forum

Your opinions on "Nearby countries/regional ranking"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
boat
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/124920&start=0

peppy wrote:

I agree to grouping countries which have so few players the country rankings don't hit top 50s. This helps reduce the load of these lookups, actually. A lot. Plus it makes sense and makes it more competitive

Maybe someone could make a list of which countries should be grouped into regions where necessary, and I can change country ranking to regional ranking.
To put it shortly, I would like all of your opinions on what minor countries should be grouped together for this, as a lot of people seem to have mixed views and opinions. Do keep in mind that this will most probably replace your separate country ranking with the regional one. If you wouldn't like that, then do tell why, but provide good reasoning for it. Biased and baseless opinions against are of no value.

The countries must correlate in some way, through language or history.

This is for lesser countries only in order to increase competition within smaller scenes. I can't set an active users limit as this varies on a case to case basis, but those with well below 20k users qualify. I do not know Peppy-kuns opinion on grouping smaller ones with the major, in an example; grouping Russian speaking countries to Russia, but if no other countries correlates then I would like your input on this as well.

Due to confusion, to make it clear, this is to replace this current "Country Ranking" filter with a "Regional Ranking" one for the countries that do get merged.

This will not affect those without a supporter tag nor any of your overall country charts. All this will do is give the smaller countries an option to compare their beatmap specific scores to countries within their region.

Do your best to clearly and orderly provide arguments as to how and why.

As a final summary I will go for majorities vote, but add in the provided arguments if it's not an incredibly one sided opinion.

All and everyones inputs on this are highly appreciated. Thank you in advance for taking your time with this.

Additionally it would be great if you could direct people from your respective country to this thread, as I will need a whole lot of inputs in order to make a reasonable conclusion.

List over countries to group (I probably need more opinions on all of these so I wont mention this separately for each grouping. Don't mind it being messy, I'm working on it.)
SPOILER
Post-soviet states

• Baltic states:
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Lithuania

Central Asia:
    Kazakhstan
    Kyrgyzstan
    Tajikistan
    Turkmenistan
    Uzbekistan

Eastern Europe:(Alternatively grouping Russia with these as well)
    Belarus
    Moldova
    Ukraine

Southern Caucasus:
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    Georgia
  • Scandinavia/Nordic Region:
    Sweden
    Norway
    Denmark
    Iceland
    Finland
    Greenland
    Åland Islands

Benelux:
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Luxemburg

Switzerland + Austria + Liechtenstein/Alternatively merging these with Germany

• Oceania:
    New Zealand
    Australia
    Rest of Oceania

Middle East group A (temporary name)
  • Bahrain
    Cyprus
    Egypt
    Iran
    Iraq
    Israel
    Jordan
    Kuwait
    Lebanon
    Oman
    State of Palestine
    Qatar
    Saudi Arabia
    Syria
    United Arab Emirates
    Yemen
Middle East group B (temporary name as well)
  • Afghanistan
    Turkey
    Algeria
    Armenia/Alternatively in the central Southern Caucasus region
    Azerbaijan/Alternatively in the central Southern Caucasus region
    Comoros
    Djibouti
    Georgia/Alternatively in the central Southern Caucasus region
    Kazakhstan/Alternatively in the central Asia region
    Kyrgyzstan/Alternatively in the central Asia region
    Libya
    Mauritania
    Morocco
    Pakistan
    Somalia
    Sudan
    Tajikistan/Alternatively in the central Asia region
    Tunisia
    Turkmenistan/Alternatively in the central Asia region
    Uzbekistan/Alternatively in the central Asia region
    Western Sahara Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
If any of these do not have any registered users then send me a message about it. It's a buttload to keep track of so I might have missed a thing or two.
Shohei Ohtani
Like I'm all for it, but wouldn't this be more fitting in the feature request rather than a separate GD discussion.

Anyways, this could possibly work

Most of Africa in one region. Egypt and South Africa seem to have a decently sized playerbase (and I'm not 100% sure if Egypt is considered an African country is or grouped with the middle east), but there's a lot of other countries that have very few players (Just off the top of my head, Kenya has like 11, Ghana has like 3). It might work best as a "Grouped together until a certain number is reached".

Maybe the Middle East can be grouped (Unless they have a high population of players. ie. Turkey, Egypt, Israel) as well?

Also, territories could also probably be grouped with the country that owns them (ie. Virgin Islands (U.S), French Guiana, possibly Guam, etc) if they're not large enough.

