forum

[invalid] Spectating disabled/allowed only for friends

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +15
Topic Starter
SapphireGhost
This issue has been discussed in the past, but with the addition of the #spectator channel and "PM allowed only for friend" feature, it is worth bringing up again. If this is a duplicate of an unresolved thread, hopefully it still contains new ideas and reasoning to support it.

High ranking players often get messages from strangers about their playstyle and other various things, and only allowing private messages from friends is a good way to prevent this from causing the player a lot of stress. However, now that the #spectator channel has been added, strangers can still message and harass players in this way. In order for the player to only get the messages they want, it is necessary to both allow private messages only from friends and hide the spectator list in order to prevent the #spectator channel from being shown.

In addition, some players simply do not wish to be spectated. Even with a hidden spectator list, it is still stressful to know that others are judging them and their performance without their knowledge. They have the right to practicing and playing in private, and their scores will still appear to be watched as replays.

To conclude, disabling spectators or only allowing friends to spectate is a great solution to all of these problems. It is a better alternative to going offline so the player can still submit scores for the online leaderboards. Hopefully with this new reasoning, this feature can now be considered for implementation.
James2250
Disabling spectating completely has been denied way too many times and I don't see it ever happening, but allowing it just for friends (and probably an override for admins?) seems like a nice alternative. I always wanted something like this when I used to play a lot and immediately missed a note when someone started watching me, being so self conscious sucks. peppy was definitely against the idea back then.

That is also a good point with the PM limiting feature and the spectator channel, although I think this is more of an oversight than anything else. Would like to see what people think for this though. +1
Darksonic
Yes, yes yes yes and yes, I totally agree with this. There are some days that I suck so much (more than I'm used to) and I don't really wish to be spected for random persons, or when I have to practice some hard and popular maps (These which I know that I'll probably be spected) and I have to go offline to play them.

I always thought about this, it would be a really good feature for these that want to play without the random specs preassure, or just to have some relax plays.
uzzi
Definitely support this, and honestly thought such an option would be there from the start. Sometimes I'll end up spectating someone, and they really don't appreciate it and pm me to stop or something, and that's totally understandable, I feel the same way sometimes. With this, at least people who toggle this feature will have some peace of mind while playing.
FrzR
I am totally supporting this. I randomly get spectated by someone, makes me feel uncomfortable when playing. XD
peppy
Nope. Close #spectator and turn off spectator list. Or go play offline.
Topic Starter
SapphireGhost

peppy wrote:

Nope. Close #spectator and turn off spectator list. Or go play offline.
I have addressed those points in the opening post. Closing #spectator and turning off the spectator list still gives players the stressful feeling that they are being watched, and playing offline restricts score submission, both of which are undesirable conditions that would be resolved by limiting use of the spectate function. Even if it is not possible to disable spectating completely, limiting the option to friends is a reasonable compromise. Looking at the thread so far, I don't understand your firm opposition to this idea that many users are supporting. Can you give the community reasons why you will not allow this?
Chyo-Kun
That's what you get,Peppy marking this as "Invalid" for no reason. At least explain.

peppy wrote:

Or go play offline.
Why should you log out of your profile to simply be sure of not beeing spectated? Is it THAT unwanted to add a "Spectator allowed to friends only" line in the options?