forum

SpinnyProgram - Test your spinning speed!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jimj316
Hello there,

A while ago I made a program for various awesome people to test how fast you can spin your mouse round and round :)
To use it, simply start the program, and click (or hold X, Z, or SPACE) and drag in circles around the crosshair in the center of the screen. If you want to see various tasty numbers about your spinning, check the box in the lower-left hand corner.

Here is a screenshot:

"Max Speed" is your peak spinning speed this session
"Record Speed" is your fastest spinning speed of all of recorded history
"Average Speed" is your average this session
The numbers above these aren't really needed anymore.Maybe I should remove them :oops:

Download v4 from Dropbox, 435 KB
For the paranoid, VirusTotal says 98% virus free!Symantec is a lying fool

To install:
  1. Extract all files in the downloaded .zip to a directory of your choice
  2. Run SpinnyProgram.exe
  3. If it doesn't work, check that you own a computer
Any questions or comments are welcome.
Have fun, and don't get dizzy! 8-)
Kyujuroku 96
Someone move this to General Development. Please
Topic Starter
jimj316
I posted this in Gameplay & Rankings because the stream speed tester is also here :(
Kyujuroku 96
Sure you were right. Anyway I'm going to add it to my Osu! Projects Compilation Thread
Topic Starter
jimj316
Yayy, thankyou :D
GoldenWolf
It looks fun, but I wonder if it's accurate
~5 seconds of spinning
I've never went faster than 472 on a spinner in-game

chelly
Is there an option to emulate osu! ingame Pointer Sensitivity? My default cursor speed is a lot slower than in osu!, of which I set x1.4 input sensitivity.
Topic Starter
jimj316

GoldenWolf wrote:

I've never went faster than 472 on a spinner in-game
Remember that osu caps spinner speed at 477 RPM. If you spin faster than that, it will display as 477. (this is why osubot always spins at that speed) My program doesn't do that, and instead displays the number in red if you reach above 477.
Also, the numbers in the 600 RPM range are peak speed, meaning that you were maybe at that speed for 100th of a second or so. Your average speed is 475 RPM, which lines up with your report of 472 ;)

chelly wrote:

Is there an option to emulate osu! ingame Pointer Sensitivity? My default cursor speed is a lot slower than in osu!, of which I set x1.4 input sensitivity.
I'm afraid not :( I wanted to put an option for that in, but I couldn't work out osu changes the velocity of your pointer.
In theory, it shouldn't make a difference, so long as you are able to spin around the center; since the program measures angular velocity, not linear velocity, and how fast you are going round and round is not affected by how large of a circle you are drawing as you do so.
GoldenWolf

jimj316 wrote:

Remember that osu caps spinner speed at 477 RPM. If you spin faster than that, it will display as 477. (this is why osubot always spins at that speed)
Also, the numbers in the 600 RPM range are peak speed, meaning that you were maybe at that speed for 100th of a second or so. Your average speed is 475 RPM, which lines up with your report of 472 ;)
I know that lol, but I mean I never went faster than 472 ingame at peak speed, and my average is around 450-460 when I'm in a really good day.
Me doing 475 spm as average is impossible lol

Also, when I lowered the DPI of my mouse down to 250 and did really small circles, I reached 600+rpm easily, without too much effort. While when I set my dpi to 3200, thus doing really large circles, I couldn't reach 450.
Of course in-game it makes no difference when I use high or low DPI.

So yeah, I think there is something wrong :/
Topic Starter
jimj316
That is strange, I cannot reproduce that effect. With my mouse turned down to 800 DPI, and the Windows mouse speed set very low, I can get 310 RPM, and with the mouse at 1600 DPI and the mouse speed set high, I can get about 315 RPM.

A few things to check:
  1. Does the "delta time" value consistently read ~17ms as you spin? If not, your computer is slowing down, or the program thinks that it is slowing down.
  2. Does your cursor hit the edges of the screen? If so, you are basically spinning a rectangle instead of a circle, which makes you seem slower.
  3. Are you spinning around the center? If the arrow around the center changes from clockwise to anticlockwise as you spin, then you aren't.
Other than that, I can't think of any reason why you get strange results, other than my code being wrong or osu behaving strangely :<
Thatgooey

jimj316 wrote:

That is strange, I cannot reproduce that effect. With my mouse turned down to 800 DPI, and the Windows mouse speed set very low, I can get 310 RPM, and with the mouse at 1600 DPI and the mouse speed set high, I can get about 315 RPM.

A few things to check:
  1. Does the "delta time" value consistently read ~17ms as you spin? If not, your computer is slowing down, or the program thinks that it is slowing down.
  2. Does your cursor hit the edges of the screen? If so, you are basically spinning a rectangle instead of a circle, which makes you seem slower.
  3. Are you spinning around the center? If the arrow around the center changes from clockwise to anticlockwise as you spin, then you aren't.
Other than that, I can't think of any reason why you get strange results, other than my code being wrong or osu behaving strangely :<
I don't think osu records true RPM. I am pretty sure the spinner has a drag on it. Playing with Relax mod has true 1:1 ratio I believe, but a regular spinner does not.
Topic Starter
jimj316
I am aware of the spinner's inertia, and I tried to simulate that by taking a moving average of the measurement - the period of which is defined in spini.ini, and by default is set to 50 samples. It could be the case that this is too low, or that I should be changing this value based on the measurement speed.
GoldenWolf

jimj316 wrote:

A few things to check:
1. It's ~16-17ms
2. Of course not, I am doing circles at 3200 DPI
3. Yes of course
Topic Starter
jimj316
I've built a version with a few changes that might help fix the problem. Please try it and see if it helps.

This version also has a minimal spinner graphic (which rotates at half speed like real spinners do) and relocated stat numbers. You can also now press T to reset the average speed; if you still get strange results, reset and try again, or possibly try pressing it while spinning.

At any rate, I'm still getting accurate results. I tried spinning in osu on an extra-long spinner and got ~300 RPM, and then immediately tried the program again and got an average of 298 RPM :(
Full Tablet
osu! reported rpm in a certain instant is the average of the last second (approx, I'm not sure of the exact number) of spinning.
The fact that osu! cuts off the rpm at 477spm has a big effect because of that (you can spin well over 477rpm for tiny periods of time, but the rpm osu! shows will be noticeably lower than that because it reduces fast speeds and averages with lower speeds).
If you manage to get 477rpm in-game, it's probably because there was a considerable period of time where you could spin well over 477 (there wasn't a detected instant where you spun slower than that).

About relax mode, I think it works by counting the amount of half-spins instead of full spins you do (you can spin in Relax mode at about ~450rpm just by drawing over an almost straight small line, for example).
InfinityPotato
It doesn't work for me, even when I click, the angle changes, the delta angle doesn't (stays at 0) and stuff like RPM, degress/sec stay at 0 :V
I forgot the .ini file :(
Yuudachi-kun
IM SURE THE OP WILL NOTICE YOUR PROBLEM THREE YEARS LATER
jawabomber09

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

IM SURE THE OP WILL NOTICE YOUR PROBLEM THREE YEARS LATER
lol
Manishh
Necropost

Who use spinner SO gang
Lilyn

Yuudachi-kun wrote: