forum

Tablet Purchase Guide for osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Soul-

faggotfaggot wrote:

Has anyone had good experiences with the bamboo splash? It's the only one I can find in canada for under 100 by wacom.
I also found the bamboo capture for 85$, the splash I can get for 61$ with tax, is the capture worth the extra 24$ or are they basically the same?
It doesn't really matter, I'm using a 30$ tablet, with no major issues.

The only advantage that tablets have for Osu! Is that they feature absolute tracking, in higher end tablets they may be more accurate in terms of pressure etc. which is useful for art applications but useless for Osu!...

Bamboo Splash would be a good choice, it has everything you need, and all the features that are useful for Osu! gameplay without the cost of the higher end models.

Good hover distance
Area change on tablet (on my tablet I have to change my screens resolution, which is annoying)
No latency issues.
Bonobo

Gnarwhally wrote:

faggotfaggot wrote:

Has anyone had good experiences with the bamboo splash? It's the only one I can find in canada for under 100 by wacom.
I also found the bamboo capture for 85$, the splash I can get for 61$ with tax, is the capture worth the extra 24$ or are they basically the same?
It doesn't really matter, I'm using a 30$ tablet, with no major issues.

The only advantage that tablets have for Osu! Is that they feature absolute tracking, in higher end tablets they may be more accurate in terms of pressure etc. which is useful for art applications but useless for Osu!...

Bamboo Splash would be a good choice, it has everything you need, and all the features that are useful for Osu! gameplay without the cost of the higher end models.

Good hover distance
Area change on tablet (on my tablet I have to change my screens resolution, which is annoying)
No latency issues.
Alright thanks a lot, you saved me 20$ as a student :P
Naccer
I live in europe, and I cant buy the Splash or other products that were in OP's topic,

So my question is :

Is the Bamboo Pen and Touch as good as the 99 dollar equivalent Bamboo or is it totally different?
Also what is the difference between the Pen and touch and the Fun S pen and touch?

http://nl.shop.wacom.eu/Producten/Bamboo

Thanks in regards :)
Fivas_old
I purchased a 'Bamboo Pen' tablet yesterday. I hope it arrives soon!

It arrived! but I'm currently staying at my boyfriend's, so I won't be able to try it out until Saturday. I can post what I think about the tablet then if anyone is interested in buying that model.
Yousoro
What a wonderful guide explaining tablets! I may consider buying a tablet :)
Fivas_old
I've been using my tablet for a couple of days now and it hasn't exactly been a pleasant experience, I find it very difficult to get used to (which is understandable) and I've been noticing the cursor gets jittery when the pen nib comes into light or quick contact with the tablet. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
clericlaw
FlyingKiwi
I should save my money for a tablet now...
The Lolian
I just recent;y purchased a Bamboo Pen & Touch 3rd Gen (I think it's a Connect).

It is my first time using something like this so bear with me... I'm not certain whether i should be hovering over the touchpad when playing a map or dragging with the pen and what is the ideal playing area on the touchpad.

Any experienced users with time to help out will be much appreciated thanks
MMzz

LLOsu wrote:

I just recent;y purchased a Bamboo Pen & Touch 3rd Gen (I think it's a Connect).

It is my first time using something like this so bear with me... I'm not certain whether i should be hovering over the touchpad when playing a map or dragging with the pen and what is the ideal playing area on the touchpad.

Any experienced users with time to help out will be much appreciated thanks
Hover, it might feel weird for a bit but it is very worth it. Allows you to move faster and puts less wear and tear on your tablet/pen nibs.
The Lolian
I guess you have a point, just the fact that using a pen from using a mouse is a massive step got to have wrist movements and i've always had problems holding pens weirdly as a child

Just a few games using it is tough to get used, i guess practice makes perfect!
theowest
does anyone have any clue when a new bamboo tablet model might be coming out? prediction that is. it's been a while since the latest generation came out.
RBRat3

theowest wrote:

does anyone have any clue when a new bamboo tablet model might be coming out? prediction that is. it's been a while since the latest generation came out.
A little ambitious for the same 10 year old tablet in a new wrapper :P

They'll push another one out when they find a decent whistle & bell to bolt onto it. It was mostly about wireless this time around.
Androgynous
Does anyone write with their left hand but use their mouse with the right? Or vice-versa. Because I do, and I'm unsure of whether to get a tablet. My rhythm sucks with my right hand, so pressing Z/X is going to be difficult if I have to use the stylus with my left hand. For those that have a different mouse-hand to their pen-hand, which hand do you use your tablet stylus with?

