forum

Pain above my wrist (tapping hand)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bonobo
I was wondering if anyone has experienced wrist pain above their wrist (towards their hand), I thought it might be the starting signs or carpal tunnel but I get no pains in my fingers or numbness, the closest thing I get is a pain near my thumb. Has anyone ever had this and be able to come back in a few days and be able to play again? The problem is the pain ONLY happens when playing osu and I can't seem to recreate it outside of osu. The thing I find strange is a lot of people get carpal tunnel pain in their mouse/tablet hand but I've never had any pain on that side :/

Put where the pain seems to be

Edit: Also forgot to add that my forearm/wrist start to feel incredibly hot
smoogipoo
What keys do you use to play osu! ? I found a long time ago when I played with 6 & 8 and ring/index fingers that the same pain as you described would occur. My hand got better after switching to Del/PgDn where my fingers are more relaxed than stretched out.
buny
you can get carpal tunnel on any
probably more common on your tapping hand since it is doing a lot of movement especially in fast bpm map.

just take a break more often. there's no point in playing when you're completely worn out
Sieg
same thing when I play :\
Zare
^ best pic

OP: If you think it's serious, see a doctor. If it's not, stop being a pussy
RaneFire
Posture of the hand is also quite important. The wrong posture induces strain (even when playing casual slow maps).

I would suggest adjusting the height at which your wrist rests, either by moving your keyboard around or placing something under your hand, until you find a more relaxed position. (I'm assuming you use a keyboard?)

Changing your keys also helps.
Thatgooey
Do stretches a few times every day, before, during, after playing, at night, when you wake up. It is probably not carpal, but rather RSI. Carpal you will notice the burning along with numbness, loss of strength in the thumb, middle, and pointer finger, and a weakened grip. I would say that just about every single person on here who thinks they have carpal has some form of RSI. The best way to deal with RSI is to stretch, and most importantly, rest. Stretching will provide relief and allow you to play osu, but rest and taking a long break are the only things that will ultimately get rid of it. If it isn't affecting your life, and it only burns while playing, then I would just make sure to stretch properly like any other physical activity.
Topic Starter
Bonobo

Thatgooey wrote:

Do stretches a few times every day, before, during, after playing, at night, when you wake up. It is probably not carpal, but rather RSI. Carpal you will notice the burning along with numbness, loss of strength in the thumb, middle, and pointer finger, and a weakened grip. I would say that just about every single person on here who thinks they have carpal has some form of RSI. The best way to deal with RSI is to stretch, and most importantly, rest. Stretching will provide relief and allow you to play osu, but rest and taking a long break are the only things that will ultimately get rid of it. If it isn't affecting your life, and it only burns while playing, then I would just make sure to stretch properly like any other physical activity.
Thanks so much, I'll try that after I take a week break from osu.
- Hourai -
I don't know this pain above my wrist while tapping. But i have pain in pen hand...

Amefuri Koneko

- Hourai - wrote:

I don't know this pain above my wrist while tapping. But i have pain in pen hand...

Same issue, both with mouse and tablet. Also my left pinky is acting weird too, when I stream it streches and points upward XD
boat
Embrace the pain and burn it as fuel.
Tsukimi Luna
step 1. stop playing?
Soulg
no hand pain, but if I play long enough I get really sore in the back of my neck/top of upper back. :S
buny

boat wrote:

next day carpal tunnel
Voidn

Soulglol wrote:

next day carpal tunnel
I believe carpal tunnel effects only the first four fingers severly (Thumb, Index, Middle, and half of the Ring finger).

If you think you have carpal tunnel and are worried about what to do, then you should this:
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/156184
buny

Voidn wrote:

Soulglol wrote:

next day carpal tunnel
I believe carpal tunnel effects only the first four fingers severly (Thumb, Index, Middle, and half of the Ring finger).

If you think you have carpal tunnel and are worried about what to do, then you should this:
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/156184
i'd just go to a doctor.
Kert

Soulglol wrote:

no hand pain, but if I play long enough I get really sore in the back of my neck/top of upper back. :S
Change your chair or table
It worked for me
boat

buny wrote:

boat wrote:

next day carpal tunnel
worth