forum

inviting people into private chat

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3,817
show more
ReVeNg3r
2x promoted 8-)
Ableh
support this
she_old

Kanye West wrote:

What's the difference between this and a third-party program such as Skype?
Skype (usually) doesn't get logged by someone not in the chat
primrose
Support (I don't have any star :o )
Lally
bump o3o more support here
D33d
No stars, but supporting. Not everybody wants to switch to a separate chat client for the sake of having a small group chat.
ieb
Great idea
Miya
I like this, support :3
We can also do tag modding by this private chat, oh i love to see it. Having different channel to discuss an issue is kinda anoying =3=
Dark_Ai
yap yap a f*cking nice idea
Huskatron
+1
Kirino Kousaka

Ephemeral wrote:

This would be useful for IRC modding collab maps.
Wow, I've been wanting this. And finally here are people with the same idea \:D/ Support.
Shinzui
Here, have 8 stars. This would be perfect.
nrl

theowest wrote:

There must be an limit of some sort. Or else this would start to require moderating if things happen.
If the channels are created by users they can be self moderated by the user who created the channel by simply restricting the channel to be invite-only. The creator of the channel could have the power to silence users within the channel, remove users from the channel, blacklist users from the channel, limit the size of the channel, set whether invites can come only from the creator of the channel or from any player in the channel, and pass control of the channel to another user within the channel. Self-contained, non-persistent, private, and self-moderated. I don't see any problem with it other than implementation, and while this obviously isn't a super critical thing to have it would be a really nice feature if it were implemented that would surely see plenty of use.
shARPII
go go for this feature!
(have 3 stars for this)
Maneuver
support
Graphite Edge
support +1
Bobbias

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

theowest wrote:

There must be an limit of some sort. Or else this would start to require moderating if things happen.
If the channels are created by users they can be self moderated by the user who created the channel by simply restricting the channel to be invite-only. The creator of the channel could have the power to silence users within the channel, remove users from the channel, blacklist users from the channel, limit the size of the channel, set whether invites can come only from the creator of the channel or from any player in the channel, and pass control of the channel to another user within the channel. Self-contained, non-persistent, private, and self-moderated. I don't see any problem with it other than implementation, and while this obviously isn't a super critical thing to have it would be a really nice feature if it were implemented that would surely see plenty of use.
You've hit the nail on the head. By default on any IRC server you are allowed to freely create rooms on (or at east every one I've been on) when you create a new room, you are appointed mod immediately, giving you full moderation privilege across the room. Hell, technically speaking someone could actually write a an IRC moderation bot that can log into bancho and moderate their room automatically. It would involve having the bot log in as an existing account, or require making a new account, but it stands to reason that this is perfectly doable and probably a good idea if private chat rooms were to be allowed.

Furthermore, I avoid most chat here specifically because I can't stand what happens when you have too many people in a room. It devolves into absurdities and immature garbage. I hang out in #osumania partly because I spend more time playing mania than standard, and partly because it's the only chat I can participate in that doesn't drive me mad. Small chat rooms between groups of friends allows people like myself to actually be social on a platform that otherwise would drive them away.

I've seen quite a few times where a bunch of my friends would all spectate someone just so we could chat in a private room. We shouldn't have to resort to abusing the system just to communicate in small groups.
ityka
Agree wholeheartedly with Bobbias above. actually somewhat surprised this feature isnt already in the game, as the feature exists in a standard irc channel, so I dont envision this as being too hard to implement. the quality of chat channels seriously degrade after a certain point, and it would be great to have somewhere not skype where you can chat to multiple friends at the same time.
peppy
Using #spectator is not "abusing the system". Please continue to do so (or use #multiplayer).
ityka
although multi and spectator are places where this is possible I'd like to be able to be to soloplay while still chatting with my friends in a chatroom. I spend most of my playing time solo playing, which a lot of people do, but I'd still like to chat inbetween retries and whatnot. in multi you're stuck playing the song the other people wants to, and they might be on very different skill level than you so you cannot possibly play the songs your friends can, and in addition to this its restricted to 8 people. in spectator you yourself cannot play, mod or do anything besides spectating and chatting.

In my opinion neither #spectator nor #multi fill the void of a private chatroom. not to mention that #spectator is a chat that literally anyone can jump in to.
Bobbias
I also spend most of my time playing solo. If I could still play solo and stay in #spectator it'd be fine, but sine that doesn't make any sense, I do think we should be able to have some way to chat with small groups.

