forum

osu! Skins Database

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
comentarinformal
So we had a first try on the skins subforum. Wasn't the right place and died pretty quickly, but helped me pick up the most important bugs.
After some time with me changing it in the shadows, here we go again.

"Made me throw up in my keyboard, have been cleaning it up since then" ~peppy

Features:
The most basic of all - you can upload, edit and download skins!
Hide them -- just in case it needs a tweak or two. If they're impossible to repair, you can delete them...
Text/Grid mode, toggleable anytime.
Up to 5 images to show your skin + YouTube video
Comments section. Just in case you're too lazy to write it on the original forum thread.
Technical stuff: new user management system, fixed (again) the announcement system, added logging, and moderator status. Also, finally fixed skin boxes being damn small when I didn't want them to.
And more to come in the future....

http://osuskins.info
We're now back!

As always, if anything fails, feel free to bug me about it.
Kyujuroku 96
Genial buen trabajo. Esto va a ir directamente al post de recopilación de proyectos.
XPJ38
Nice. The design doesn't suit my taste, but, well, it's just my personal opinion.

Just a little suggestion: you should make these numbers in the grid list more meaningful:

Maybe by adding something like an "eye" icon and a "downloading arrow" icon next to them. Or at least add a title attribute.

You should also make the "Download it!" box fixed in the webpage, not on the screen. It could be annoying on small resolutions:
SPOILER
(the Search box is partly overriden here)
Kyujuroku 96
Creo que deberías abrir un post en el foro de skins para que la gente sepa de su existencia y lo utilice.

EDIT: Oh ya lo habías hecho. XD Como he dicho buen trabajo
Topic Starter
comentarinformal

S v p e r wrote:

Creo que deberías abrir un post en el foro de skins para que la gente sepa de su existencia y lo utilice.
Tenía uno abierto, pero la última vez que pregunté a un mod, dijeron que aquí era el sitio donde ponerlo... (Debería volver a preguntar, por asegurarme?)

EDIT: Qué ironía, ahora soy yo el que no vio algo (tu post) :P

I'm on finals, so I couldn't make a lot of changes. Welp.
+Added Not Safe For Work option for skins (avaiable at Upload and Edit). It adds a "This skin is not safe for work!" sentence on the grid's description, and a picture on the skin page warning of it. It does not count for the 5 images limit. Example
·Modified how are P. Images handled. You won't notice the change (luckily).
·Added icons on grid view, so you actually know what are those numbers (as requested by XPJ38).
MacabreLawyer
A very nice idea; I would love to see this become widely used in the future. Some suggestions/comments after using it for a few minutes:
  1. It would be helpful if you could sort the skins by views/downloads/name/date
  2. Dynamically adding the next page's skins to the bottom of the page as the user scrolls, similar to twitter feeds, would be nice
  3. The skins' fading in effect as the page loads seems to happen twice (doesn't seem like intended behavior) and gets obtrusive after browsing the site for a while
  4. The thumbnails view contains many elements with explicitly defined widths and heights, which results in some off-centered text and images, for example http://puu.sh/3fbtU.jpg. The "title" div is given a width of 270px, while its parent div contains only 230px of useable space due to 30px padding on both sides. When the browser interprets the div it obeys its parent's left padding with a higher priority, so the div is placed 20px to the right of where it should be.
  5. http://puu.sh/3fbgl.png This hurts my eyes
  6. I find the text shadows in the thumbnails view make things harder to read (http://puu.sh/3fc5V.png vs http://puu.sh/3fc5A.png)
  7. I would prefer seeing more details on the list view over its current clean layout, especially if sorting is added in the future
Topic Starter
comentarinformal

darotu wrote:

