forum

Freemode DoubleTime

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +579
show more
Dexus
ignore
buny

Dexus wrote:

Why even have this. Play solo if you're too unfocused to enjoy maps at a moderate pace. This is a rhythm game and If you can't do even simple stuff that's sad. I honestly enjoy simple maps that follow well with the music instead of overly-mapped pieces of crap that have stuff everywhere just because hurr durr difficulty.
There wouldn't be that many people complaining about this if there was a chat room feature, since a lot of people play multi with friends regardless of the skill levels.
Either add in DT in free mods or add in a chat room feature and there's really nothing else to complain about. I'm sure nobody really looks at each others scores too in multi so that's negligible too.
Oinari-sama
I just want to add that sometimes in mp the lower ranked friends actually "request" higher ranked players use DT/HR. In their view it makes the game more interesting cause they know that I'll suffer (lol)

The sole purpose of this request is not just for showing off, it really helps when you play with friends.
Dexus
ignore
Oinari-sama
Wait I'm confused...

For those who're against this request, what's your main concern? So far I haven't seen anyone complaining about this request being game breaking in anyway, though I'll admit that I haven't read through every single post in this thread.

What I saw in the recent posts are just arguments about how playing DT = Showing off and I think it's a bit off tangent. The main concern in this thread was regarding how to match the time difference between normal and DT mod, can't we focus on that instead?
-____-_old

Oinari-sama wrote:

For those who're against this request, what's your main concern?
They're afraid to be beaten by a DT user in multiplayer while playing nomod, they like to cover it up by calling it "playing rhythm games incorrectly" while everyone has their own way of enjoying the game and nobody has the right to call someone else's way of enjoying a game wrong.
Shohei Ohtani

Oinari-sama wrote:

Wait I'm confused...

For those who're against this request, what's your main concern? So far I haven't seen anyone complaining about this request being game breaking in anyway, though I'll admit that I haven't read through every single post in this thread.

What I saw in the recent posts are just arguments about how playing DT = Showing off and I think it's a bit off tangent. The main concern in this thread was regarding how to match the time difference between normal and DT mod, can't we focus on that instead?
The only issue I really see is that the DT user is going to have to sit in Multi for a long time when the rest of the users finish the map. For long songs, this can turn into a bit of an issue (and I can probably sense a lot of bugs coming from this)
Dexus
ignore
-____-_old
Enough people can handle AR8 and 150BPM but find it boring because they like faster paced things. And why would you be bothered if someone else would play it as a something that's not a music game, none of your business how they enjoy their game right?

Personally I like to try out new maps in multiplayer with a bunch of friends and see how much fun they are with DT, but there's only a very limited amount of people that are willing to try 300+bpm for longer than 10 minutes. It gets really boring for some if you keep playing songs you can easily do, it's really not enjoyable at all to do stuff you can do.

I haven't seen what you consider the use of multiplayer, it's for having fun with others, right?
Dexus
ignore
jesse1412

Dexus wrote:

-____- wrote:

it's for having fun with others, right?
yeah, but if you're not doing the same stuff what's the point?

Also if you play stuff in multi and do all that how the hell do you not have any SS, S, or A ranks? Your rank is rather low and you seem to know a lot but don't have very many plays on anything. In fact your play history is pretty empty.

Hit Accuracy: 65.08%

Play Count: 55

I smell a multi-account or you just suck at this game.
A multi-account, and you're point is shit. Let's remove freemods completely.
Dexus
ignore
Oinari-sama

CDFA wrote:

The only issue I really see is that the DT user is going to have to sit in Multi for a long time when the rest of the users finish the map. For long songs, this can turn into a bit of an issue (and I can probably sense a lot of bugs coming from this)
Yes I think that is the main concern for implementing this. If someone can come up with a good solution then this request is more likely to be implemented.

Coincidentally there are similar discussions in another thread: Multiplayer "free play" which is a request for allowing individual players to choose whatever difficulty level within the same mapset. The concern there is that some lower diff maps are considerably shorter than the higher diff so the time gap needs to be addressed. That request, however, has an easy way out which is simply disable the "freedom" if the maps within the mapset are considerably different in length.

I just thought I'll bring it up here cause any potential solution proposed in this thread may work on the other.
-____-_old

Dexus wrote:

-____- wrote:

it's for having fun with others, right?
yeah, but if you're not doing the same stuff what's the point?
Have you ever played games with your(if you have any) friends at all?
Usually if you're good at something you just handicap yourself so you can play with them at around the same level and still keep a challenge for the sake of fun.

And yeah, multiaccount here, not sure what that has to do with anything, seems I have no right of speaking if I am not a "good" player?

****USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Osu!:Rules#All_purpose_rules ****
Dexus

-____- wrote:

And yeah, multiaccount here, not sure what that has to do with anything, seems I have no right of speaking if I am not a "good" player?
You're going to get banned because you're multiaccounting, it's against the rules.
jesse1412

Dexus wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

Let's remove freemods completely.

