forum

Decommissioning of the announcements forum

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Moving forward, we will not be announcing things here. There is a new home for announcements on the front page, using a tumblr back-end. If you are reading this on an rss feed reader, you don't need to take action. The feed will switch to the new source automatically.

An example of the new formatting can be seen here: https://osu.ppy.sh/news/60440803370

This forum will continue to exist and allow posts until the monthly beatmap contest ends, at which point it will be archived into a read-only state.

For those interested in reasoning, this is part of my push to reduce our dependence on the forum system. There are usually better methods of doing stuff than forums, so bit-by-bit I'm working to tidy up the osu! ecosystem and make things a lot easier to process, digest, edit and collaborate. Let me know if you have any issues with this change in this thread.
[Dellirium]
Okay, now I understand what that entry in the changelog means.

I wonder how many people have read this via RSS.
xxbidiao
The feedback page seldom show up due to network instability.

(In my region I think osu! forum is more stable than disqus) No they are all very unstable
Topic Starter
peppy
lol ;(
Low
farewell dear forum

you will be missed
Bobbias
I hope you find a better solution for tech support. I'd have thought making that useful should be higher on the list than getting rid of the announcements forum.

I'm interested in what other things you plan on moving away from the forum.
Topic Starter
peppy
What's wrong with tech support?
Bobbias
Issues only ever seem to be addressed if it's the sort of issue that affects many players in a bad enough way for them to be willing to hop on and post about it. Most threads end up with little to no response from anyone. I've posted about bugs and literally never gotten a response before.

I'd love to see something where I can actually sort bugs by their status (confirmed, assigned, closed, requires confirmation, etc.) and where duplicates can be easily and quickly dealt with such that they no longer clutter the first page or two.

Mind you, I realize that since this is essentially a 1 man project, it doesn't necessarily make sense to have some massive system for bug tracking, but I really feel like the forum interface is lacking.
TheVileOne
Keeping track of bugs is not perfect, but it is manageable. The part about issues being tended to is simply not true. We reply to threads when we have knowledge to fix the problem. If we cannot assist you, then we will tend to not post. we try to respond to as many people as possible, but we cannot always get to everyone.

I will say this. Support Team doesn't have a system in place to ensure issues get resolved. Harder to resolve issues tend to get buried.
XPJ38
Since osu!news is getting more importance, you should make its link more visible on the homepage. Right now, it doesn't look like a link but more like a simple header title with no link.

BeatofIke
RIP forum! :(
Oinari-sama

XPJ38 wrote:

Since osu!news is getting more importance, you should make its link more visible on the homepage. Right now, it doesn't look like a link but more like a simple header title with no link.

omg that's a Link?! I seriously didn't know till you mentioned it.
Bobbias

TheVileOne wrote:

Harder to resolve issues tend to get buried.
Which is what happened with my issues. I tend to only post issues which tend to be harder to deal with, or tend to be more obscure then the sort of thing that affects everyone enough to cause a general response.

Beyond that if you can't reproduce the bug, it's pretty much guaranteed to be ignored, even if it happens to be one of those cases where a bug is simply very difficult to properly reproduce (because not every bug is easy to reproduce).
Kodora

BeatofIke wrote:

RIP forum! :(
Topic Starter
peppy

Bobbias wrote:

Issues only ever seem to be addressed if it's the sort of issue that affects many players in a bad enough way for them to be willing to hop on and post about it. Most threads end up with little to no response from anyone. I've posted about bugs and literally never gotten a response before.

I'd love to see something where I can actually sort bugs by their status (confirmed, assigned, closed, requires confirmation, etc.) and where duplicates can be easily and quickly dealt with such that they no longer clutter the first page or two.

Mind you, I realize that since this is essentially a 1 man project, it doesn't necessarily make sense to have some massive system for bug tracking, but I really feel like the forum interface is lacking.
It's not one-man. We have a support team. Every thread is read. Duplicates are marked as such. Issues which are important are marked as confirmed (or low priority, depending on priority). They are automatically sorted. Things work as well as they can.

We have tried external bug systems in the past and it just reduces the number of issues which get reported, due to the overhead involved. We also have zendesk which helps people having non-bug-related issues, and provides automatic responses to common issues.
Topic Starter
peppy

XPJ38 wrote:

I don't plan on using the tumblr site, due to limited integration options.
xxbidiao
However I hope that if we can use forum (or somewhat ) search to find later information on announcements.

It would be great if 2 sites' information would be integrated to be searched.
(Or a dummy forum that duplicates every content in the new announcement system)

If not, I can imagine the situation happening in the future:

A: "I didn't find the solution why the newest update is failing"
B: "Did you searched the problem?"
A: "Yes and nothing there"
B: "Where did you search?"
TheVileOne
I will have to make a habit of visiting the main page. I usually go directly to the forum part of the site.

Perhaps there will be a way of notifying users in game of announcements.
Topic Starter
peppy
A lot will be changing.
Lally
it's interesting the new style of the forum but personally i prefer the actual one wich is more simpler and clearer
Lust

peppy wrote:

A lot will be changing.
so hype
show more