A very nice idea; I would love to see this become widely used in the future. Some suggestions/comments after using it for a few minutes:
  1. It would be helpful if you could sort the skins by views/downloads/name/date
    It's definitely on the list of things that I'd want to do. I had it before the pages broke it, and it was pretty interesting.
  2. Dynamically adding the next page's skins to the bottom of the page as the user scrolls, similar to twitter feeds, would be nice
    Yes but no. I mean, infinite scrolling looks like a good idea, but I find more cons than pros. By example, it has a bad time with old computers (and new computers, if you scroll enough); unlike pages, scrolling leaves all the content on the page, so your computer's memory is going to suffer. Also, if you scrolled until point 10434 and then forget its tab then close the browser, when you open it again and load the tab, it's going to try to go down to that position, getting all the other skins in the way. With pages, however, it only gets the 25 it needs, so it's way faster. Plus, unlike scrolling, you can share the link with the page (okay, not sure why would you want to do that, but I'm just saying).
    TL;DR I can't see it working well...
  3. The skins' fading in effect as the page loads seems to happen twice (doesn't seem like intended behavior) and gets obtrusive after browsing the site for a while
    I think it's fixed now.
  4. The thumbnails view contains many elements with explicitly defined widths and heights, which results in some off-centered text and images, for example http://puu.sh/3fbtU.jpg. The "title" div is given a width of 270px, while its parent div contains only 230px of useable space due to 30px padding on both sides. When the browser interprets the div it obeys its parent's left padding with a higher priority, so the div is placed 20px to the right of where it should be.
    Oh great, technical feedback! No really, I love it, helps me a lot. Fixed margins, now everything is correctly aligned (at least in Chrome).
  5. http://puu.sh/3fbgl.png This hurts my eyes
    Funny thing, I was going to change it before I saw your post. Great minds...
  6. I find the text shadows in the thumbnails view make things harder to read (http://puu.sh/3fc5V.png vs http://puu.sh/3fc5A.png)
    I think it makes them easier to read... Oh well, removed it. Let's see if anyone complains about its disappearance.
  7. I would prefer seeing more details on the list view over its current clean layout, especially if sorting is added in the future
    Sure thing. While we're at it, I'll make the sections smaller on hover; currently it's the double of the height.
Made grid boxes bigger; ideal size for thumbnails would be 260x150.

Also, I've noticed downloading skins on list may open a new tab instead of a window. I'll change it tomorrow to add a Modal/Lightbox. Or a floating box. Or something. I'm tired right now, it's almost 2 AM...

So, needs to be done: list sectionand list section downloading of skins.
Topic Starter
comentarinformal
====UPDATE====
  1. RE-ADDED SORTING! Blablabla, might fail, blablabla, if it happens tell me, blablabla shut up and stop reminding us dammit.
  2. Added social features: You can now Like, +1 and twit skins.
  3. Even more social features: We now have a Facebook page, Google+ page and a Twitter.
    Wait, why does a skins page need all of them?
    -For fun! Nah, as with every serious project I have, I just made them to help the page gain a bit more of attention. Worst case? Somewhere in the future this goes down and I have to delete it. Big deal.
  4. News page: You might find more handy to watch those posts in the own page than having to scroll trough this subforum for this thread.
  5. Fixed skins being incorrectly marked as updated (which means Sort by last updated will be pretty random. It will stabilize itself after some time...)
Also, asked again if a thread on the skinning section should be made to two mods; no response :?
Martinawa
¡INCREÍBLE! ¡UN ESPAÑOL HACIENDO ALGO PRODUCTIVO PARA LA COMUNIDAD DE OSU!

Ok, now seriously. You're doing a great job trying to host every skin in a theorically stable site since some hosting sites don't guarantee that kind of stability (e.g. puush, the most used uploading service here for obvious reasons). I like skinning and I love to see skins and how people likes to do their skins so, if their link is broken, this is a good mirror to preserve them.

Some things I think are needed right now:

-You should make browsing better by adding page number buttons instead of only "back" and "next". You now may have a few skins, but if you're going to host hundreds, or thousands of them, it can become annoying going backwards or forwards several times.