I'm genuinely curious why you're against this, peppy, because I see no reason to not implement some better way to communicate with a select group of friends. Posting chat logs or manually relaying messages between friends (since some things shouldn't be posted to public rooms) is a HUGE pain. On top of that, if they were player moderated, there would be little potential for any sort of abuse of the system.
peppy
Player moderation will never, ever be an option.
As for whether we have more private chat options, that depends on when I get around to the team system I have planned.
Topic Starter
deadbeat

peppy wrote:

As for whether we have more private chat options, that depends on when I get around to the team system I have planned.
this is much better than the reply from 3 years ago <3

just wondering, if more private chats were added, would they be for clan/team chat only? or would it be added for more casual uses?
Bobbias

peppy wrote:

:< Well, at least I can understand that decision.

peppy wrote:

At least it's something.
Kairi
+1
would be helpful during the OWC weeks for team chatting (recruiting people, talking about pick strategies, etc.)
FireFoxZX
its a very good idea but it should either have a people limit or be a donator feature, either way there should be some type of moderation or moderation group to supervise the system. if it does come to that i will apply for the PMGroup moderation PMGM for short. it would be a good feature regardless of the complications and it would greatly enhance gameplay.
Ookami
I like the thought of private channels.

Whoooooosh?
Oinari-sama

FireFoxZX wrote:

its a very good idea but it should either have a people limit or be a donator feature, either way there should be some type of moderation or moderation group to supervise the system. if it does come to that i will apply for the PMGroup moderation PMGM for short. it would be a good feature regardless of the complications and it would greatly enhance gameplay.
Why should private chat be a supporter only feature?

And did you read through the whole thread?

peppy wrote:

FireFoxZX

Oinari-sama wrote:

FireFoxZX wrote:

Why should private chat be a supporter only feature?

And did you read through the whole thread?

peppy wrote:

not player moderation im considering another moderator group entirely i have read this topic thoroughly i am suggesting another type of chat mod that can group jump to check on things also it should be a donator feature to limit its use so mods are not overwhelmed

and it should also be a supporter only feature due to the possible misuse of this feature there are plenty of reasons why only supporters should be able to use this feature
Oinari-sama

FireFoxZX wrote:

not player moderation im considering another moderator group entirely

and it should be a supporter only feature due to the possible misuse of this feature.
That's not a valid reason for it to be a supporter only feature. Being a supporter doesn't mean that he/she won't abuse a system.

As for moderation I just see no necessity at all. Don't invite someone that needs to be "moderated" into your private chat. No additional moderation is necessary if it's not already handled by Bancho.
FireFoxZX
i just edited my previous statement reread it please (i edited it before you posted that lol)
Topic Starter
deadbeat

FireFoxZX wrote:

not player moderation im considering another moderator group entirely i have read this topic thoroughly i am suggesting another type of chat mod that can group jump to check on things also it should be a donator feature to limit its use so mods are not overwhelmed
if anyone will be doing that, it'd be the chat moderators

FireFoxZX wrote:

and it should also be a supporter only feature due to the possible misuse of this feature there are plenty of reasons why only supporters should be able to use this feature
i disagree. this should be an option for all players, not just supporters
FireFoxZX

deadbeat wrote:

FireFoxZX wrote:

FireFoxZX wrote:

i disagree. this should be an option for all players, not just supporters
it would be difficult to moderate for all players supporters or not and if we just added the chat moderators it would be no different than a new chat room
Wishy
If player moderation is not an option then allow users to create private channels with no moderation. XD
FireFoxZX

Wishy wrote:

If player moderation is not an option then allow users to create private channels with no moderation. XD
that wouldn't work becuse people could post inappropriate pics link to bad sites ETC.
we need moderation/mod group specifically for this feature
silmarilen

FireFoxZX wrote:

Wishy wrote:

that wouldn't work becuse people could post inappropriate pics link to bad sites ETC.
1: make them invite only
2: if someone start acting like a retard just make a new channel

altho i do think the creator should at least be able to kick people from that specific channel
Marcin

silmarilen wrote:

altho i do think the creator should at least be able to kick people from that specific channel
If private channels happen, then this should be possible. Then you don't even need moderators in there.
Topic Starter
deadbeat

FireFoxZX wrote:

Wishy wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

please listen to what is being said
FireFoxZX

firefoxzx wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

please listen to what is being said
think about how many chat mods how many of them spek english if this was a feature there would be around 500 every day there is no possible way that this could be moderated with any type of effeciency without having an entirely different mod group
FireFoxZX

silmarilen wrote:

1: make them invite only
2: if someone start acting like a retard just make a new channel

well if it was that easy you think it would have already been added, it needs a seperate mod group its not some tiny little chat room its many people in many groups at the same time it would be horribly hard to moderate without multiple people/more chat mods until then well it sorta can't be done without legal difficulty
show more