I could provide a huge detailed list of what should be grouped up where, but that'll take some time, and it's mostly because I'm a silly American who doesn't know a lot about smaller European/Asian countries :P.
deadbeat
If New Zealand is minor enough, I'd have no objections being grouped with Australia. The two country have a long history with each other anyway
also i wonder if it would be worth giving this a sticky

CDFA wrote:

Like I'm all for it, but wouldn't this be more fitting in the feature request rather than a separate GD discussion.
There is a reature request thread for this already, but to get more feedback on this, having it in General Discussion would be more ideal
Topic Starter
boat
I put this in GD in order to get more peoples opinions on it. The few who actually browse the feature request forums can't be the only ones to judge a matter like this.

CDFA wrote:

I could provide a huge detailed list of what should be grouped up where, but that'll take some time, and it's mostly because I'm a silly American who doesn't know a lot about smaller European/Asian countries :P.
The more input the better, but do try to keep to what you know best. I would prefer for people from the actual respective country sticking to their own regions, as chances are you know more about your own and nearby countries.
Jarby

boat wrote:

New Zealand + Australia
May as well just be Oceania.
Mianki
wth is Finnland

And add Iceland to Scandinavia region?
Topic Starter
boat

Jarby wrote:

boat wrote:

New Zealand + Australia
May as well just be Oceania.
This is a pretty good suggestion actually. I personally have no idea of what Oceania actually is, but from what the wiki page shows a lot of very minor countries could as well be grouped as one under an "Oceania Ranking" region. Thank you for this.

I'd like some more inputs on this as well though, so if anyone from the Oceania region has more inputs; as well as approval of this then shoot.
silmarilen
i think belgium, luxemburg and netherlands can fit as one group, since its often called benelux and it used to be one country aswell.
Shohei Ohtani
What am I doing with my life

All countries listed have less than 100 registered players. It'd be pointless to group together largely active groups that are close together (ie. United States and Guam)

Asia could probably be split up to different regions (ie. "Russian Region", "Indonesian Region", "Indian Region", "Chinese/Korean Region"), but this is mostly making general large groups.

I tried making it so countries that are not associated with each other are not grouped together (ie. If a country is near China, it is not grouped with China, as it is not owned by China).

Mya.
thelewa
I'm all for kicking some Scandinavian ass, merge pls
BrokenArrow
Might as well merge Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein into one group as they're all german-speaking countries.
Topic Starter
boat

BrokenArrow wrote:

Might as well merge Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein into one group as they're all german-speaking countries.
As Germany is fairly big I do believe it would be preferred to merge those smaller ones with eachother, but it's a good suggestion nonetheless. Any more in depth explanations as to how these countries correlate with eachother would be appreciated.
tiper
I like this stuff.
Loctav
Well, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein share the same community channel, the same subboard, also we all speak the same language. Also Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein have not many active players. And the active ones can easily compete with the ones from Germany. Even if Germany has a huge playerbase compared to other countries, I think a merge is justified due to language and community sharing.

This is pretty much comparable with the merge of french speaking countries (even if I disagree in merging NL into FR, because they don't share the community (#french vs. #dutch) that much.
tiper
If you have any thoughts about successors of USSR you can leave`em here:
t/143879
Topic Starter
boat

Loctav wrote:

SPOILER
Well, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein share the same community channel, the same subboard, also we all speak the same language. Also Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein have not many active players. And the active ones can easily compete with the ones from Germany. Even if Germany has a huge playerbase compared to other countries, I think a merge is justified due to language and community sharing.

This is pretty much comparable with the merge of french speaking countries (even if I disagree in merging NL into FR, because they don't share the community (#french vs. #dutch) that much.
As I do keep a list of the possible minor country groupings excluded from the major ones as well I would like to know if merging Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein without Germany would be reasonable.
bomber34
Maybe complete africa together?
Or split them a bit. A huge part speaks french and the other english I think (next to their own languages of course but that are the main one I think)

They are full of countries with really low playerbase
Hiryuu_old
I have a question related to my country. How would the merging for Estonia would go?
Topic Starter
boat

ShinseinaTenshi wrote:

I have a question related to my country. How would the merging for Estonia would go?
If there is no fit at all then it can unfortunately not be merged, but I'm open for most reasoning and suggestions so do throw anything you got at me. Even if it's a shoddy fit, if both parts agree then a merge with some country is clearly beneficial for everyone. I can unfortunately not provide any reasoning other than what I find through research, but feel free to ask users from your respective country to head this way to help us out.
Hiryuu_old
Well, as much as political wise and how things have been going, Estonia is in pretty good terms with Finland, our language is very similar as well.