-The osu! skin compendium is good, but Completed Skins are better. If you're going to dedicate an entire section of your page to the Skin Compendium, then you may consider to dedicate another section to Completed Skins. Maybe they are fewer, but you're ensured that every part of the skin is skinned according the same pattern, making them something unique in skinning and REALLY worthwhile to be preserved.

-News page is, literally, an empty page. Of course, you should fix that.

It's only my opinion about the page so take it or leave it, but I'd like that you continue with this project. ¡Muchos ánimos!

EDIT: Just noticed this is a 5-month necro. Anyways, I'd be glad if you're reading this in any point of the future
Topic Starter
comentarinformal

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

¡INCREÍBLE! ¡UN ESPAÑOL HACIENDO ALGO PRODUCTIVO PARA LA COMUNIDAD DE OSU!

Ok, now seriously. You're doing a great job trying to host every skin in a theorically stable site since some hosting sites don't guarantee that kind of stability (e.g. puush, the most used uploading service here for obvious reasons). I like skinning and I love to see skins and how people likes to do their skins so, if their link is broken, this is a good mirror to preserve them.
Thanks! It was exactly my intention since day one. I also saw that people suggested a 'beatmap list' for skins, but nobody ever did one... So it was a great opportunity to challenge myself and my 'skills' for a good cause.

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

Some things I think are needed right now:

-You should make browsing better by adding page number buttons instead of only "back" and "next". You now may have a few skins, but if you're going to host hundreds, or thousands of them, it can become annoying going backwards or forwards several times.
Added!

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

-The osu! skin compendium is good, but Completed Skins are better. If you're going to dedicate an entire section of your page to the Skin Compendium, then you may consider to dedicate another section to Completed Skins. Maybe they are fewer, but you're ensured that every part of the skin is skinned according the same pattern, making them something unique in skinning and REALLY worthwhile to be preserved.
I had something related to that in mind, but I was thinking more about saving osu!'s version. I'm all open to any ideas.
Should it be a simple checkbox? Or a file-by-file check? Which one is best on the long term, if any of them?
It needs some grey matter invested into it. When I'm finished with the always-breaking uploader I'll look at what to do next.

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

-News page is, literally, an empty page. Of course, you should fix that.
Fixed... It was a dumb problem with a function.

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

It's only my opinion about the page so take it or leave it, but I'd like that you continue with this project. ¡Muchos ánimos!
I've been always updating it. Quite slowly and on places nobody will notice, but... I haven't discontinued it.

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

EDIT: Just noticed this is a 5-month necro. Anyways, I'd be glad if you're reading this in any point of the future
Oh, don't worry; it's a way to get more users (and luckily, more uploaders; I have a funny ratio users/users_with_uploads).
Martinawa

comentarinformal wrote:

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

I had something related to that in mind, but I was thinking more about saving osu!'s version. I'm all open to any ideas.
Should it be a simple checkbox? Or a file-by-file check? Which one is best on the long term, if any of them?
It needs some grey matter invested into it. When I'm finished with the always-breaking uploader I'll look at what to do next.
In fact, the osu! Skin Compendium is a thread that tries to compilate all the skins avaiable in the vast osu! skins subforum in one only site. You're already trying to do that with your page, with the exception of giving the freedom to all osu! users to post their skins there without having to wait any confirmation to be there. So having the osu! Skin Compendium as a section of a page that tries to be an skin compendium looks a kind of redundant and even silly. You of course can have all that skins in your page, but having them separated of the rest because of appearing in a list that has only a random bunch of skins is maybe a bit too much.

Completed Skins, although, have a difference respect the rest of the skins, and that is that all the skins there have all or almost all their elements skinned. Of course, they may be more skins out of there that are complete, but you're sure that the ones inside there are complete because there is a control before they are moved there. So you maybe should be more aware of them. They are not many of them so you can upload all of them and dedicate its special place, as they have in the skinning subforum. At least, find the ones that are already in the page and list them.

