forum

Lists of milestone beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tollox
Hi,

I was wondering if there were lists out there containing beatmaps in a sort of logical difficulty progression that could be used as milestones in progression. Having a list of goals to slowly pass through could give a nice feeling of accomplishment and a bit of a sense where you're at on the skill ladder.

The closest I could find was this thread viewtopic.php?t=77719 but since its focus is one I don't particularly care for (jumping is just about the only thing I'm not extremely bad at), it isn't too usable for me.

A list of beatmaps with similar pattern styles to each other, but with increasing speed/bpm would be amazing. Would anyone happen to have such a list?

Thanks for any help!
Full Tablet
Topic Starter
tollox
That seems amazing. Thank you very much!

If I'm getting it right, I should look for maps with similiar aim scores and then find increasing speed values to get the effect I want?
Topic Starter
tollox
After trying some maps I'm not so sure anymore how well it would work for me. Aim doesn't tell me much, since my aim depends mostly on how readable the patterns are, what the speed is and how many streams there are. Meanwhile, hp drain seems to be the biggest influence on the passability of a map, since I won't be getting above 85% accuracy on the hardest beatmaps. The scores only seem to correlate very loosely to my ability to pass them.
Aqo
TP doesn't tell you difficulty of passing a map, it tells you difficulty of getting an FC. Some maps have low HP settings and are very easy to pass, while being insanely difficult to full combo, as well as the inverse which also exists.
When you're playing, I recommend you just keep nofail on and don't care about stuff like passing - because it's really meaningless. Focus on trying to full combo maps. Once you see you have below 3x miss on a map, take nofail off. The only disadvantage for this mod is that you would get -50% score but if you don't FC a map then your score on it is meaningless anyway (so basically you lose nothing).

As a beginner, don't look at aim/speed ratings separately. Just start by finding one map that you managed to FC on the list (even if you feel it's a random easy map, you need a starting point) and see its total level. Then spend time playing maps from 10 levels below and 10 levels above (total range of 20) around it. Aim for FCing. Work your way up gradually~

Some maps might feel too hard or too easy for their levels due to how familiar you are with the patterns they have, but overall you'll feel the consistency of difficulty when playing maps in the same range.
Topic Starter
tollox
Ah, I will try to focus more on FCing than passing. Thanks for the advice.

There's the unfortunate problem that I can't fc any of the maps in the top 1000, but I'll try filtering it a bit until I get closer to beatmaps my skilllevel.
Aqo
For now, just try playing as many different maps as possible. Do full runs with nofail and don't retry things more than 1-2 times. Once you have played 500+ different maps you will have some good experience with various pattern styles and it won't feel hard to FC the easier ones anymore.
Topic Starter
tollox
I'm pretty sure I've played more than 500 maps by now. If you consider different difficulties to be different maps.
I seem to be a slow learner in this game, or rather, I have become one. I haven't seen any real progress in the last 5000 or so plays. Perhaps I've just managed to peak at a rather low level. My mouse hand does fine, but the timing on the other hand is holding me back immensely (I can pass Holy Shit! It's Airman! on relax, but can't FC easy insanes for the life of me) .
Wishy
You should not count any difficulty below insane, maybe some hards.