forum

[added] Make CS/HP/AR/OD toggle-able in Mods

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4,126
Topic Starter
Maiz94

Blaze it

I got this idea when I play this beatmap, http://osu.ppy.sh/s/35375.

So, what I mean is, make CS/HP/AR/OD selected in numbers in mod selection, eg. :

Since the beatmap that I played is Insane diff which is ;
CS : 2/3/4/5/6/7
HP : 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10
AR : 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10
OD : 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

So, I would like to pass it by following my suit style in ;
Since AR makes me always failed on trying to pass the beatmap.
CS : 2/3/4/5/6/7
HP : 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10
AR : 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10
OD : 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10

It's just like when clicking the Special Mod in osu!mania game mode which is 4K, 5K, 6K, 7K, 8K. So, it's the same way as the Special Mod in standard mode if it's implemented.

Of course, the other players can choose other numbers besides than mine to follow their suit style to pass on a certain beatmaps.

Also, about the Score Multiplier, if more numbers are picked in CS/HP/AR/OD respectively than the original CS/HP/AR/OD, Score Multiplier > 1.00x and if less numbers are picked in CS/HP/AR/OD respectively than the original CS/HP/AR/OD, Score Multiplier < 1.00x.
Luvdic
I believe that I have read somewhere that they had plans on making the easy mod that way.

That was very long ago though, not sure if they still intent to do so.
Oinari-sama

Xanandra wrote:

I believe that I have read somewhere that they had plans on making the easy mod that way.

That was very long ago though, not sure if they still intent to do so.
t/56606
winber1
o!m can't be compared to this as 4K, 5K, 6K, 7K, 8K all change the gameplay (using different fingers and different patterns etc.), while changing osu standard settings doesn't change gameplay, but rather just making it harder or easier. All patterns and shapes and stuff are the exact same. Furthermore, sometimes increasing AR will help he player read the map better, thus you cannot firmly say that if you increase the numbers, you should get a difficulty increase multiplier. This will make the score multiplier very hard to be used accurately for all maps.

Having a toggle like this where increasing the number increase the multiplier and decreasing the number decreases the multiplier also runs into the problem where if you put HP drain and AR really high and lower the OD a ton (and maybe CS as well), and then you put on hard rock, it completely screws around with the mod because HP drain and AR are already maxed, and the OD increase is insubstantial because OD is already so low and thus if done correctly, you can get the 1.06x multiplier while making Hardrock easier.

Secondly, the mapper has decided the map is to be played like that. Mods are a different story and they are a set difficulty increase or decrease multiplier, and are made for diffculty increase or decrease, while your toggle is basically just for your personal desires.

Third, use editor, it's not hard to change map settings. If you don't like the current settings because they make it hard, change the settings in editor to practice. It's not hard to do.

This has also been requested in a similar fashion iirc somewhere else and got denied.
-Sapphire_old
winber1 : That was harsh, but true. Have seen similar requests elsewhere which got denied as winber1 said.
Jawing
You are talking about my idea (which is very similar)... t/139647
Star it!
Kaeru
Extra points for higher numbers doesn't always make sense (some maps are way easier with higher AR). Also, everyone would have to go set new highscores with everything set to 10.

I don't mind being able to reduce these settings from the mods menu, though I firmly believe that these plays should be unranked.
DJKero
Making AR Custom by user should be REALLY USEFUL... CS HP and OD don't need to be touched to don't bullshit the difficulty of the game though...
Mithos
As long as it is unranked, I'll support this.
Bauxe

Mithost wrote:

As long as it is unranked, I'll support this.
I too would love this only if it was unranked. Would make practicing a whole lot easier.
Topic Starter
Maiz94
Bump! >w<
deadbeat
t/52873 just gonna leave this here
vantheman
I first came to the forums today to request something like the OP, then I found this thread and the linked-to threads within, and learned about all the issues involved, lots of discussion has taken place already.

But I still have a relevant question:

Is there any harm in giving incremental multiplier increase for a user selected increase in OD and CS?
AR increase can make a map easier, is a thing that was said. I don't think OD increase can make a map easier in any way, and CS increase might make a deliberately clustered map easier to read, but maps aren't supposed to be deliberately hard to read, so it won't make any correctly made map easier.

