forum

Hidden, mods, what do.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Soul-
Is it realistically possible to gain rank in this game without using hidden? I don't like hidden, so I've been sticking to DT and HR. I'm wondering if it's eventually going to become necessary to gain rank, so I should start practicing it now.
Silverboxer
Pizzicato
on easy - normal maps, you can't.
on hard - insane it's possible. (you don't combine DT and HR though)
XGeneral2000
It depends how good you're willing to get without HD. You can be like mugio3 and SS all of the really hard stuff no-mod, or be like Cookiezi/rrtyui/TTTL and substitute HR for HD and DT for HD+HR. So theoretically, you could probably break top 100 without using HD if you were good enough.

Realistically, no. Most people use HD to rank because it's usually the easiest mod to use. It doesn't require any better accuracy or speed than no-mod, and doesn't require you to memorize the map like FL. And generally speaking, if you can FC no-mod, you have the skill to FC with HD (barring maps with strange patterns or excessive overlapping). So I would advise you to start practicing now. Granted, keep using DT and HR when you can, because if you plan to break top 1000, you'll eventually want to be able to play HD+DT and HD+HR.
Plushies
Refusing to play hidden is like refusing free stuff.
Kanye West
I'm top 1k and can't play Hidden for my life. Flute is top 100 and can't play hidden. Even Cookiezi hates hidden.
buny
that's a pretty dumb question

of course you can.
MillhioreF
Hidden gets easier on higher difficulties, while all the other mods get harder. Don't worry about using Hidden on Easy or Normal diffs - you'll find it much more doable on Hard and above.
winber1
All hidden does is make it easier to gain ranks, at least at higher ranks. As said, it's not necessarily needed. I personally find hidden entertaining, but I don't always like playing it cuz of laziness or some stacks I don't feel like dealing with. But I would say I'm decent at it, even though I've had no focused training on it. For some people, hidden may come more naturally.
Aqo
How to know if you're good at hidden:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/230233
if you get less than 4% of an accuracy drop when adding HD on this map compared to nomod
then you're good at HD
El Koko
Hidden is my fav mod because it's fun as heck.

But yeah you can rank without it. It's just easier with it.
koromo

-Soul- wrote:

Is it realistically possible to gain rank in this game without using hidden?
Yes. Even average players can. I myself never play any other mods but HardRock and I still get top 50s on [Insane]s. Now if you mean pp rank, well that's a bit more difficult, HR-only rarely gets top 20 unless you can do really hard stuff with amazing accuracy, and pp cares a lot about map rank and accuracy from what I've collected. HD is usually the easiest way to get pp and ranks.

Plushies wrote:

Refusing to play hidden is like refusing free stuff.
Some people really struggle with HD, while it is true that anyone can learn HD with enough practice, you can't deny that it is indeed easier for some that it is for others.
Aqo

koromo wrote:

Some people really struggle with HD, while it is true that anyone can learn HD with enough practice, you can't deny that it is indeed easier for some that it is for others.
How easy HD is for somebody depends on how easy maps they're playing.

If somebody says HD is easy for them, they're most likely people who only play easy maps. If you play maps with spaced streams, 1/4~1/3 changes, diverse stacking and long jump patterns then HD is far from easy or "free".
jesse1412

Aqo wrote:

koromo wrote:

How easy HD is for somebody depends on how easy maps they're playing.

If somebody says HD is easy for them, they're most likely people who only play easy maps. If you play maps with spaced streams, 1/4~1/3 changes, diverse stacking and long jump patterns then HD is far from easy or "free".
Sadly hidden actually is really hard for some people (fuck me.)
Kanye West
^I know right

Frostmourne maps are impossible with HD :(
Zare

Aqo wrote:

I just LOVE reading your posts. I really enjoy you changing your mind about all kinds of stuff every few weeks.
This is why people don't take you serious even when you say intelligent stuff.
pielak213
­
GeneralZod
i can play anything with HD mod
Aqo

Zarerion wrote:

I just LOVE reading your posts. I really enjoy you changing your mind about all kinds of stuff every few weeks.
If you're referring to me jokingly saying that HD takes no skill every once in a while well they learn to read irony over the internet.
(it really takes no skill on most maps ahue)
Frostmourne

Kanye West wrote:

^I know right

Frostmourne maps are impossible with HD :(
I'm sad :(