forum

Area of your Bamboo tablet.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Arcanine
Full area and forced proportions.

I play on windowed widescreen mode because it looks better than 800x600 in my opinion.
Poligen
Well, this is mine. I originally tried to be all Cookiezi and play full tablet area, but I got lazy QQ

Tsukimi Luna

Moderately large
TakuMii
I've been playing a lot with my area recently, and I think I've settled on (the equivalent to) what I used when I first got my tablet.

Screen area is 1366x768, just like my 11" ultrabook. My window is 1228x768 (16:10) but that doesn't affect gameplay.
Minah

didn't force on purpose :3
Marqueur

Still hesitating between full or medium area.
Arcanine

Vhoxel wrote:

Full area is the way to go.
TakuMii

Vhoxel wrote:

You'll want to be using full area, or at least 75% of your tablet. Your 'medium' is too small IMO.
enik

I call my area medium.
Marqueur

Arcanine wrote:

Full area is the way to go.
Yeah, i played some beatmaps switching between full and small area, and i'm actually more confortable with full.
Also, osu's résolution is 800x600.
pitbull2k4
What do you guys with full area move to get across the tablet (arms/wrist)? I've tried full, but I feel uncomfortable having to move that much, beyond just the fact that I'm not used to it. I'd like to full area sometime though.
TakuMii

pitbull2k4 wrote:

What do you guys with full area move to get across the tablet (arms/wrist)? I've tried full, but I feel uncomfortable having to move that much, beyond just the fact that I'm not used to it. I'd like to full area sometime though.
A lot of people use their wrist, but personally, I rest the ball of my wrist on the edge of the tablet and use my fingers to move the pen around. It sometimes gets uncomfortable though.
Marqueur

pitbull2k4 wrote:

I personnaly play osu windowed, so i don't have to move too much.
Hula

Just upgraded to this from <1/4 of the space used, doing fast star patterns with a tiny area is really rough, but this helps a bit I think
JareDeZane

I'm stuck with this. Can't go any smaller/bigger.
Hula
SPOILER

JareDeZane wrote:

Isn't this area size really hard for you to do jumps on? Not to mention the random slider breaks?
Dexus

1920x1080 screen
1366x768 game window
1229x768 screen area

Everyone uses such tiny areas, must be hard.

Edit: Just noticed YayMii and I have the same but reversed settings, kinda funny.
Impossible to get 16:10 at 768p ;_; (it's 1228.8 for the width so I just rounded up)

I'll probably switch to 1152x720 screen area with 1280x720 game window.

You can get more precise mapping by using the Mouse keys
[ Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use ]

First I set the game window to the size I want my tablet to play with (I always use a 16:10 resolution) then I use the mouse keys to get a precise placement. Then I just switch the game to a 16:9 resolution and play on that.

I never change the tablet area. I really wish I had a bigger tablet so I could play on bigger resolutions and match the movements. I find if you're playing with a large resolution the inputs get misplaced because you're not moving the same distance as you are with your tablet.
Please

Dexus wrote:

1920x1080 screen
1366x768 game window
1229x768 screen area

Edit: Just noticed YayMii and I have the same but reversed settings, kinda funny.
Impossible to get 16:10 at 768p ;_; (it's 1228.8 for the width so I just rounded up)

[ Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use ]

First I set the game window to the size I want my tablet to play with (I always use a 16:10 resolution) then I use the mouse keys to get a precise placement. Then I just switch the game to a 16:9 resolution and play on that.

I never change the tablet area. I really wish I had a bigger tablet so I could play on bigger resolutions and match the movements. I find if you're playing with a large resolution the inputs get misplaced because you're not moving the same distance as you are with your tablet.
my area;
i think it's easier to play with a small area. well, it's a personal preference :)
RaneFire
84x63mm tablet area per 1024x768 resolution game window.
Hula
SPOILER

Dexus wrote:

1920x1080 screen
1366x768 game window
1229x768 screen area

If you practise enough, you create muscle memory, and you just have to make sure you place your hand in the right place on the tablet everytime when you're using small areas
JareDeZane

Hula wrote:

SPOILER

JareDeZane wrote:

Isn't this area size really hard for you to do jumps on? Not to mention the random slider breaks?
Not necessarily.

Naturally I can't stand the sensitivity of full tablet area since I'm a high dpi mouse user. (and my screen is small) This area is pretty comfortable for me.

Took me pretty long to practice jumps tho.
Dexus
For 3 years I used a tiny area and jumps weren't easy to be precise with. Yeah I was moving around quickly, but when tricky patterns came up I had to grip my pen to death to make sure I was precise. I realized playing full tablet just required more use of the arm instead of all fingers. Switching over was difficult at first, but after extensive playing with a full area it's very rewarding. I actually find it more fun too because you can really get into jumps.

I really would advise every play to play full tablet at least for a week to see how they feel about. Reducing the screen are and not the tablet area can make it more comfortable as well (if you're playing windowed that is). Fullscreen you can disabl GPU scaling and then lower the osu! Resolution until you feel comfortable with it.
Mamoru Senpai

Dexus wrote:

For 3 years I used a tiny area and jumps weren't easy to be precise with. Yeah I was moving around quickly, but when tricky patterns came up I had to grip my pen to death to make sure I was precise. I realized playing full tablet just required more use of the arm instead of all fingers. Switching over was difficult at first, but after extensive playing with a full area it's very rewarding. I actually find it more fun too because you can really get into jumps.

I really would advise every play to play full tablet at least for a week to see how they feel about. Reducing the screen are and not the tablet area can make it more comfortable as well (if you're playing windowed that is). Fullscreen you can disabl GPU scaling and then lower the osu! Resolution until you feel comfortable with it.
I tried it once and it felt so wrong. I couldn't even finish a hard map.
Trust

1366x768 osu! window & 1920x1080 screen

I'm considering a smaller window and using full area since i'm using almost the entire tablet area that force proportions fits to anyways.
TakuMii

Dexus wrote:

I used to have an area similar to Cookiezi's (my old area) and I noticed that my cursor was super-shaky when I played. It may have been my grip, but I noticed that it became much more steady and landing jumps were more reliable when I changed back to the settings that were default on my laptop (the screencap I posted earlier is replicating those settings on my desktop).
CodeS

Osu: Full screen.

I tried Many areas (Including Full and one really small), but this is the one I like the most :3
Lunanor
nrl

Dexus wrote:

I find if you're playing with a large resolution the inputs get misplaced because you're not moving the same distance as you are with your tablet.
Force proportions fixes that.
djjsixpack
Osu resolution is fullscreen. When I play with forced proportions I get input delay, but the area is identical to with it on.

Japowpow
My area:

As you might have guessed, I play fullscreen (borderless).
Full area.
daredakke

I used to play in a window, but since I switched to fullscreen I've found it so much easier to move around.

Maybe I should try out the full area sometime.
wacats

Contributing to the thread :D

Played with full screen.
Cyllinus
Jsdfbn
Don't use a bamboo tablet but w/e.
VisTablet PenPad
osu! res is 1028x786
MiDNiGhT2903
Too lazy to post pics.
I use the smallest area available, and put it near the center.
dpk-
my area;
i think it's easier to play with a small area. well, it's a personal preference
easy and more inaccurate ;)
PlasticSmoothie
I'd love to learn to play with a bigger area for more accuracy... but... I'm too impatient to re-learn muscle memory
[ Katsu ]

Increased the size to this just yesterday, still pretty small but it's comfortable.
MiDNiGhT2903
How do you guys even use full area OMG
I only use smallest area :D
show more