As an additional suggestion, you should think about a tag/category system. Maybe thematical skins are easy to find (e.g. Touhou, Vocaloid, etc.), but conceptual or pro skins are really difficult to find by their name because you can expect almost anything of them.

Keep going!
_index
Necroing this thread for sure, but:

Are you going to continue project? Just found and it looks awesome. But i suggest you to remove "preview" pictures and instead of it use a simple algorithm:

- Get skin .osk (or zip)
- Unpack it
- Generate preview images by using "page templates" like "song list, playfield, taiko, ctb"

It will use a little more system performance, but only once, while uploading, and will, probably, save some time for uploaders.
Meanwhile you can do image preview for different resolutions.
Topic Starter
comentarinformal
Whew, I still have some dust removal to do around there! This is why you don't slack off writing things.

_index wrote:

Are you going to continue project? Just found and it looks awesome. But i suggest you to remove "preview" pictures and instead of it use a simple algorithm:
I will! It's just that I've been recently busy looking for ways to give it more stability in case something happens. This is the graph from Dec.1 until today. Those spikes are scary, ain't them?
They're the disruption of services that I wanted to avoid with the page (as a result of using puush, mediafire, etc.) .
Anyways, I've had something like your idea in mind for a long time (rather than a static image, a full animation trying to resemble how it would look ingame. Crazy? Maybe, but eh, I'm the one who started making a skins db.)
Looks like, queuing said preview images (in order to avoid even more wait for the uploading process), it could work...
After I finish with other suggestions, I'll sure get on that one.

Also, rather than being user-uploaded pics OR system-generated ones, why not both? Looks like another tab at the start could do the trick, too. (And would fix a related situation I have in mind right now... Nice!)
tl;dr: On the to-do list, sounds like a good idea.
---
As for the previous poster, I'm sure s/he won't read it, but it's still worth a shot. Wanted to get it out of my chest anyways.

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

In fact, the osu! Skin Compendium is a thread that tries to compilate all the skins avaiable in the vast osu! skins subforum in one only site. You're already trying to do that with your page, with the exception of giving the freedom to all osu! users to post their skins there without having to wait any confirmation to be there. So having the osu! Skin Compendium as a section of a page that tries to be an skin compendium looks a kind of redundant and even silly. You of course can have all that skins in your page, but having them separated of the rest because of appearing in a list that has only a random bunch of skins is maybe a bit too much.
...You might be right, however we've got now the problem of popularity. That compedium drives thrice the amount of users going to the most seen skin (this month, eight thousand). Removing it would make people leave earlier...
I might replace it with Completed skins when I have it ready.

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

Completed Skins, although, have a difference respect the rest of the skins, and that is that all the skins there have all or almost all their elements skinned. Of course, they may be more skins out of there that are complete, but you're sure that the ones inside there are complete because there is a control before they are moved there. So you maybe should be more aware of them. They are not many of them so you can upload all of them and dedicate its special place, as they have in the skinning subforum. At least, find the ones that are already in the page and list them.
I don't really want to upload more skins without having previously the author's consent. I already did it once with the Compedium, and I didn't really like it (the same way I wouldn't want people to reupload my things without my permission).

What deadbeat does with his new one, however, is different, since he isn't storing it online, available for everyone, instead saving a private copy and sending it privately.
...Alright, it might not be that different. Still, I refuse to upload them.

Martinawa Hatsuhi wrote:

Tagging the current ones, though, is doable. I'll get to that too when I get the completed skins page done.
As an additional suggestion, you should think about a tag/category system. Maybe thematical skins are easy to find (e.g. Touhou, Vocaloid, etc.), but conceptual or pro skins are really difficult to find by their name because you can expect almost anything of them.
Done!

