forum

[added] Confirmation of returning to menu on pause menu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +44
Topic Starter
Maeglwn
I feel like a confirmation message after hitting return to menu would be nice. I've constantly been hitting return to menu when I'm halfway through songs on break and look at chat for a second on accident. It's frustrating having to completely redo songs because of an accidental misclick.

So I figure that putting a message that says "Are you sure you want to return to menu?" with a simple yes or no option wouldn't be a super hard thing to do. Or at least have it be an option so people who like exiting out of songs fast and going back to the menu don't have to deal with it.

This wouldn't need to happen on fail screens, obviously enough that's not as much of an issue on fail screens than it is on pause screens.

Thanks for reading. I might be alone in this and it might be my own stupidity, but I'm hoping that others can agree with this.

Edit: The Naive Tear brought up a good point in #osu, this should also be applied to retry as well. The same issue can be seen from both.
Koko Ban
this should be added on the retry button too so it can be used also as a workaround on this glitch t/142256

but yeah i know there would be people who would rather waste a very good run with misclicks because MUH FAST RETRIES!
Tekklorn
Supported, it'd be nice to have a work around to the glitch that KoKo Ban
Oinari-sama

Maeglwn wrote:

...this should also be applied to retry as well. The same issue can be seen from both.
Retry confirmation has been brought up and denied a few times already.

Meanwhile try getting into the habit of using keyboard shortcuts instead. Esc for pausing, Enter to resume and only click on stuff if you want to quit.
Tekklorn

Oinari-sama wrote:

Maeglwn wrote:

...this should also be applied to retry as well. The same issue can be seen from both.
Retry confirmation has been brought up and denied a few times already.

Meanwhile try getting into the habit of using keyboard shortcuts instead. Esc for pausing, Enter to resume and only click on stuff if you want to quit.
But like KoKo Ban said, it'd be a nice workaround to the bug that happens to tablet users
Marcin
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/112243
Buuut... there is this request too...

With this.... t/112436
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

Marcin wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/112243
Buuut... there is this request too...

With this.... t/112436
They are 2 completely different requests. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why that first thread was shut down at all; one is asking for confirmation, one is asking for a slight pause. Honestly, this method fixes both issues. >_>
jesse1412
No, this sounds annoying as fuck, you shouldn't pause during a good run. If it's that good then you won't want to lose the rhythm. I can see this increasing time wasted far more than the amount of time it takes to do a good play.
Koko Ban

jesus1412 wrote:

No, this sounds annoying as fuck, you shouldn't pause during a good run. If it's that good then you won't want to lose the rhythm. I can see this increasing time wasted far more than the amount of time it takes to do a good play.
^yeah you're one of those people i'm talking about.

just because you don't pause in a middle of a good play, this feature is invalid. this is just a minor inconvenience but it will fix a lot of issues in the game.
Ayesha Altugle
There should a toggle between that feauture

/me runs
Koko Ban
^that's a good compromise actually!

though it should be ticked on/checked by default.
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

vahn10 wrote:

There should a toggle between that feauture

/me runs
I'm getting the feeling that nobody's reading the entire post

going to bold it in the main post
Tekklorn

jesus1412 wrote:

And exactly how much time will that be wasting, hm? Personally, I don't see a problem with "Wasting" a second at most for this feature to be put into place, after all if it's a good play through then I'm more concerned about accidentally restarting it than "Losing the rhythm"
peppy
Please give examples of scenarios you accidentally click wrong buttons. I am willing to address this, but not in any of the ways specified above. If I know more about how/when it is triggered I can figure a solution.
OEvil
oh!
what about: Confirmation of exiting to menu while watching auto plays :\
Tekklorn

peppy wrote:

Please give examples of scenarios you accidentally click wrong buttons. I am willing to address this, but not in any of the ways specified above. If I know more about how/when it is triggered I can figure a solution.
Well on a lot of occasions, the bug to do with tablets happens where clicks on the tablet are "stored" so when I press escape to pause, where my mouse is pointing gets clicked and if this happens to be the restart button (which it usually is because the restart button is in the centre of the screen) then the song restarts (this bug: t/142256 )

Also, it would just be nice to have a confirmation when you want to quit or restart a song just in case you mis click, it doesn't happen often but it's very annoying when it does
jesse1412

Koko Ban wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

^yeah you're one of those people i'm talking about.

just because you don't pause in a middle of a good play, this feature is invalid. this is just a minor inconvenience but it will fix a lot of issues in the game.
I DO retry in the middle of good plays but it still sounds annoying as fuck.

It could possibly work if there were keybinds to go back to menu/continue/retry rather than clicking on buttons. "Press: x to continue, y to retry, z to exit to menu." This could even speed things up for retrying a map.
laport
What about: don't press escape while playing the game
Koko Ban

jesus1412 wrote:

I DO retry in the middle of good plays but it still sounds annoying as fuck.

It could possibly work if there were keybinds to go back to menu/continue/retry rather than clicking on buttons. "Press: x to continue, y to retry, z to exit to menu." This could even speed things up for retrying a map.
the "check box" OP suggested is already good enough.

laport wrote:

What about: don't press escape while playing the game

but how do you pause the game then?
laport
In between maps you take a break?
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

laport wrote:

so here let me get this straight

your genius idea for fixing the issue is not pausing while playing maps.

mmhmm probably the best idea I've seen in the entire thread

peppy wrote:

I do it while I have chat open. I alt tab out of the game for a second to go to skype or something and go to click back on the game again and hit the back to menu button on accident because chat covers the button up. It's a stupidity thing for me.
emonite

laport wrote:

I take a break all the time if play on a average 3 mins+ insane map, I already explained it on my userpage and I don't want to retype the whole thing again so support. -_-
Topic Starter
Maeglwn
oh whoops, forgot to go and bump this up again. I still feel like this is a decent issue. At least have it be a big deal on maps longer than 5 minutes. I guess that's where I get the most frustrated when it happens, on normal maps it isn't a massive deal :/
peppy
Okay, so most scenarios involve returning from alt-tabbing out, I will add a delay after returning to osu! where the retry/return to menu buttons are disabled (~0.5s). I think this should work for everyone.
Natsu

peppy wrote:

Okay, so most scenarios involve returning from alt-tabbing out, I will add a delay after returning to osu! where the retry/return to menu buttons are disabled (~0.5s). I think this should work for everyone.
Oh yes that will be awesome
peppy
Added in latest test build. Please try it out.
MillhioreF
Looking good from here!