forum

osu!Rank - [Android] - Your stats on your phone

posted
Total Posts
show more
Oinari-sama

power007 wrote:

We need not an "osu!rank" for andorid. We need actually osu! game. Osu!droid - sucks :(
People who do not contribute to a project should keep their mouth shut. The developer of osu!Rank spends his own time to bring the community this wonderful free app. If you don't want to use it, don't install it.

Nobody is getting paid by peppy to do this, now take your complaints somewhere else and don't come back again.

givenameplz wrote:

Alright, update 1.0.9.
The app (main GUI) looks a lot nicer now, good job!

I noticed that the search history from 1.0.8 was lost when I updated to 1.0.9. Any new searches performed on 1.0.9 are saved correctly so that's not an issue, just thought I'll mention it here anyway in case someone comes screaming "search history doesn't work!"

Some more feedbacks as usual:

1x1 Avatar Texts

Personally I find the Rank text kind of "offending" right in the middle of the user Avatar. I can think of 2 alternatives to this:
  1. Option1: move the Rank to the bottom of the Avatar. This should cater for 99% of the community members who uses a "head" for avatar
  2. Option2: Remove rank from the picture area. Allow user to touch the texted area to toggle rank/mode. You're probably gonna frown on this idea because it means that the picture and text area are now 2 separate regions. That may complicate the design, but I just thought that there's no harm in mentioning lol
Option1: Rank at bottom of Avatar
I'm too lazy to reproduce the shadow effect so you'll have to live with this crude solid underlay:

Widget Dimensions

It'll be nice to add a dimension in brackets after each Widget types. ie:
  1. osu!Rank (1x1 Avatar)
  2. osu!Rank (2x2 Icon)
  3. osu!Rank {3x1 Panel)
  4. osu!Rank (4x1 Wide Panel)
If the name gets too long you can simply consider ditching the word Avatar/Icon/Panel/Wide Panel and replace with dimensions only.
See the "NQ Android Booster" for example, this is a common practice in many apps and it's a nice to have:

Languages

How are the translations handled at the moment? Does the user have to download a separate app? There should be a menu item to change language settings in the future. (btw I'm not following what's going on with the translation project, so dw if the translated version is not yet released)

Spam Protection
There should be a mention about the Spam Protection somewhere in the main GUI. Maybe add an "What is Spam Protection" link into the menu, it'll need to explain the duration of the spam protection, how often this app refreshes the cache on server and don't ask how a user can change this frequency etc.

On the same issue, I always find the wait after I change a user/add a new widget is a bit long to be honest. Sometimes I don't know if the widgets are being refreshed or not so I touch them again, of course followed immediately by the Spam Protection message. You might want to consider temporarily lift this spam protection when a user display is changed from the main GUI. Alternatively there can be a text display eg "Refreshing" displayed on all widgets as soon as the refresh starts, so the user knows that the app is doing something and will refrain from clicking again (and trigger the spam protection).
Topic Starter
givenameplz

power007 wrote:

We need not an "osu!rank" for andorid. We need actually osu! game. Osu!droid - sucks :(
I am sorry to hear this, but I am afraid I can't do anything about the "osu!droid" project, as I am no part of this project.
Please remember that the developer of the "osu!droid" application is doing this for free and is spending his own free time on this.

Oinari-sama wrote:

I noticed that the search history from 1.0.8 was lost when I updated to 1.0.9. Any new searches performed on 1.0.9 are saved correctly so that's not an issue, just thought I'll mention it here anyway in case someone comes screaming "search history doesn't work!"
[...]
Urk, sorry! I forgot to mention that I changed a lot regarding the Configs/Settings/Preferences, whatever you might want to call them, so they might get lost if you update. I could've merged them with the new system, but I simply didn't. If I do future changes to those system, the Search History won't be lost.

Oinari-sama wrote:

1x1 Avatar Texts
Personally I find the Rank text kind of "offending" right in the middle of the user Avatar. I can think of 2 alternatives to this:
[...]
Haha, "offending" might be the right word for this, I think I can manage something else, I won't use the toggle function you mentioned, I am no fan of this. Hehe.

Oinari-sama wrote:

Widget Dimensions
[...]
If the name gets too long you can simply consider ditching the word Avatar/Icon/Panel/Wide Panel and replace with dimensions only.
[...]
On several phones, there is already a line, saying how much place is taken by the Widget, so I thought this might be unnecessary.
I don't like the Idea of the "ditching the names", because the Widgets are somewhat different and I think those names describe them best.
I'll think about this.

