you look closely, I'm sure you can notice some improvements when looking back on these two weeks. I also thought it's been some time since I last felt like I've improved, but in fact I see an increase of my acc or my scores on some maps (even if it's 1 or 2% more, or a few thousand more points - mania is capped at 1M max score - they are still slight improvements.)
Weed
Not everyone improves at the same rate. But there's always room for improvement. I've also had times where it felt like I couldn't improve. But two weeks later I could definitely see I was better. Just practice and have fun!
Cozzzy
Initial progression will always be the fastest - I doubt you've maxed out after only a few months :) a lot of the time you'll progress even if you're not feeling it, and only notice any results a few weeks later on random "good days". Just play whatever's fun/challenging and you'll surprise yourself after a while, or focus on weakest areas (like aim or whatever)
Zakdawg
Its cool... I havn't improved for the last 10 months either. :)
pielak213
­
Story
You're always improving you just don't feel like it, you'll probably notice it soon. This happens to everyone. You just felt like you hit a wall but you're still improving.
Tekklorn
Get more maps and play them, go back to old beatmaps that you couldn't beat before and beat them, go back to the stuff you could beat and get an even higher score on them. Do those things and in no time you'll be getting better.
Thatgooey

usa wrote:

inb4 "practice more"
This is very solid advice. I am currently doing my week off, and highly recommend taking them. Every 6-8 weeks I force myself to take time off, much like with weight lifting. The body and mind need breaks!
darkmiz
take some breaks, and play more challenging maps
allenl11
I feel like I'm hitting a wall as well in my playing... Just out of curiousity, what level should I be at 4 months of playing? What are songs that I should be able to play?
GoldenWolf

allenl11 wrote:

I feel like I'm hitting a wall as well in my playing... Just out of curiousity, what level should I be at 4 months of playing? What are songs that I should be able to play?
This isn't the right question to ask, everyone improves at different speed, depending on what kind of maps you play, how well you understand how rhythm works, etc.
enik
You guys didn't even hit the Insane level and already giving up, huh? No wonder you got bored from playing Hards. You won't improve without motivation, what for do you want to get better? Personally, I see 3 reasons in this game:

1. self-improvement - push your own limits
2. fun - be able to play/play better fun maps which are currently above your level
3. competition - compete with other people and set good scores

Not sure about the first one, you just have to feel like it, but for other 2 there're easy solutions: get more maps (download all of them, seriously, it's 4 torrent files and 1 hour of downloading) and play everything; get some in-game friends around your level share good maps and have fun together.

Blaziken wrote:

I want to get better but I just can't. I know how to improve tho I just don't feel like doing it
Makes no sense, you don't want to.
iSpR1Te

enik wrote:

Not sure about the first one, you just have to feel like it, but for other 2 there're easy solutions: get more maps (download all of them, seriously, it's 4 torrent files and 1 hour of downloading) and play everything; get some in-game friends around your level share good maps and have fun together.
Link to torrents?
Moonpower

iSpR1Te wrote:

Link to torrents?
Hmm there is a sticky thread named "Beatmap-Torrents", I wonder if they could be found there...
buny
improvement slows down a lot

people think they don't improve but they actually do, the gain is just so slow that it's hard to realise that you're actually improving at all.
iSpR1Te

Moonpower wrote:

iSpR1Te wrote:

Link to torrents?
Hmm there is a sticky thread named "Beatmap-Torrents", I wonder if they could be found there...
Yes, but he said 4 files. I see like 20+. Which 4 has all of the ranked beatmaps? I guess I don't understand these/any torrents.
enik

and 2 more torrents for the most recent ranked maps.
show more