I ask because the case of myself specifically, I'd love to be playing everything set to CS7 and OD9 for ranked play without playing harder maps, I like to aim and I like to time accurately, but HR sets any map harder than normal to AR10, which is unplayable at my skill level. There aren't a lot of HR scores compared to the other mods - and my guess is because once someone can do AR10 they just go to higher level maps(which usually still don't have a high CS). And when I save as new diff just to have a thing that's undeniably the same but a little harder, I can't help but wonder why my scores are landing in the realm of "Doesn't count".

My question is if this "customization" is only allowed on CS and OD and they're only allowed to be increased and no option for anything to be decreased, would that be an acceptable feature?
jesse1412

vantheman wrote:

I first came to the forums today to request something like the OP, then I found this thread and the linked-to threads within, and learned about all the issues involved, lots of discussion has taken place already.

But I still have a relevant question:

Is there any harm in giving incremental multiplier increase for a user selected increase in OD and CS?
AR increase can make a map easier, is a thing that was said. I don't think OD increase can make a map easier in any way, and CS increase might make a deliberately clustered map easier to read, but maps aren't supposed to be deliberately hard to read, so it won't make any correctly made map easier.

I ask because the case of myself specifically, I'd love to be playing everything set to CS7 and OD9 for ranked play without playing harder maps, I like to aim and I like to time accurately, but HR sets any map harder than normal to AR10, which is unplayable at my skill level. There aren't a lot of HR scores compared to the other mods - and my guess is because once someone can do AR10 they just go to higher level maps(which usually still don't have a high CS). And when I save as new diff just to have a thing that's undeniably the same but a little harder, I can't help but wonder why my scores are landing in the realm of "Doesn't count".

My question is if this "customization" is only allowed on CS and OD and they're only allowed to be increased and no option for anything to be decreased, would that be an acceptable feature?
Big issue here is that a map with say od6 being upped to od8 changes pretty much nothing for a lot of good players and they would simply be getting free points. CS again suffers from the exact same issue, on some maps it simply won't make a difference at all.
vantheman
Sorry, but I don't believe "free points" to be true at all.
It's the same thing to a better player because the better player is better. So yes they should be able to earn a little more, because they can do something a little tougher. With ease or not doesn't matter. DT is worthlessly easy to me on an easy map, a completely negligible increase in challenge, but it's still given credit for being DT.
MMzz
I support this as an unranked mod. To use for practicing different AR/OD/HP etc.
Moway
This would be nice as unranked. It would be convenient for people who want to practice certain settings. Definitely don't want this as a score multiplier though.
Wishy
This is one of those things that should have been here for ages, you can already do it by editing the map yet people can't spectate you/you got to update the map later/can't use it on multiplayer/etc.
Poligen
I feel the need to bump this, guys. I hate having to change beatmaps with the editor. I wouldn't mind if this was unranked or ranked either.
Friggles
This would be amazing as an unranked mod.
Bites

vantheman wrote:

It's the same thing to a better player because the better player is better. So yes they should be able to earn a little more, because they can do something a little tougher. With ease or not doesn't matter. DT is worthlessly easy to me on an easy map, a completely negligible increase in challenge, but it's still given credit for being DT.
This is a good point that was made, please notice this!
jesse1412

Bites wrote:

vantheman wrote:

This is a good point that was made, please notice this!
Please don't, the player gives the same performance they always would have no mod and gets more points? Absurd. If they want more points use HR.
shiori_old2
Bump and 2 stars and here is my addition:

Akai Kyoko wrote:

For example, AR9 is a very important level for all CtB players. When I need to practise AR9, I have to search AR9 maps, but the easier maps, even AR8-insanes are not enough. So I should edit them, change to AR9, flip the notes and play them.
Also, AR10s are too hard to play ><

Otherwise, 'osu!' top players like change hard maps to AR10 but keep other property, such as CS and HP. Some map were uploaded to server but can never be ranked.

I wish there can be a custom unranked mod.
it can change the map difficulties, flip notes (horizentally or vertically) freely.
Also, in MP, it can be used like DT and HT to control global difficulty.
I believe it can make the game more fun.
sheela
I guess it could work. You can edit the CS/HP/AR/OD in the edit mode, but I'm too lazy to go to edit mode.
It'll be cool if it was an unranked mod.
vape
I don't see why this would be in any way harmful as long as it's in an unranked mode, unless Tom wants to weight it somehow in ppv2.

Honestly reworking DT and HR to allow for smaller increments doesn't seem like a bad idea (think stepmania). This would be a good first step, though.
jesse1412
My opinion is still supreme. Unranked or go home and we all know how much peppy loves unranked mods.
show more