Oinari-sama wrote:

Languages

How are the translations handled at the moment? Does the user have to download a separate app? There should be a menu item to change language settings in the future. (btw I'm not following what's going on with the translation project, so dw if the translated version is not yet released)
Oh well, why not. For now this was only decided by the language set on the phone, as we have a new fancy Settings menu, I'll implement this, Force English will be obsolete then I guess. Haha.

Oinari-sama wrote:

Spam Protection
There should be a mention about the Spam Protection somewhere in the main GUI. Maybe add an "What is Spam Protection" link into the menu, it'll need to explain the duration of the spam protection, how often this app refreshes the cache on server and don't ask how a user can change this frequency etc.

On the same issue, I always find the wait after I change a user/add a new widget is a bit long to be honest. Sometimes I don't know if the widgets are being refreshed or not so I touch them again, of course followed immediately by the Spam Protection message. You might want to consider temporarily lift this spam protection when a user display is changed from the main GUI. Alternatively there can be a text display eg "Refreshing" displayed on all widgets as soon as the refresh starts, so the user knows that the app is doing something and will refrain from clicking again (and trigger the spam protection).
There will be lots of changes to this within the next update, I will consider most of your points there. Its hard to find a good balance for this, but I got a few ideas the might work for this.

As always, thanks for the feedback & ideas, I will consider them and try to improve the application further.
If there are any other things that look odd or seem to not work correctly on other phones, please feel free to consult me.
Kyujuroku 96
The new changes look awesome. Good work!! Let's see if I can finish instaling Live-Android, so I can give this a try.
nanashiRei
Nice, you should add QR code to download :)

Topic Starter
givenameplz
API changes
Lets see.
As some of you migh have noticed, osu!Rank wasn't able to update. This was due to the recent changes in the osu! API I was using, 1.1.0 will fix this again.
There are a lot of changes inside 1.1.0, as everytime, they are listed inside the Changelog.

SpamProtection
Biggest difference is that I completly removed the SpamProtection, I now handle possible spam otherwise.
You might find other small changes because of that, such as automaticly updating Widgets after you configured them inside the application.
But also some possible downsides, clicking on a Widget now only updates one at a time, but due to the new system this won't bother much.
(You will most likely use the click event only to clear the "Rank up/down" notifictation.)
On a sidenote, the Widgets still update every hour.

Translations
Due to Oinari-samas idea, I included a language selection, this makes "ForceEnglish" obsolete, thus I removed it.
Again big thanks to S v p e r for his spanish translation and jyvii for the french one.
You are doing a great job there, if anyone out there cares to translate another language for osu!Rank, feel free to contact me.
There were a few updates in all languages and also a few new things to translate.

Widget design
As I said when I released the panel-like Widgets, they are still considered Work-in-progress, I changed the layout a little and also included colored rank changes for all Widgets. (Excluding Icon-Widget for now)
But see for yourself:

Stuff behind the scenes
Like everytime I changed a lot "behind the scenes", most of you won't care I guess, so check the Changelog if you want to read whats been changed.

Screenshots
"Oi! What about the outdated Screenshots on the main post? Update them already!"
What, are you my mom now? Tsk, fine... I will do so later.

P.S.: Also thanks to nanashiRei for the idea to include QR code!
Oinari-sama
I was excited to see my xp bar "fixed" itself, till I flipped the page.

I previously thought that the xp bars were "bent" at "random" places, however that doesn't seem like the case now. Look at this photoshop below, the "bent" occurs only at the last 30 pixels each. If a player doesn't have enough xp the "bent" will not happen. I drew a red bar below the 1st player's "bent" and copy-pasted it to the other 3 for comparison. It's easy to see what I've just described:
I don't know if that helps you find the bug but at least it's a clue. I should've really noticed it earlier...

Apart from that, 1.1.0 looks great! I personally enjoy clicking on every avatar/panels to update them. They're a lot more responsive now.

EDIT: For the translation project, have you considered adding all translatable parts into an online spreadsheet (eg Google Doc) for collab? It may be easier to track changes as you push out new stuff to be translated and it will make it easier for people to participate.

See the osu! localisation project v2 thread, peppy included such a spread sheet in the OP and I think that is a great idea.
Topic Starter
givenameplz

Oinari-sama wrote:

I was excited to see my xp bar "fixed" itself, till I flipped the page.
[...]
I still couldn't reproduce the problem, but I am sure the XP-Bar problem you are having will be fixed within the next update.