Sorry if that's confusing, I don't think I can word it any better.
zerod
nice guide :O
Karuta-_old_1
Will I be able to hover my pen with the bamboo splash?

by hovering I meant around 1cm
TakuMii

Androgynous wrote:

Does anyone write with their left hand but use their mouse with the right? Or vice-versa. Because I do, and I'm unsure of whether to get a tablet. My rhythm sucks with my right hand, so pressing Z/X is going to be difficult if I have to use the stylus with my left hand. For those that have a different mouse-hand to their pen-hand, which hand do you use your tablet stylus with?

Sorry if that's confusing, I don't think I can word it any better.
I'm a lefty who uses my right for the mouse, and I got a tablet in March. My left hand is still faster with Z/X than my right hand is with Num1/Num2, but I've made considerable improvement in the past few months. I have my mouse DPI at exactly double my tablet area, and as of right now my accuracy on both are about equal (but the tablet is a bit more consistent). I researched and got a zero-acceleration mouse so the difference between them aren't as big (aside from the feel), but assuming you have a more basic mouse or a laser mouse, you'll notice a big boost in accuracy with the tablet once you get used to it.
kuigliii
It doesn't matter if you're using a Pen&Touch or a normal 'Pen' tablet when playing osu! right? (Wacom Bamboo)
TakuMii

kuigliii wrote:

It doesn't matter if you're using a Pen&Touch or a normal 'Pen' tablet when playing osu! right? (Wacom Bamboo)
The "Touch" feature is multitouch with your fingers. Since you'll be using the pen when playing osu!, it won't matter. (My Bamboo Capture is a Pen&Touch tablet, and TBH I've disabled the multitouch feature because I never use it).
LTTP
Also I just started osu, if I do end up getting a tablet, it will more then likely be Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen and Touch Tablet
Thanks OP!
zozozofun
Wacom Bamboo Pen CTL-470, just that.
Kanegae
I play CTB quite often, but never played osu!standard, really. This month I played a little of it, but I hate playing it with the mice/mouse, and I love playing in my cousin's android tablet... So, thanks for the guide, looking forward about buying one.
Girochin007
Anyone use the buttons on their tablet??? Just wondering because my Bamboo Fun has 4 nice buttons on it, and I figured they might be better than wearing out my keyboard (plus I can control everything from my lap.)
TakuMii

Girochin007 wrote:

Anyone use the buttons on their tablet??? Just wondering because my Bamboo Fun has 4 nice buttons on it, and I figured they might be better than wearing out my keyboard (plus I can control everything from my lap.)
My Bamboo Capture has buttons, but they're fairly stiff and have no travel distance. Assuming the Bamboo Fun has the same type of clicky buttons as mine, IMO it wouldn't be a viable choice. Your fingers would get more tired in comparison to just using a keyboard.

Oh, and if you have the money, go for a mechanical keyboard. It'll last longer than a normal keyboard, and it'll benefit your playing/typing. If that takes up too much space, you could try a Razer Orbweaver mechanical keypad (I'd recommend the Stealth Edition if you're looking into getting that, since it uses lighter keyswitches than the standard edition).
The Muffin Man
Could anyone possibly clarify the differences between Wacom Bamboo models? I see CTH-470, CTH-470s, CTL-470 being thrown around mainly, but on Amazon.co.uk there are plenty more than that, some being very much cheaper than others.

Is Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet (the Connect?) a common tablet choice, or are the differently coloured ones with buttons (which seem to be the Pen & Touch series)?

From some more research, I've come to the conclusion that the CTL-470 is a pen-only tablet, while CTH-470 includes touch input also. What about the 's' and 'k' prefixes - what do they indicate?
dealth0072
Got a Bamboo Pen and Touch off ebay for $30, hardly used. I'm a happy camper. CTL-460. They're good for osu right?

Now if I can figure out how to play well with it without my wrist shaking.
Xho

The Muffin Man wrote:

Could anyone possibly clarify the differences between Wacom Bamboo models? I see CTH-470, CTH-470s, CTL-470 being thrown around mainly, but on Amazon.co.uk there are plenty more than that, some being very much cheaper than others.

Is Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet (the Connect?) a common tablet choice, or are the differently coloured ones with buttons (which seem to be the Pen & Touch series)?