That was sarcasm. Can you stop taking the thread off-topic now. I've never seen anyone complain about freemods, I don't see why they would complain about adding DT. If someone doesn't want to wait at the end then they won't play DT, it's as simple as that.
deadbeat
what the hell is going on here. first and last warning. keep on topic
i'll be more than happy to lock this otherwise.
VoidnOwO
:)
jesse1412

BRBP wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

first and warning warning.
Shit just got real

-____- wrote:

They're afraid to be beaten by a DT user in multiplayer while playing nomod, they like to cover it up by calling it "playing rhythm games incorrectly"
Yeah exactly. Totally. And maybe because they wouldn't be playing in realtime. I want freemod doubletime to counter-strike.
I don't get the problem. Is it the concept that you're not playing in real time? To the people without the mod you still appear to be playing in real time. That problem is completely void and not an argument at all. If you're complaining about your sentimental values of not actually playing in real time then you should probably not play multiplayer at all because get this, you're NEVER playing in 100% realtime with someone.
Xivaxi
Can someone who feels this way explain why playing in real time is such a big deal? I don't really understand. The only indication that we're all playing in somewhat-realtime is the scoreboard anyway, so if it's implemented with the delayed scores from the DT players like everyone is suggesting, then that complaint seems to just go out the window.
buny

Oinari-sama wrote:

CDFA wrote:

Yes I think that is the main concern for implementing this. If someone can come up with a good solution then this request is more likely to be implemented.

Coincidentally there are similar discussions in another thread: Multiplayer "free play" which is a request for allowing individual players to choose whatever difficulty level within the same mapset. The concern there is that some lower diff maps are considerably shorter than the higher diff so the time gap needs to be addressed. That request, however, has an easy way out which is simply disable the "freedom" if the maps within the mapset are considerably different in length.

I just thought I'll bring it up here cause any potential solution proposed in this thread may work on the other.
It's not such a big deal as to wait for other players to finish, since it's up to the player to decide whether or not they want to play with the mod and it's already been mentioned that the players using dt could wait for the players that aren't to finish.

Xivaxi wrote:

Can someone who feels this way explain why playing in real time is such a big deal? I don't really understand. The only indication that we're all playing in somewhat-realtime is the scoreboard anyway, so if it's implemented with the delayed scores from the DT players like everyone is suggesting, then that complaint seems to just go out the window.
Because it compares your score realtime to other players, rather than just records of scores.
It's really just nitpicking reasons though, really.
Koko Ban

CDFA wrote:

someone can be a ruseman and put HT on marathon plays just to piss off other players... unless if were only talking about DT getting the "free mod" treatment.

edit: i haven't read through the whole thread sooo ;____;
Anzo
The waiting players can go browse or chat for a while, or spectate other players inside the room.
Let them inform if everyone is finished, like having their osu! icon flash in the taskbar (if osu! is not focused), or a notification.
Legxis

BRBP wrote:

Can't you people find another way to show off rather than joining multi rooms with DT?

Too bad there's no anti-votes, this thread would get every single one I have.
Actually it's the opposite. I always see people demanding for DT, and many Hosts feel threathened and comply. Some people (like me) just don't like DT. I like to listen to a nice song, not some fast rabble. The song is the reason why I joined the room (or stayed there) after all. So it's really sad when that happens.

Also, what about very good people that are playing with friends that are new to the game. What if they would like to improve their scores as they play and do so with all possible mods? It's not about bragging, it's somthing that should be there. Also, if people brag about using DT, then they are either really good, meaning they would have crushed you anyway or actually bad, meaning they will embarass themselves.
Oinari-sama
Oh I've completely forgotten about this thread lol

To bring the focus back to "waiting for other players to finish," what about this instead: make DT players wait for their start while others are playing.

Consider this from a race perspective. DT players wait at the starting line to give non-DT players a head start. DT players can watch the score board rise while waiting so they don't feel as bored, and it'll induce a need to catch up when it's finally it's their time to start. This can give the players a "runner vs chaser" sense and bring new dynamics to multiplayer games.

The DT players should get their countdown loud and clear, while the non-DT players should hear a new "warning" sound notifying that the DT players has started. Visual Settings can only be adjusted at the very beginning (common to all players) to ensure that the countdown is uninterrupted.

Imo this will be more exciting than waiting for players to finish.
jesse1412

Oinari-sama wrote:

Oh I've completely forgotten about this thread lol

To bring the focus back to "waiting for other players to finish," what about this instead: make DT players wait for their start while others are playing.

Consider this from a race perspective. DT players wait at the starting line to give non-DT players a head start. DT players can watch the score board rise while waiting so they don't feel as bored, and it'll induce a need to catch up when it's finally it's their time to start. This can give the players a "runner vs chaser" sense and bring new dynamics to multiplayer games.

The DT players should get their countdown loud and clear, while the non-DT players should hear a new "warning" sound notifying that the DT players has started. Visual Settings can only be adjusted at the very beginning (common to all players) to ensure that the countdown is uninterrupted.