Oinari-sama wrote:

[...]
I personally enjoy clicking on every avatar/panels to update them. They're a lot more responsive now.
[...]
I am glad you like it, I am constantly working on improving the performance, most of the times unnoticed by the user, as they are pretty much done in the background.

Oinari-sama wrote:

[...]
EDIT: For the translation project, have you considered adding all translatable parts into an online spreadsheet (eg Google Doc) for collab?
[...]
I am working on something like this at the very moment, but it won't be finished anytime soon, as my priorities are other things right now, perhaps if there were more translators to coordinate. If thats becoming the case I might consider this, as its easier than developing my own interface ofcourse. But it sure would be easier for "open" translations by the community, I see that. Oh well~

The next update will contain lots of background changes, some rather small, others with a greater impact on performance and behavior. I am afraid it might takes some time to be finished, as there are lots of things I want to address with 1.1.1. I am also considering a layout change of the application itself.

Well, just a short heads up about everything, thanks for the Feedback and Support.
Topic Starter
givenameplz
1.1.1 got an earlier release than I wanted it to, as I had to change something about the API itself.

peppy wrote:

[peppy] Diasallow calling API endpoints with extension.
Due to this, you weren't able to update, as I was calling the API with an extension, obviously. ~
The next update will again have more features than fixes. (I hope)
As said, there aren't much changes you will notice, besides the recent Events that are now shown only when using search inside the application itself.

All changes are inside the changelog, like everytime.
petterroea
I can translate to Norwegian if i get a list of all the strings to translate
Prancer
Please, please, pretty please, osu!tp support would be great ):
One thing, this works in every OS version?
Topic Starter
givenameplz

AkagamiNamikaze wrote:

Please, please, pretty please, osu!tp support would be great ):
One thing, this works in every OS version?
Everything above 2.2.x should be fine. (There might be small differences, thought)

About osu!tp well, I'll take a look at it and might add an option (Widget wide or Application wide) for that, as it seems that there are some people interested in that, but no promises. Hehe.
XEPCOH
I can translate to Russian/Ukrainian if you need.
Ruidoso
I envy people who can make stuff like this so much D: good job!
KJF
this is very great !
:D

it works

i rate

102841908390481093481084102398410284 stars
Aurele
omg, this looks cool >_>
[Kanzaki Ranko]
For now I haven't tested the app because I don't have an Android phone anymore.
But I could help with Brazilian Portuguese translation; with the language files and screenshots of where the text is (to ensure a good translation, I need to know the context each string is in)
Topic Starter
givenameplz
Hello there,

thanks for all of your comments and of course the positive reactions~
1.1.2 will be released within the next days, it will consist of a few more languages, lots of performance improvements and some other cool stuff like a update notification inside the status bar, there is also a downloader included, the update is downloading and installing itself with only one click of a button. Of course you won't see it until the update after that, haha.
The next "bigger" content update will be 1.1.3, it will include osu!tp support, it shouldn't take too long after the release of 1.1.2.
I need to adjust a few things to implement it correctly, if nothing goes wrong, that is.

Thats all, just a few news.
Cassu2
Ohh, nice app. I can help you with the Finnish translations, mate. ;)
Topic Starter
givenameplz
Hello again,

with that I want to annouce that 1.1.2 got released. I'll just list everything noticeable, nobody cares for long posts:

New languages!
Norwegian (petterroea)
Simplified Chinese (Oinari-sama)
Traditional Chinese (Oinari-sama)
Japanese (givenameplz)

Thanks for your support and your help translating osu!Rank, I really appreciate it.
Contact menu entry!
Within the menu is now a "Contact" field, where you can see the names of everyone supporting osu!Rank and of course my contact info.
There is also a link to this forum post.
This section is not quite finished, there will be lots of changes to it.
Reworked AutoUpdate!
The system behind the AutoUpdate for completly reworked, I hope everything works out fine, I spend a few days testing it without trouble, please tell me if anything is odd.
If there is an update, you will now also be noticed inside the notification bar, so you don't need to frequently open the app itself.
To keep it short, thats everything noticeable, as always, everything is inside the Changelog, see first post.
For the future, as already said, I plan to implement osu!tp within update 1.1.3, I couldn't fit it inside this update yet, as I still need to adjust a few things.
Anyways, thanks for using and supporting osu!Rank.

So far~
iys
Needs to be more #HOLOYOLO :3

Anyways, I can translate to Polish.
Impressive...
If only my phone was android…
Eni
It works great on my HTC One! :)
Maerlyns
Amazing work! Thank you very much! (:
Rikuciak
Amazing ^^ Really helpful and fun to play around. Well done on creating this and keep up the great work ;)
Bara-
Cool.
I can translate to Dutch, but I have to get a list with all text that needs to be translated
Topic Starter
givenameplz
Hello, its me again.

