forum

New Mode: "Beat Fighter"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Hitoshirenu Shourai
Too lazy to look for similar topics. So yeah. The idea is to make an osu! mode that's a beat-em-up type of gameplay while retaining the ability to play the song with a proper beatmap. Honestly, I have NFI how it'd work, but I thought I'd just throw the idea out there.

If nothing else, it'd be cool if you could skin Taiko mode to where it looks like you're punching and kicking the beats instead of drumming out. >_>

Feel free to ignore this, or add on to it if you can expand on the idea.
anonymous_old
/me slaps Hito.
yourMoonstone
I definitely think it's possible of regular beats, crashes, whistles, and claps are assigned to four buttons, similar to a punch, heavy punch, kick, and heavy kick in Street Fighter. Perhaps make it like Co-Op play where you switch on and off for combos, and basing the health of both players on their respective combo distribution, so someone with a stack chance wouldn't totally annihilate another player going 1/4.

I like the idea, but it might be complex to incorporate anything like movement. Have them in a static position like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots, but your accuracy determines how much damage you do would be neat. Not to mention there isn't really a 1v1 competitive mode where you switch back and forth on combos, so this would just be an extra step to do so. But it might be too extra.
Mukku
Holysheet, I support!

If there are four buttons to smash in rhythm, wouldnt that be DDR with keyboard? Wud be awesome
Atmey
This would be appropriate for a dancer type of dance, instead of dancing he beats opponents.
How is Pippy's dance progress?
Topic Starter
Hitoshirenu Shourai

Atmey wrote:

This would be appropriate for a dancer type of dance, instead of dancing he beats opponents.
Wow, I honestly didn't think of that. Now that it has been mentioned, I agree. XD
Mismagius
Imagine a fight with Marisa's streams.

BTW a good idea. :)
Hanyuu

Blue Dragon wrote:

Imagine a fight with Marisa's streams.

BTW a good idea. :)
hahhahahahaha

great !!!
qlum
doesn't osu! have enough game-modes already?
Mukku

qlum wrote:

doesn't osu! have enough game-modes already?
Sure but more good ones wouldnt hurt
Topic Starter
Hitoshirenu Shourai
With some ideas on the table, this is what I've thought of the mode so far.

"Beat Fighter" would be a mode in which Pippy (or other characters) would need your help to beat up their opponents. The enemies would probably be something like starting with a couple baddies, then a group of them, and eventually leading up to the boss. In terms of gameplay, since it would be a "dancer" type, it would probably function similar to DDR/StepMania/tons-of-differently-named-games-that-do-the-same-thing. We'd have our own custom arrows, and how you place the beats in editor may or may not decide whether the arrow is up, down, left, or right. IMO it'd work best if default circles were right, whistles up, finishes down, and claps left. On the screen or in the background or w/e, whenever you'd hit a default circle arror (right), Pippy would punch. Left is a backhand, up for uppercut, and down for a trip. Something like that.

So, that's what I've thought of so far.

Oh, and also, the keys used for the dancer would be changeable, but default would most likely be arrow keys.
Azure_Kite
I'm guessing using two hitsounds at once would require a multi key press? (up-down, down-left, etc)

Sounds interesting. I think it'd also be cool if the player started with set HP ( dependent on Length of map and HP drain), and misses made the enemy attack break through the player's defenses losing some health. Like fighting games it can't be recovered (or can only be recovered by button mashing in breaks?). I dunno, I doubt it's plausible though, but it would be cool.

Also, in terms of arrow placement, why not make it dependent on the region of the screen the beat is on?

Like CtB only x and y axis instead of x axis oriented
Mukku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Hitoshirenu Shourai
In that case, the beat placement on the grid would be the best choice. Just divide the grid into 9 sections where beat placement would decide what arrows are used. Of course, talking about such a thing is much easier than implementing it. =o

In terms of actual gameplay, it should be straightforward for the most part. Beats are single arrows, or depending on the placement, a combination of two arrows. Sliders would be "hold" arrows where you press the button and don't let go until the arrow ends, and spinners... well, I vote alternating the arrows in a "clockwise" pattern (Up>Right>Down>Left). Something like that.

Anyone else have thoughts as to what to do with spinners?
iDarkTraceX
When I read about this mode, I think about Rhythm Heaven. If you have played it, you know exactly what I am thinking about. For those who don't know what I am talking about, check this out.

We could have that type of animation, it'd be pretty cool.

But this "Beat Fighter" mode is an awesome idea.
Sleep Powder

Hitoshirenu Shourai wrote:

Anyone else have thoughts as to what to do with spinners?
Hmm...press random buttons to dodge incoming enemy attacks?

Spinners would have to have a limit of maximum points and movement that required speed.
Annime
Support u.u
Atmey

Hitoshirenu Shourai wrote:

Atmey wrote:

Wow, I honestly didn't think of that. Now that it has been mentioned, I agree. XD
I guess I wasn't very clear.
I meant that you would play osu! in a normal way. and there is a dancer in the background, like OTO and EBA. And assuming there will be many kinds of dancers (EBA agents, ouendan team, ouendan female team, blue school ouendan etc) one of them would be the fighter.
nooodl_old
Yeah, this is totally not a waste of time to make, and we don't have nearly enough rhythm games packed into one rhythm game yet -- nor are there enough stand-along DDR clones to do something like this in.

No support.
jonathan_old
All I'm thinking of is Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for Sega Genesis. With rhythm based gameplay. And less MIDI-ish songs.