forum

:) :| :( Rating System [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
D33d
Some fairly thorough discussion in #modhelp has encouraged me to request this in a much more concise and clear manner as a standalone point. It is clear that many mappers desire a much more simple rating system, which would surely prove to be more useful for on-the-spot responses. With nothing more than "I like it," "I don't care" and "I dislike it," the rating button would be much more approachable and thus possibly encourage more people to vote.

If displayed as three large, shiny buttons upon the completion of a beatmap, it would be much easier for users to give an on-the-spot reaction, in a way which wouldn't result in a horribly inconsistent manner of voting. Moreover, it would reduce the effects of ragevotes and squeeing fangirl votes, which could in turn give a fairer representation of the community's general opinion. Of course, the votes could still be averaged to a ten-point system if that is to stay, only we'd have values which would account for the accuracy of on-the-spot voting. Failing that, the beatmap listings don't even show a decimal average, instead showing a vague chart of arbitrary figures and a like:dislike meter. We might as well have this as the scope of map ratings. Please also bear in mind that a lot of people will use 6-8 to represent "average," 1-2 as "bad" and 9-10 as "good/excellent." This sort of thing varies wildly from person to person.

As there are a lot of people who care about ratings to some extent, but detest the unreliability of individual votes, a more generalised approach would be far, far more useful for what is effectively a thought process of, "Do I like it? How much do I like it? Do I like it more than this map, could it really be much better in the context?" That would be from somebody who actually wants to give a well-considered input. The rest of the users would simply think, "I like it," I don't care" or "I hate it."
DeletedUser_1718755
I fully agree that the rating system should be easier. Furthermore I fully support the 3 rating-system!

Personally, I barely scroll down to give a map a star rating. Mostly because I can see every important result of my playtime on the end-screen. Therefore I only mind scrolling down if the beatmap is really bad or extremely good. I think every player should be able to easily show their appreciation to a map. If they don't want to => "Don't care" button as D33d suggested.

I would also like to add that this rating should be done when leaving the end-screen, not right after the playtime. Otherwise people might find it annoying that way, as they are used to directly see the results.

I hope this will be implemented so mappers can get an easier view on the thoughts of the players!
James2250
p/1007879/

GladiOol wrote:

After a beatmap has been played, we should be able to just 'Like' or 'Not Like' a beatmap. (Thumbs up/thumbs down, etc.)
Any difference from this? (Apart from 3 options vs 2 options)
Ekaru

James2250 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/1007879/

GladiOol wrote:

After a beatmap has been played, we should be able to just 'Like' or 'Not Like' a beatmap. (Thumbs up/thumbs down, etc.)
Any difference from this? (Apart from 3 options vs 2 options)
There's an even older thread I made in like 2009 offering up 3 option and 5 option... options.

This is much more intuitive though
James2250
I did see that too, t/14238&start=0

And seeing as I don't really want threads for 2/3/4/5/6/100 options I am going to have to say this is a duplicate. We can all agree rating system needs a change though.

(The other threads have much more support, so feel free to share any new ideas there).
Ekaru
Replaced whatever I had in that old thread with this idea because whatever I had wasn't what people were going with near the end. Gonna go bump it with this OP now.