I am almost done with everything for the next release, I just got a few problems I want to address first, for that I could use a few peoples help.
So if there are any people out there that want to:
Edit3: Old Requests, already done!
  1. Edit3: *This part is done!* Help test the new osu!tp feature.
  2. or
  3. Edit1: *This part is done!* Help test some important features. (Any Android Version should do, but I'd love to have someone using 4.0.3/4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich [SDK 15])
Just PM me and I'll tell you how you can help.
Thanks in advance guys.

Edit1: Edit3: *This part is done!* I just noticed some strange behaivor on the lastest Version 1.1.2 for users with the version 2.0.3 Gingerbread [SDK 10].
If you are using this version, please consult me if possible. I have a few questions.

Edit3: Everything done! I'll box this, because its not important anymore~

Edit2: Due to a mistake I made with Version 1.1.2 some users may get a ForceClose on osu!Rank when the new update is released.
But don't worry, you will be able to update just fine, only the Notification outside of osu!Rank won't work. So if you get a ForceClose without running osu!Rank, that means there is an update... yea, this is ofc fixed within the next version. There won't be any damage due to this, so don't worry. (This applies most likely for 3.2 Honeycomb [SDK 13] and 4.0.3/4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich [SDK 15])
Roxas
I can translate this in italian, if you want
Topic Starter
givenameplz

Content update: osu!tp support!

So, lets see, I just finished up the last things for 1.1.3. I am sorry it took longer than expected, but I wanted to test the features throughly.
As mentioned earlier some of you might encounterd a ForceClose on osu!Rank when the new update rolled out, this is a mistake I made with the notification.
If you are wondering, you are able to update just fine, its only the notification I included with 1.1.2. (Only for a few certain Android versions)
I will just start by listing the bigger and interesting things:

New languages!
Portuguese (PT) (Credit to Maav)
Polish (PL) (Credit to Maxorq)
Finnish (FI) (Credit to Cassu2)
Thai (TH) (Credit to NeVe12p4wNeD)

As always, good job guys! There will be even more languages included inside the next release.
Some are somewhat ready to be included, but I have some issues with a few strings, so I need to fix them up a little.
Sorry about that, but in the next update for sure.

osu!tp support!
As some folks were interested in this, I gave it a try and experimented with it.
If you have no idea what osu!tp is, just check the site and look around a little: osutp.net
Special thanks to Pancake at this point, who provided me with data and information.
There is also a special background included for the Icon-Widget.

The way osu!tp is included is not considered final, there are still some things I need to work on.
As I had a few issues with the implementation and the amount of data thats somewhat important, I had to make a few cutbacks.
You will notice that I used icons instead of strings for osu!tp, I will explain their meaning:

-> Accuracy rating.
-> Speed rating.
-> Aim rating.

For further information about osu!tp, check the site, there is a nice documentation about it there.

A dice?
Oh well, sorry about that, in my search for icons this somewhat got out of hand and I included some kind of random function.
With that you can check out other user profiles at random, if you wish to do so.

Gingerbread users rejoice!
Sorry I only noticed now. If you used 2.2.3 Gingerbread [SDK 10] up until now you had a bad time using osu!Rank.
I completly reworked the interface for users of that version, please give me a try and forgive me~

The future...
The next update might take a while, I want to rework the interface again, making it look better and easier to handle.
I will also include more information and better versioning for all of the different Android versions.
Other than that some more work on the osu!tp part and much more...
If you have some special things that you want to have included, now is the time to ask.

tl;dr:
Update with new fancy stuff.
iys
I messed around a bit, and got this design, do you think it's at least a bit better?
Topic Starter
givenameplz
Greetings!

I just wanted to drop a post here, saying that I am back and will continue development again, starting today.

You might noticed that the Images & Download links are down, this will be fixed soon, my server hosting it crashed, its a mess!
Bot no worries, as said, they'll be back.

Also thanks again to all translators helping out translating osu!Rank.

And also big thanks to Maxorq for your great layout inspiration, I will adapt to this within this or the next update.
I'll also think about an option for the user to select the layout of his choice, with one or two maybe three different layouts, but we'll see.

