forum

Classical music

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
wmfchris

Maiden's Prayer is one of my all time favourite, it will be played once before I play any other song on the piano <3
dNextGen
dunno i only like chopin stuff and moonlight sonata,also ode to joy by beethoven

44teruk is awesome aswell

i think this one is classical too

Kyujuroku 96
Is there any fan of Maurice Ravel's Bolero? cuz I'm one
I'll probably map the Taiko no Tasujin DS verision soon

Kyujuroku 96

UnderminE
I remember once I listened to Beethoven's 9th Symphony twice while studying for the exams. I also remember I passed all of them.

Also quoting from Piano thread:

UnderminE wrote:

I wasn't planning to post youtube videos on this sub-forum, but I had to post this one because no words could describe this epicness:

Dafydd

kanye west wrote:

I am a HUGE Chopin fan. Everything in this YouTube channel is...simply amazing.
I love the Black Key Etude... I think it was also Chopin. :D
Moriya Suwako

bigdan27 wrote:

Yeah I love Bolero very much =w=
Blue Stig
Andrew York.
Good Stuff.

Layne_old_1
~
Yuugo
Birdy
RynaHitsune
Beethoven...

BanYa...

Isaac Shepard musics~

(...I can't post youtube for some reasons .u.)
hmku_hikari
Fur Elise? :3
Louis Cyphre
1. Frederic Francois Chopin.

Favourite pieces:

1. Revolutionary Etude op 10 №12
2. Waltz №2 op 69
3. Fantasie Impromptu op posth (66)
4. Nocturne №20 op posth
5. Winter Wind op 25 №11
6. Nocturne №1 op 9
7. Funeral March op 35, piano sonata №2, movement №3
8. Waterfall op 10 №1
9. Octave op 25 №10

2. Ludwig wan Beethoven

Favourite pieces:

1. Moonlight Sonata op 27, sonata №14, 1st/3rd movements.
2. Hammerklavier op 106, sonata № 29, whole set.
3. Fur Elise, ,Bagatelle № 25
4. Symphony №5
5. Symphony №9
6. Symphony №3
7. Pathetique, op 13, sonata № 8, movement №3

3. Ferenc Ritter von Liszt

Favourite pieces:

1. Totentanz, Dance macabre, op
2. Liebestraume, nocturne №3
3. Paganini Etudes: La Camplanella
4. Hanguarian Rhapsody #2

Other favourite composers:

4. Johann Sebastian Bach
5. Antonio Luci Vivaldi
6. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Mogsy
I'm only going to assume that you mean 'classical' as in 'most instrumental non-jazz/electronic/rock music, usually made pre-second-half-of-the-20th-century' and not the classical era. Especially since most of these lists span multiple composers over hundreds of years and technique varieties.

Here, have some Béla Bartók, in that case.

And some Debussy.

And some Monteverdi.
Birdy
Moriya Suwako

Mogsworth wrote:

I'm only going to assume that you mean 'classical' as in 'most instrumental non-jazz/electronic/rock music, usually made pre-second-half-of-the-20th-century' and not the classical era. Especially since most of these lists span multiple composers over hundreds of years and technique varieties.
Well I assume that 'classical' means 'the music with serious meanings', and that's my definition of classical music. Actually there are lots of composers in 20th century and 21st century:some of them use radical techniques such as the absence of tonality(a.k.a. atonic music) while others put jazz/rock elements into their own music(a perfect and famous example is some of Ravel's works).
It's not necessary to be instrumental, in my opinion. Like Schoenberg and Webern, who wrote lots of vocal music.
Moriya Suwako
Lemme post some contemporary music. Just like contemporary art, they have meanings beyond comprehension.(But yeah, they're classified under classical music)

John Cage's 4'33

Schoenberg's 6 piano pieces Op.19

Edgard Varese's Ionization
mathexpert

Moriya Suwako wrote:

John Cage's 4'33
Hell yes, I was waiting for someone to post this.
silmarilen
this is my personal favourite

i remember i used to search for the first part for years, probably more than 10 years. i was so happy when i heard it on the radio and finaly found out what it was called.
mercedes2345
Mozart is my favourite composer, especially his works in 'The marriage of Figaro', when I found out it was being performed in my local theater, I couldn't contain my excitement, and I thoroughly enjoyed the performance :)
mathexpert
An absolutely stunningly beautiful piece, unfortunately it's by a lesser-known composer so not many know about it.

A piece that truly explores every inch of the piano to its full potential.

Written by Beethoven, Transcribed by Lizst, performed by Gould. Holy crap.
ShiroganeVII
I'm a fan of Beethoven!!~~ <3
Blanc_old_1

Trying to learn this. :D
Moriya Suwako

mathexpert9981 wrote:

An absolutely stunningly beautiful piece, unfortunately it's by a lesser-known composer so not many know about it.