Imo this will be more exciting than waiting for players to finish.
Again it would be better to make them start at the same time and feed the DT scores to the nomod players at normal speed so that none DT players can see the scores as if competing in real time, then only the DT players are hindered at all.
Oinari-sama

jesus1412 wrote:

Again it would be better to make them start at the same time and feed the DT scores to the nomod players at normal speed so that none DT players can see the scores as if competing in real time, then only the DT players are hindered at all.
Well that certainly sounds easier to implement.
MarioBound

Keyone94 wrote:

even if the song is long, the players still choose for themself to wait at the end,
its not like anyone forces them
Saint_old
please
jesse1412

Saint wrote:

please
Therealsage
I don't think that this is a good feature to get implemented into multiplayer :/
jesse1412

Therealsage wrote:

I don't think that this is a good feature to get implemented into multiplayer :/
That is a very valid point. Thank you for expanding upon your reasoning so that we can reach a compromise.
Therealsage

jesus1412 wrote:

Therealsage wrote:

That is a very valid point. Thank you for expanding upon your reasoning so that we can reach a compromise.
Haha indeed a very valid argument!

__

Im not really that good at formulating myself In English so i spared your eyes for my horrible excuse of an argument.

I just think that it would ruin the flow of the match if some people were to get faster through the song, but i think if that somehow their points were not shown while playing on the other normal players it would somehow not matter much to me at all.

The idea in itself and the ability to use DT as a freemode is just too vague. But if people were to find a way to do it without affecting other players, then I think that there should be nothing wrong with people playing the way they want to :D

#Edit : I have yet to read through the whole threat but i will when my schedule clears a bit.
jesse1412
The idea would be that none double time players and double time players would start the map at the same time. As they play the none-DT players would have the scores of the DT players fed to them as if it was nomod with a + 0.12 modifier (essentially they would see the DT players performance at the same stage as themselves throughout the entire map). At the end of the map the DT players would have to wait for other players to finish the map at which point the results screen would appear.

This would NOT change the appearance of multiplayer AT ALL for none-DT players and it would NOT change the pace that scores are delivered to them. The argument that halftime should be allowed has been brought up too but that would mean that all nomod players would have to wait for HT players to finish which I don't think is fair.

And of course if peppy was feeling particularly generous some sort of activity could be added for player who use DT (such as spectating other players while waiting or being able to view the scores of all players live) but really the DT players should expect to wait and don't deserve this compensation.
Therealsage
That would solve my issue with the idea, I just don't like changes that would affect other players experience while playing with those who would chose to use DT as a Free Mod.

I don't think that giving them the change to spectate is worth it, maybe just getting locked at the score screen while Osu streams the scores of the other players while a timer counts down to the end of the map is a better solution, but i don't know what would be the better to implement...
jesse1412

Therealsage wrote:

That would solve my issue with the idea, I just don't like changes that would affect other players experience while playing with those who would chose to use DT as a Free Mod.

I don't think that giving them the change to spectate is worth it, maybe just getting locked at the score screen while Osu streams the scores of the other players while a timer counts down to the end of the map is a better solution, but i don't know what would be the better to implement...
I like the idea of a timer along with a display of the other players scores vs your score at the their time of play (seeing what the scoreboard looks like to the people still playing). Could make it a little exciting too.
FlyingNeko
Would be great if this was implemented and while waiting you can spectate the other players.
Valastor

jesus1412 wrote:

This shouldn't harm anyone, support.
Akali
In my opinion DT isn't even a mod, it creates a new map from a new song (in a way). You might as well play different map in multi at the same time. On the other hand it could make some people's time more enjoyable when someone decides to pick something really slow, but I'm not sure if it's worth implementing.
jesse1412
Just re-read the entire thread. Arguments for adding this were:

Fun for players on a higher level than their friends.
People who chose double time can chat during the final waiting time.
Players who don't choose DT don't have their experience changed in any way.
Allows most lobbies to cater to specific players without specific map choices, just like other freemods.

Arguments against:

Not actually physically playing in real time with the DT players.
People can show off with DT.
People who pick DT will have to wait at the end of the map for other players.
People who pick DT might leave before the map is over (just like any mod choices I don't even understand this point).

I'll just state my opinion again, there is no disadvantage to ANYONE by adding it. If people argue that it shouldn't added for any reason I can conceive they're literally saying "I don't want you to have fun".

Just gonna quote this for people who are too lazy to read the thread:

jesus1412 wrote:

The idea would be that none double time players and double time players would start the map at the same time. As they play the none-DT players would have the scores of the DT players fed to them as if it was nomod with a + 0.12 modifier (essentially they would see the DT players performances at the same stage as themselves throughout the entire map). At the end of the map the DT players would have to wait for other players to finish the map at which point the results screen would appear.

This would NOT change the appearance of multiplayer AT ALL for none-DT players and it would NOT change the pace that scores are delivered to them. The argument that halftime should be allowed has been brought up too but that would mean that all nomod players would have to wait for HT players to finish which I don't think is fair.

And of course if peppy was feeling particularly generous some sort of activity could be added for player who use DT (such as spectating other players while waiting or being able to view the scores of all players live) but really the DT players should expect to wait and don't deserve this compensation.
show more