Anyways, for those who might care, I update the main post rather frequently about what I work at right now inside the "Update-o-meter" section. (Name is not final yet)
GOGOsu
Bug report
First sorry for my poor english.
Some pure-numerical ids cannot be searched correctly and the widget shows "No such user."
E.g.My classmate 306067466
if my post is duplicate, delete it.
Topic Starter
givenameplz

GOGOsu500604 wrote:

Bug report
First sorry for my poor english.
Some pure-numerical ids cannot be searched correctly and the widget shows "No such user."
E.g.My classmate 306067466
if my post is duplicate, delete it.
Greetings!
Thanks for your report!
This is a problem within the API of osu!, its already been reported there, it should work if you use his ID instead until then:

After you searched for his ID once, osu!Rank will remember his name and connect it with the ID.
I will think of a workaround if this API based bug stays like this.
Topic Starter
givenameplz
Greetings!

I tested it for a while and finally found some time to release it now, osu!Rank version 1.1.4.
I'll just start with listing important things as always, the rest is inside the changelog!
MainActivity rework!
I reworked the user interface of the application a little bit, but its far from finished. I will most likely go on another approach by making multiple application layouts selectable for the user, feel free to voice your thoughts.
But I am not sure if this will be done within the next update.
I will also consider Maxorqs layout suggestion there.
Auto scrolling
I just did this by accident really, but I liked it and kept it.
Basicly, its scrolling through the events (and also translators on the ContactActivity) if they are exceeding the length of the screen.
If you don't like it, there is an option to turn it of inside the "Settings".
Country flags & ranks
When searching you are now able to see the country flag of the user, you can turn this off inside the "Settings".
I also included a workaround for the country rank, until its implemented inside the API.
Small Widget changes
The mode now has the same color as the Rank and should now be correctly behind the other data, rather than infront of it.
Also "Acc." is now behind the accuracy, rather than infront.
Application useability changes
Some things inside the application work a little different now, for example:
If you select a Widget with the drop down, it will no longer overwrite the "User name" field.
To do that, just long press the drop down menu itself and it will "select" it for query.

One other thing:
For those enjoying the random function too much, you can now "lock" the "Set Widget" and "Search" button by long pressing the random button.
Make them usable by long pressing it again.
Just a small thing, but it should help those people that got annoyed by missclicking while pressing random several times.
API fix for numerical names
You should be able to perform searches for users with numerical names only now, thanks to peppys fix.
But you can't search for IDs anymore, but I'll put it back eventually, also if there is a high demand for it.
Languages
I included the Italian translation by Roxas in this version, big thanks to him for that.
Almost all translations are up to date right now, great job everyone.
I marked the ones missing with an "*" inside the language menu.
Those might still contain English strings.
So far thats everything important, enjoy.
I will update the main post images eventually.

P.S.:
Translation interface
This is going quite well, I handed this work to a friend of mine, skyleo, he is basicly now working on this.
Thanks for your help, keep it up~
XPJ38

givenameplz wrote:

You should be able to perform searches for users with numerical names only now, thanks to peppys fix.
But you can't search for IDs anymore, but I'll put it back eventually, also if there is a high demand for it.
Yes you can: send type=id instead of type=string.

edit: oh btw, your screenshots in your opening post are dead.
Topic Starter
givenameplz

XPJ38 wrote:

givenameplz wrote:

Yes you can: send type=id instead of type=string.

edit: oh btw, your screenshots in your opening post are dead.
Hello, thanks for your reply.
I know that, but I took it out on purpose for now, thats how I ment it. Sorry if it confused you.
Thats also why I said I will most likely put it in again later.

About the other thing, see my post at the very bottom:

givenameplz wrote:

[...]
[...]
XPJ38
Oh ok.

givenameplz wrote:

About the other thing, see my post at the very bottom:

givenameplz wrote:

[...]
[...]
Ah sorry, I missed it :?
Bara-
You forgot to add my translation, dutch. It is in the app, but not on the changelog ;)
I just had to post this
Topic Starter
givenameplz
And also...
...a special thanks for the Dutch translation to baraatje123, whom I totally not forgot to mention or anything.
Just thought to write this here, not that I forgot it or so, of course such things don't happen to me, you know? I mean.. right? Right?!

E-eeheheheh.. yes.. sorry about that. Thanks for pointing that out, I felt that something went missing somewhere.
Fixed it!
[Kanzaki Ranko]
Just read the PM. Will update my translation in the next days. Sorry for the huge delay.

Also, I got a phone to test the app. (a Samsung GT-I8552B running Android 4.1)
ArcTic Excite
hey guys ArcTic Excite here , ive been looking down my song list and all songs are spread out and im not sure whats happend. help xD
show more