Written by Beethoven, Transcribed by Lizst, performed by Gould. Holy crap.
Guess what!? I'm currently practicing Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor! :D
winber1

mathexpert9981 wrote:

rachmaninoff da man

I also like Franz Liszt a lot, but it's probably because I find playing his pieces fun, but fooking tiring sometimes.
mathexpert

Moriya Suwako wrote:

Really cool, currently I'm working on the Pathetique sonata (among others, but that's my main piece) but I hope to play it in the future too~ :3

winber1 wrote:

I also like Franz Liszt a lot, but it's probably because I find playing his pieces fun, but fooking tiring sometimes.
I've not yet played any of lizst's pieces, but I do enjoy listening to his 1st Mephisto Waltz; imo one of the best pieces in the romantic era

Moriya Suwako

mathexpert9981 wrote:

Moriya Suwako wrote:

Really cool, currently I'm working on the Pathetique sonata (among others, but that's my main piece) but I hope to play it in the future too~ :3
[/box]
Pathetique sonata is surely great, I particularly love the second movement. Btw the first movement is tough, good luck! ;)
winber1

mathexpert9981 wrote:

I've not yet played any of lizst's pieces, but I do enjoy listening to his 1st Mephisto Waltz; imo one of the best pieces in the romantic era
that was the exact piece i was thinking of LOL

now that i don't really play piano these days, my ability to play that piece has gone to shit

Don't know if I would say best piece, but damn fun to play. those slow sections are damn amazing too.
LQA20Ans

M.Ravel - Gaspard de la Nuit
played by Martha Argerich

My most favorite Ravel's composition.

I want to play one of them... But all of them are extremly hard. :(
Mogsy

Moriya Suwako wrote:

Mogsworth wrote:

Well I assume that 'classical' means 'the music with serious meanings', and that's my definition of classical music. Actually there are lots of composers in 20th century and 21st century:some of them use radical techniques such as the absence of tonality(a.k.a. atonic music) while others put jazz/rock elements into their own music(a perfect and famous example is some of Ravel's works).
It's not necessary to be instrumental, in my opinion. Like Schoenberg and Webern, who wrote lots of vocal music.
Replying to a month-old response after you responded to something I made 6 months before your response.

No shit, I know all of that. I majored in music and compose. :| I'm commenting on the typical definition of 'classical' in the modern public mindset. I just find the 'classical' umbrella annoying as fuck.

Also, this will forever be my favourite Mozart piece (obligation as a clarinetist).
Jacqli
I Guess Antonio Vivaldi (Spring 4 seasons) and Pachebel (Canon) is the best for me
mathexpert

Jacqli wrote:

Pachebel (Canon)

unfortunately, I've grown to somewhat loath it along with fur elise & moonlight
That is, unless I hear a spectacularly unique interpretation of it ofc~
winber1
Speaking of Ravel, Miroirs is also pretty awesome too, though I prefer the later movements better. Don't know that many pieces from him tho.

Moriya Suwako

winber1 wrote:

Speaking of Ravel, Miroirs is also pretty awesome too, though I prefer the later movements better. Don't know that many pieces from him tho.

I strongly agree. Here're some of the pieces I particularly love:
Jeux d'eau

His first Piano Concerto

All played by famous guys: the first for Richter and the second for Michelangeli(Celibidache conducted London Symphony Orchestra, he's also one of my favorite conductors)
I particularly love these two points about Ravel:his beautiful orchestration and the embodiment of jazz elements. Former one, as most of you know, his Bolero is a perfect example: although only one theme, the piece is beautiful thanks to the different combinations of instruments. The latter one, you can see it in many pieces, like his two piano concertos, or his string quartet. He made the jazz music even more serious than Gershwin. :D
mathexpert
I've somehow fallen in love with Mozart's sonata# 13 in B-flat (especially the 1st and 3rd movements) despite never really having a love for any of his work before.. really wonderful, clear, beautiful, & precise piece~

Moriya Suwako
Arvo Pärt is the best Estonian composer ever. He is reputated in composing scarled music but he also writes orchestral music. Somehow working in a minimalist style, he also likes composing college music (which means quoting other composers' work or melody into his own work.)
Credo (For piano, orchestra and choirs) is might his best-known work, as well as Tabula Rasa (for two violins, string orchestra, and prepared piano) and Cantus In Memoriam Benjamin Britten (for string orchestra and bell)
In Credo, you will hear the motive of Bach's best-known work: The first Prelude of Das Wohltemperierte Klavier. Then, after a somehow chaotic development part, the music goes back to peace. (A perfect Ternary form ;) )
Sorry I cannot find videos with good quality. If you love contemporary music, then this work is worth to listen. :)
Part 1:

Part 2:
iantanye
If you don't headbang to this you don't know SHIT about modernistic piano music.

http://youtu.be/UNsn7NjDPkM
Moriya Suwako

iantanye wrote:

If you don't headbang to this you don't know SHIT about modernistic piano music.

Haha, I know Ornstein, this 110-year-old composer composed a lot of crazy piano music. :D
There's an American composer called Frederic Rzewski, his style is just like Ornstein, which is full of discords. (I recommand his Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues and Four North American Ballads) :D
Fzero100

iantanye wrote:

Dam that's a lot of discords. Must have been hell to read all those sharps and natruals >.>
show more