(Wow, what a wall of text.) Thanks for everybody's interest on this!
_index

comentarinformal wrote:

Anyways, I've had something like your idea in mind for a long time (rather than a static image, a full animation trying to resemble how it would look ingame. Crazy? Maybe, but eh, I'm the one who started making a skins db.)
Looks like, queuing said preview images (in order to avoid even more wait for the uploading process), it could work...
After I finish with other suggestions, I'll sure get on that one.
Nonono, probably a missunderstanding here. You SHOULD use "cache images", even if they are created by system, cuz otherwise it will be a huge lag spike for users when they want to check skins preview.
And i actually like "both system-created and user-defined previews" idea.

comentarinformal wrote:

I will! It's just that I've been recently busy
I'm open for a help, pm me if you need it. Some of my friends working on their own skins for fun, but would like to share if there will be a place, i guess.
Topic Starter
comentarinformal
Obligatory post because it's been 3 months already and woah time passes so fast this is not fair.

Updates incoming!
System-generated images are coming. I need to tweak it and fix some errors, but otherwise, they should be available soon.
How it looks:

(white square is transparent image, to distinguish it from non-set images.)

--To-do:
Fix that damn thumbnail on upload erroring out. Current workaround is to edit the skin and submit it again, but of course, it shouldn't be happening.
Transform all the pages to the new format. You shouldn't notice any difference, other than Order By links working correctly on all places, and footers not going haywire.
Topic Starter
comentarinformal
Updates:
-the previously mentioned images are now available for all skins.
If your skin doesn't have one, it might be for two reasons:
  1. The skin is on the queue. Due to the activity of the page, it won't take very long. Check back in ~ half an hour.
  2. The server has ran into an error while trying to create the image. It should've told you which error back when you uploaded it, but eh, my uploader's far from perfect. Contact with me and I'll sort it out manually.
-fixed slight visual problem with the tabs.
-fixed bug with deleted skins.
-added a visual indicator on uploads and edits, with a random video to watch while your skin gets uploaded :P . I gave priority to this feature since someone asked for it on the feedback form.
-fixed problem with rar&zip extract. I have an user to thank for this one! Due to him running across this error, I could see where it was failing, and fix it.

I still need to do something with the thumbnail-less skins. Hide them... Make a script to generate thumbnails too... Do them by hand via PS... I don't know. I'll think about it later.

--
Other parts of the feedback given were that a big part of the hosted skins are not... up to the level, which could be fixed with some moderation.
I wanted to give my personal opinion on this one: I would be playing with fire.
The page doesn't get more than 10 uploads each month ( 3 this month, 6 the previous one), and this is counting duplicates. Would it be right of me to disable some of those for not meeting a standard (losing that user for sure + friends/others like him)? Maybe, but then, how would I deal with the problem of few uploaders if the number decreases?
- Marco -

mania is bugged D:
Topic Starter
comentarinformal

marcostudios wrote:

mania is bugged D:
Stupid error, stupidly fixed. Thanks for reporting
Topic Starter
comentarinformal
Little heads-up!
The images have been updated for Catch the Beat, and will now accept the new fruit-catcher-idle.png, fruit-catcher-kiai.png, fruit-catcher-fail.png and comboburst-fruits.png.
For the older ones, ryuuta will still be displayed, but it's indicated that you shouldn't.
NeloAngelo1397
I now this thread is pretty old, but how does one exactly download a skin from the database??? The download it button does nothing but take me to the top of the page where their is no way of downloading the skin.
Topic Starter
comentarinformal

NeloAngelo1397 wrote:

I now this thread is pretty old, but how does one exactly download a skin from the database??? The download it button does nothing but take me to the top of the page where their is no way of downloading the skin.
I thought disqus sent email notifications on discusions you commented on... Anyways.

The Download it! button sends you to the top and starts the download. Do you have a script blocker (like NoScript), or a browser without javascript enabled?
It doesn't seem to be a server problem, because I had no problem downloading that same skin.
xxdinorabbitxx
is the registration for the osuskins.info site down? because id really like to post a skin asap...
-Asuki-Chan-
id like to have my account for it but it says Fatal Error contact server admin / site administrator . why is it down?