forum

New to OSU

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
takaogunz
I'm wondering why people use two keys (Z/X), (RClick/LClick), (S/D) as opposed to just one.

Do you alternate between the two as you play, or do you only rapidly click both for streams?

Would it be a good habit to learn how to play with both? Right now I'm up to 4 star, but I can't complete 4 1/2 or higher at all.
Full Tablet
Some people alternate everything, other people alternate only for fast streams.

Try both for a period of time to see what suits you.

Pressing both keys at the same time is a bad habit, though.
Topic Starter
takaogunz
It seems rather ridiculous when I watch the top players click. It's like if they tapped any faster, their keyboards would catch on fire.

I guess I'll practice alternating so I'll be better at it once I get to streams.

So far I've
Disabled mouse acceleration
Changed mouse speed to maximum(I'm using a crappy mouse, so it's still pretty slow)
Removed backgrounds on the harder maps

Anything else I should do to improve gameplay? Besides practice of course; already doing that.
Full Tablet
You don't need to remove backgrounds. In the future maps may need to have a background in order to be played with rankings (so you would need to redownload those maps).
Topic Starter
takaogunz
Ic, thanks.
Hello Skitty

Full Tablet wrote:

You don't need to remove backgrounds. In the future maps may need to have a background in order to be played with rankings (so you would need to redownload those maps).
Wtf?
Koko Ban

Full Tablet wrote:

Pressing both keys at the same time is a bad habit, though.
i sometimes do this on drain sections because it feels more accurate.

Full Tablet wrote:

wait. i never heard of this.
Full Tablet

Koko Ban wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

wait. i never heard of this.
p/1144750 (first topic I found that mentions it, there are a few more).
Dexus
OSZ2 when? ;_;
puncia

takaogunz wrote:

Right now I'm up to 4 star, but I can't complete 4 1/2 or higher at all.
You shouldn't really refer star rating as a map difficulty system.
quaternary
* Pressing only one key is called singletapping, and is usually considered impressive on faster songs (youtube search for "mendes singletap").
* Pressing both keys at the same time is roughly as fast as singletapping, but 2 notes can be hit at the same time. You get a crap accuracy though.
* Alternating is most popular and is about twice as fast as singletapping.
Dexus
never mind I know nothing apparently
Kaeru
I alternate everything. This is the easiest to learn.

It's true that you can be more accurate with single tapping, but considering the amount of work that's required I would only recommend it for die hard players that want to achieve higher accuracy on very difficult insane songs.

If you can't at least clear insane songs around 300 BPM or so with alternating, then I personally would not recommend practicing single tapping.
cloudofrain

Dexus wrote:

I can vouch for that because I started as alternating and played 3 years like that. This past year I've switched to single tapping and made greater improvements than with alternating.

I would say learn alternating and then transition to single tapping, it seems to work well that way since you'll be able to relax on hitting notes and focus on your aiming. Once your aiming is spot on then learn to single tap and you'll improve more.

(never heard of people just 2key half and whole notes, that sounds silly)
Did it take you a long time to switch, because I alternate but when I look at the top Ranks I always see single tappers and that makes me sad, do I really need to learn Single tapping at some point ?
koromo

cloudofrain wrote:

do I really need to learn Single tapping at some point ?
No, you don't.

The reason you always see single tappers is because there are way more single tappers than alternators. Pro players who alternate exist, there's plenty of them, and some are crazy good, but compared to the amount of people who single tap then yeah, of course the latter would be a majority.

As for "downsides" of alternating such as more difficult map reading and whatnot, those are completely player dependent things imo. If you play best when you alternate, then keep doing it, but if you think you could do better single tapping then you can always switch, nothing is stopping you from experiencing both and deciding for yourself.
Chung
i've played alternate for a long time and don't really think that it makes accuracy any more difficult. Getting 99+% is just working towards it. Choose whatever you feel most comfortable with