forum

New feature: Beatmap of the day!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +41
Topic Starter
lolcubes
I hope this hasn't been suggested yet because in a quick search I didn't find anything.

Anyways, there are a lot of good old maps which people don't know about. The evergrowing community starts with usually recently ranked maps, or things people in #osu suggest, etc, but where are all the good old maps?
This new feature would somehow sort this problem to an extent, and maybe introduce some more dynamics in general!

The beatmap of the day is chosen by random means and stays up for 24 hours. To make things more fair, it should not include maps ranked in the current month, or maybe even the month before, because for that we already have the charts. This could bring some attention to maps which probably deserve more, and would probably give the players some ideas when they are bored, to not just press f2 and hope for the best. Sometimes a familiar song you forgot about can make people remember things or even motivate them so they just get back on a better playing track!

While this is just a basic idea, maybe there can be more things implemented using this feature, such as people competing every day on the beatmap of the day which will have separate scoreboard just like the charts do, just no reward (for now). Maybe it could be an addition to the charts as well, where the person who wins the most "beatmap of the day" challenges in the current month gets a supporter or a small prize or anything, or just nothing and is there for fun. Can work out many ideas using this.
Elfice
Gangnam Style
This would be nice, but even nicer would be option to download this map via osu!direct (even without supporter) through some interface on title screen :P
Saten
good old maps need attention

Elfice wrote:

Gangnam Style
please no
lol
Archangel Tirael
Support! I like it! ;3
TheVileOne
I could see this working. Support!
deadbeat
if it helps people find maps like this. then i'm all for it
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
sunken treasure (?
Akatsuki
Supporting this~!
Kurokami

deadbeat wrote:

if it helps people find maps like this. then i'm all for it
I like that map. :3 Only got through link thou.

I would like to support but I don't have star and peppy is ignoring every "support" post. ._.
Suimya
yeah i kinda liked this idea so support :3
Tshemmp

lolcubes wrote:

To make things more fair, it should not include maps ranked in the current month, or maybe even the month before [...]
I think 12 months is a better time intervall for the "forbidden" maps. I mean there is no use to link recent maps (yes, I think maps which are younger than a year can be considered "recent") at all, they are more popular anyway.

0 votes remaining, as always :>
ReVeNg3r
I stared and fully support because of old.
Novalogic
Nice idea, +1
ConanCloud
Sounds great.
I support your request :)
mintong89

Archangel Tirael wrote:

Support! I like it! ;3
Ava
100% supporting this feature! :D
ReVeNg3r
Bump Round I
it would be still nice feature to add :D
Stefan
You have 0 vote(s) remaining.

sprt
Kitsunemimi
I support this >:3
KinkiN
How about beatmap of the week? because sometimes we only have 1 betamap ranked in a day or even no beatmap that ranked that day.
deadbeat
we kinda have a beatmap of the month. does that kinda count
silmarilen
no thats quite the opposite of this idea, beatmap of the day picks maps from before last month so people will find out about older good maps, beatmap of the month picks a beatmap from last month.
Kitsunemimi

silmarilen wrote:

no thats quite the opposite of this idea, beatmap of the day picks maps from before last month so people will find out about older good maps, beatmap of the month picks a beatmap from last month.
^ This exactly.

Actually it can be from any time, but the point is that it isn't maps that were ranked within the last day, obviously that wouldn't work at all.
Kaeru
Supported.

I especially like the idea of having a seperate ranking board for the beatmap of the day. The one problem I can think of though is that not every beatmap has difficulties for all users, which means that not everyone will be able to join in. I guess the easiest solution is making it a requirement that the beatmap must have at least one difficulty under insane to be chosen. However, there are probably a lot of great maps that only have an insane difficulty (although I'm not too sure since I haven't played too many older maps).
Ezekeial
Love it, supporting.
SkyDevil
support (/> w <)/
Onisakura
I support this too~
Zexion
Great idea! Supported.