forum

osu!test now more usable

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
From now on, the osu! test build (supporter only) will now connect to the main bancho server, and allow for ranking and playing with normal users. I usually wouldn't announce something like this, but I want as many people to see this as possible. I am hoping that any supporters interested in testing bleeding edge features will permanently switch to osu!test and help iron out bugs before they hit the public release.

Keep the following in mind:
  1. If I am working on anything which may affect score submissions, test build may temporarily have score submission disabled, or fall back to a secondary server.
  2. Nothing is guaranteed to work. By using osu!test, you withdraw your right to complain.
  3. You may now report test build issues in the standard tech support forum. Please add a [test] tag to the end of the topic once you are sure it only occurs in the test build.
  4. osu!test maintains its own configuration, score and beatmap databases. This is to ensure it doesn't corrupt your main ones. The first time you run osu!test it will copy your main files, but they won't stay in sync. You are free to copy them manually if you wish to, but no guarantees here.
  5. When updates become available for osu!test, they will be forced. This usually won't interrupt gameplay, but no guarantees.
To start using the test build:
  1. Make sure you are a supporter :).
  2. Open the osu! updater and go to the extras tab.
  3. Click the checkbox "osu! test build" to download it.
  4. Create a shortcut to osu!test.exe, which should be in your osu! folder.
  5. Run this instead of your standard osu!.
You may switch between public and test whenever you want. I hope to make switching between them available in the game client itself, so this process will be easier in the future. Let me know if you have any other suggestions/requests for the test build.
Tsukimi Luna
yay....... :D
Marcin
Does that mean we should report bugs from test build?
K, i'm blind.
Topic Starter
peppy
I've explained bug reporting in my post. Please read again.
Andrea
Sounds interesting, will try that from now on!
BrokenArrow
Damn, I used to use the test build in order to play/map without getting disturbed by other people. Now I'll need to log out if I want to do it. ;_;
Andrea
You can always ignore the chats and stuff if that bothers you.
Nuix
Good.keep build the future
BrokenArrow

Andrea wrote:

That's pretty hard when you are a famous person like me, y'know
puncia
Great, I'll switch to the test build for sure!

Edit: I find the little strip in the bottom (that one yellow and black that indicates it's the test build) a bit disturbing during gameplay :(. Can't it be disabled while playing? It also overlaps with the fps counter and the new accuracy meter.
TouchFluffyTail
Gotta get in on that osu!nightly.
Lally
nice o3o
thelewa

BrokenArrow wrote:

Andrea wrote:

hahahaha
Cyclohexane
Excellent. The absence of Bancho integration in the test build was pretty much the only thing that was preventing me from using the test build by default. Looking forward to helping with this :p
Tear
Still not really usable for me, the chat and online users are still testbuild-only D:
Fixed now, yay :3
Krunschy
What exactly does the new test build change? I can't find any differences so far besides the "b20130807.5test" on the bottom and that the osu! window frame doesn't fit the color of my usual window color. =P
1000Combo
there still bug on osu mania.. lagging between game
Topic Starter
peppy
The test build is always up-to-date with the changelog. There are also some half-baked features in there (replay seeking, emoji) which aren't ready for public yet.

At the moment the test build is 99% in sync with public, but this isn't the case when there hasn't been a public release for 1 week or more. You will be able to view and play with new features as they are added, and watch the game develop on a daily basis.

There are usually 0~5 test build patches a day, for reference.
Dodecagon
this is pretty neat ! I'll give it a try
Aurele
Going to help out here :p
-kevincela-
Really good news! I guess that from now on I'll definitely switch to the test build. :D
jackisgone
what do if i dont have osu! test build in extras tab? nvm im a derp, already had it somehow
Wishy

BrokenArrow wrote:

Andrea wrote:

It's actually the exact same thing.
Ishmon
Whoooooooo \o/
Marcooo_old
You should definitely make something either in the client or on the site that's like a report form, so people don't have to create a thread on a public forum for everyone to see. Since, you know, it doesn't necessarily encourage people to report bugs if they have to fill out an entire forum thread if you ask me. At least that's what it's like to me.
TakuMii
Sweet! I'll be using the test build more often then :)
Although I wish there was an option to unify the public build's collections with the test build's collections, but seeing as they're just .db files it shouldn't be difficult to move them back and forth manually :P

EDIT: Also, the watermark seems to be in the way of the hit error meter. Not really that big of a deal though.
jackisgone

Marcooo wrote:

You should definitely make something either in the client or on the site that's like a report form, so people don't have to create a thread on a public forum for everyone to see. Since, you know, it doesn't necessarily encourage people to report bugs if they have to fill out an entire forum thread if you ask me. At least that's what it's like to me.
I second this, osu! Test build should have a extra option so u can report right from inside the client or maybe a special channel were all people do is post things they found maybe?
Marcin

jackishere wrote:

Marcooo wrote:

I second this, osu! Test build should have a extra option so u can report right from inside the client or maybe a special channel were all people do is post things they found maybe?
And how do you then keep track of them, by searching through logs?.. seriously D:?
Marcooo_old

Marcin wrote:

And how do you then keep track of them, by searching through logs?.. seriously D:?
Make a simple web form that mails the reports to the technical support team or something like that

Edit: Maybe a mail account for like osureports@ppy.sh and give the osu! team access to it and delete the reports you've looked into?
Nathanael
Possibly that there is a hidden subforum for reports that peppy and the others can view and moderate it.
Flower
Every new build cause a new bug concerning OpenGL on my computer.
Time for bugcatching \:D/
TakuMii

Marcooo wrote:

There's nothing wrong with having to make a forum thread, it doesn't even have to be very lengthy. The only thing you need to put in your post really is how to reproduce the bug (and screenshots, but those aren't entirely necessary if your repro steps are easy to follow).
And the main reason for the bugs/tech support forum being public is so others can test and confirm that it's a bug.
TheVileOne
I'm curious whether I can safely map in the test build. I know that before, the test build would create test build only files. What will happen if I make changes to a beatmap and submit them from the test build?
Topic Starter
peppy

TheVileOne wrote:

I'm curious whether I can safely map in the test build. I know that before, the test build would create test build only files. What will happen if I make changes to a beatmap and submit them from the test build?
If there are changes made which would break maps, BSS will be disabled in the test build. As long as you can submit, it should be fine to do so.
ErunamoJAZZ
Having a forum to share might work, but I think a more immediate means of communication would give better results.
Something like a #testbuild channel on irc, only for testers.

(Unfortunately I am not support, so I can not test ;_; )
pielak213
­
show more