From some more research, I've come to the conclusion that the CTL-470 is a pen-only tablet, while CTH-470 includes touch input also. What about the 's' and 'k' prefixes - what do they indicate?
I'd like to know this aswell. Also, I can only find the CTL-470K-NL in my country, and not the "Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet (CTL471)"

What is the difference with the CTL471 an the CTL470?, and then the 'K-NL' behind it, is just a country tag or something? The Wacom / Bamboo site is unclear aswell. I won't need the touch function on my tablet so I won't need CTH.
TakuMii

Xhomas wrote:

The Muffin Man wrote:

I'd like to know this aswell. Also, I can only find the CTL-470K-NL in my country, and not the "Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet (CTL471)"

What is the difference with the CTL471 an the CTL470?, and then the 'K-NL' behind it, is just a country tag or something? The Wacom / Bamboo site is unclear aswell. I won't need the touch function on my tablet so I won't need CTH.
As far as I can tell, the difference between the CTL470 and CTL471, as well as the several different letter suffixes, is just the marketing and/or the included art software (such as the CTH-470s Bamboo Manga). The -NL is a country tag though.
The Muffin Man

YayMii wrote:

Xhomas wrote:

As far as I can tell, the difference between the CTL470 and CTL471, as well as the several different letter suffixes, is just the marketing and/or the included art software (such as the CTH-470s Bamboo Manga). The -NL is a country tag though.
Still not certain about the -K-DE/EN models there are on the .co.uk Amazon (a German model?), but luckily there aren't any other Bamboo Pen choices.
For reference, I am planning to buy the CTL-470(-K-EN), which is a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet (no touch functionality).
TakuMii

The Muffin Man wrote:

Still not certain about the -K-DE/EN models there are on the .co.uk Amazon (a German model?), but luckily there aren't any other Bamboo Pen choices.
For reference, I am planning to buy the CTL-470(-K-EN), which is a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet (no touch functionality).
What I'm saying is that the -K is a marketing tag and the -EN is a country tag. There's no difference between the tablets, just in the included software.
DirtyNinja_old
I have a question.

i love drawing and playing osu i gone buy an intuos3 but which one? there is an a4, a5, and an a6 which one is the best for osu aswell as drawing?
TakuMii

DirtyNinja wrote:

I have a question.

i love drawing and playing osu i gone buy an intuos3 but which one? there is an a4, a5, and an a6 which one is the best for osu aswell as drawing?
The Wacom Bamboo (which is what most people use to play) has about the same area as an A6, although for drawing you might find it comfortable to use a bigger surface. Since you can adjust the area, I'd just say go for the A5 one (the A4 might be too big if you're only just getting into digital art), and just use the settings to make the active area smaller when you're playing osu!.
DirtyNinja_old

YayMii wrote:

DirtyNinja wrote:

I have a question.

The Wacom Bamboo (which is what most people use to play) has about the same area as an A6, although for drawing you might find it comfortable to use a bigger surface. Since you can adjust the area, I'd just say go for the A5 one (the A4 might be too big if you're only just getting into digital art), and just use the settings to make the active area smaller when you're playing osu!.
And what size of active area is good for osu
TakuMii

DirtyNinja wrote:

And what size of active area is good for osu
Full area on a Bamboo tablet is 5.8" x 3.6" (147mm x 92mm), but since you'll be buying a bigger tablet you'll have more flexibility with your area. You'll want to play around with it and find an area that is comfortable for you.
Lokovodo
this guide helped me alot thanks
Trarc
Just ordered a Capture tablet yesterday. Wouldn't a pen mouse be a decent substitute though, assuming it's accurate enough that the tablet's absolute tracking wouldn't be an advantage?
Ilmanfordinner
'sup. I'm planning to buy a tablet not only for osu!(although that's a big reason), but also for making sprites for my games(C++ and SFML FTW). And because of this, I don't think the small screen size of the Bamboo Pen will be big enough (although I've never used a graphics tablet, so I can't say). So, I found an alternative here.
I've read a couple of reviews of it and they all seemed pretty positive(the only drawback being the pen, which feels cheap and uses batteries, which most likely won't bug me too much). But how would it perform in Osu!? Some people told me non-Wacom teblets aren't great for Osu! and have too long delays. But, this Monoprice does just about everything better than the Bamboo Pen, for the same price.

If anyone has the Monoprice, I'd gladly want to hear how it performs in Osu!.
Remyria
i have a bamboo :)
AlexSant
I'm using mouse and keyboard, I think it's a good way to play.
Can I use wacom tablets with keyboard ?
[CrystalHeart]
show more