forum

osu! mouse simulator for Leap

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Brejlounek
Hi there!

I got my Leap devkit recently. First thing I did? Wrote a simple C# app for mouse pointer movement to play osu!. And it works suprisingly well! Here's the video:

Here is the app's source on github with binaries, so anyone else here with a leap devkit (or with leap after next month's launch) can try this (although I think everyone tried that already). I recommend palying osu in 120 fps mode, other ones lagged for unknown reason on both computers I tried that on. High performance mode is fine, just don't max the sensitivity out. You need to have calibrated screen position. You can try "intersect" mode, but I like "project" mode more (simpler is always better, heh). Oh, and it has WASD emulator too, so you can try some racing games :)

Some numbers: Latency is 4 ms for one finger, 10-14 ms for both hands on my slow usb 2.0. Balanced mode runs around 100 fps, high preformace around 200 (adds a little cursor stutter, really little). Reaction time in osu! is really good, I am bottlenecked by my keayboard osu plaing ability which sucks. :(

Sorry that I wrote here about this already, but now this has it's own topic and source code. Enjoy! :)
Flanster
Man I would get Leap just to use this.
Great work!
Xgor
That looks really neat
givenameplz
Thats actually pretty nice.
Good job on that.
peppy
Great job and nice video. Will look at integrating your code at some point :).
Topic Starter
Brejlounek
Great! Glad you like it :)

peppy: That would be amazing! Knowing that some part of osu! is my code :3
smoogipoo
This just made me order a Leap, looking forward to it xD
uzzi
Now that's really cool!
Kyujuroku 96
This opens a new world of posibilities to osu!. Added to my osu! Projects Compilation post.
Golfdinger
Assuming the input lag is really only 4ms and the accuracy is decent, I feel like it would potentially be better than a tablet for playing osu!. You're aiming directly at the hitcircles you see on the screen instead of indirectly like you would with a tablet.
Topic Starter
Brejlounek
Thank you! :)

I like higher sensitivities more - so I move my finger a little bit and the circle moves a little more. The movement is very natural, quite like with tablet. One must train very quick movements, but I think I got used to it very quickly.

The latency of leap itself is 4 ms + screen refresh latency, yes. But using my application like this, with code not implemented right inside osu, my app waits for leap position, tells windows it wants to change cursor position, windows changes cursor position, osu reads the mouse position when it wants to and draws the frame. Even like this, the latency is still ok (but turning on vsync is a killer).
TouchFluffyTail
This is pretty awesome, I'd love to see videos of more intense beatmaps. Maybe play a few silly ones with relax mod on to show it off?
ErunamoJAZZ
WOOWWW!!, ver cool. I like a screencast of this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/9488 (?)

hahaha!!!, well, I really do not think having your finger in the air as long a good idea :P
peppy
4ms is already less than most mice and tablets.
Golfdinger

Brejlounek wrote:

I like higher sensitivities more - so I move my finger a little bit and the circle moves a little more. The movement is very natural, quite like with tablet. One must train very quick movements, but I think I got used to it very quickly.

The latency of leap itself is 4 ms + screen refresh latency, yes. But using my application like this, with code not implemented right inside osu, my app waits for leap position, tells windows it wants to change cursor position, windows changes cursor position, osu reads the mouse position when it wants to and draws the frame. Even like this, the latency is still ok (but turning on vsync is a killer).
I was assuming it tracks the direction you're pointing and not just the position of your finger, so where you're pointing is actually where your cursor should appear if it's calibrated correctly. Otherwise it'd just be a glorified tablet.
Topic Starter
Brejlounek
This app can be set to two modes - intersect and project. Intersect positions cursor where I am pointing my finger and project projects finger position along normal of the computer screen. I and other people who tried to play osu with leap liked project mode more... But I think tablet is still something very different.

Yeah, I should record something with relax... I am really not good with keyboard :D

Btw, I think that 4 ms is very impressive, knowing that Leap reconstructs finger/tool/hand position from two highspeed IR cameras... I am not surprised Leap is quite hot when running for a while :D
Kyshiro
Would get a Leap just for this, great job
Azsry

Brejlounek wrote:

That's to be expected, of course. The aiming area most natural for most people would create a 3D trapezium, as most people don't exactly like moving their arm around so much.
nanashiRei
What exactly is WS and AD doing? Can't quite "center" it and am trying to adjust this as best as i can, but it's hard :D
Wylo
Sync
this is so cool

you're awesome
Glacey
Here's another video from a user on r/osugame

and also another video of him using keyboard with it.

FrzR
This is great!. Although muscle strain could get in the way because you're lifting your arm the whole time during a song, or even a Marathon. XD
Arnold0
I'm missing something...
I don't know what FedEx did with it, I should have recived mine 10 days ago, and I still don't have it.........
kfshradio
This device is amazing. I'll be sure to pick one up if I get the cash to.
Zaphirox
welp gg this one has no delay unlike mine that I emulate with mouse clicks seems to be delaying. I'll use it
[Kanzaki Ranko]

kfshradio wrote:

This device is amazing. I'll be sure to pick one up if I get the cash to.
Seconded.
except I'm not getting the cash to before I get a new computer.