Regarding Russia..we were under the soviet union many years ago but as our country got independence. Russians withdrew and went back to Russia with the majority of their people, though there is still a very large portion of russians living in Estonia after the independence and the newer generation of russians. Our secondary language, which is compulsory to learn is Russia, so maybe that has some sort of relation towards it.

Latvia & Lithuania have also been helpful to us and have been helped by Estonia, on political terms it's good but i don't know how it goes in a general matter. Though if to look at it geographically, Estonia is very close to Latvia and Lithuania as well.

I'd appreciate more opinions on this.
Luna
When I think of Estonia, I automatically think of Lithuania and Latvia.
Shohei Ohtani
But I'm not entirely sure why larger countries need to be merged together.

The main reason the issue was brought up was so small countries could have more users in them rather than just being #1 automatically.

With larger countries with already strong usergroups together, it seems kind of pointless. It'd be like combining Taiwan and Chinese rankings because they both speak chinese.

Estonia's userbase seems large enough at this point to stand as its own entity.

Also, tfw you spend hours making a chart to solve the OP's problems and nobody looks at it </3
Topic Starter
boat
ShinseinaTenshi, Estonia is a part of the Baltic States, so that's something.

CDFA wrote:

SPOILER
But I'm not entirely sure why larger countries need to be merged together.

The main reason the issue was brought up was so small countries could have more users in them rather than just being #1 automatically.

With larger countries with already strong usergroups together, it seems kind of pointless. It'd be like combining Taiwan and Chinese rankings because they both speak chinese.

Estonia's userbase seems large enough at this point to stand as its own entity.

Also, tfw you spend hours making a chart to solve the OP's problems and nobody looks at it </3
I am taking a look at it, but yes, as mentioned major countries will preferably not be merged with anything as they got a big enough userbase as it is.
Hiryuu_old

boat wrote:

ShinseinaTenshi, Estonia is a part of the Baltic States, so that's something.
Ah yes, that's true, I completely forgot about that. Completely derped out for a bit.
kriers
I'm all for making regional rankings and such, but taking away our initial country ranking lists seems kinda out of place. Why would for instance Norway benefit in any way by losing their osu!pendence? I know we're all young people and we may not share the prejudices or the ideas of national independence and such, but merging countries here and there for the sake of making things simpler is promoting a weird nationalistic sense of unification that does no good in honouring where we come from. Norway will remain Norway, and not a part of Sweden or Denmark. Having a "nordic countries" ranking in addition is all good, but I really doubt most Norwegian players care about Swedish or Danish players, and certainly not Finnish players. If they do, they can always compare and compete using the global rankings.
Irreversible
It would be nice to leave it like this, because I like the variety of the different countries

But maybe there should be a 'together- ranking (like all german-speaking parts, etc)' as well, just to .. have this as well, i hope you get what i mean lol
silmarilen

kriers wrote:

I'm all for making regional rankings and such, but taking away our initial country ranking lists seems kinda out of place. Why would for instance Norway benefit in any way by losing their osu!pendence? I know we're all young people and we may not share the prejudices or the ideas of national independence and such, but merging countries here and there for the sake of making things simpler is promoting a weird nationalistic sense of unification that does no good in honouring where we come from. Norway will remain Norway, and not a part of Sweden or Denmark. Having a "nordic countries" ranking in addition is all good, but I really doubt most Norwegian players care about Swedish or Danish players, and certainly not Finnish players. If they do, they can always compare and compete using the global rankings.
you dont need to share the rankings with other countries if there is no need to, the reason this was brought up was because some countrys are so empty even passing a map will get you a top5 country ranking, if you have plenty of people in your country who can do good on insanes there is no reason to share your country ranking with other countrys
Shohei Ohtani

kriers wrote:

and certainly not Finnish players.
damn.
Topic Starter
boat

kriers wrote:

SPOILER
This is merely beatmap specific rankings and as such I believe it's pretty justified. You will retain your country specific overall ranks.
kriers

silmarilen wrote:

you dont need to share the rankings with other countries if there is no need to, the reason this was brought up was because some countrys are so empty even passing a map will get you a top5 country ranking, if you have plenty of people in your country who can do good on insanes there is no reason to share your country ranking with other countrys
Certainly we're not a lot of people competing for top rankings, but I still think that number is fine. In most cases there can be competition between the players regardless if there are 50 players, or just 2.

A #200 Finnish player would be more interested in seeing who is the best player from his country and not care if there was a Swedish player at #1 of that ranking. We'd have to introduce flags within these regional rankings, so that players can tell apart who is from their country or not.

Obviously no offence to Finland, but for me having grown up in the western coast of Norway, Finland has always felt more distant than Great Britain. (Geographically speaking, Scotland is much closer than Finland from my hometown).
show more