forum

Nintendo - Super Mario Bros Medley (Storyboarded!)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 1:41:46 AM

Artist: Nintendo
Title: Super Mario Bros Medley
BPM: 100.2
Filesize: 2635kb
Play Time: 02:26
Difficulties Available:
  1. Super Easy (1.07 stars, 150 notes)
  2. Super Hard (4.69 stars, 409 notes)
  3. Super Normal (3.98 stars, 286 notes)
Download: Nintendo - Super Mario Bros Medley
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Post-rank update: Finally fixed endless loop that messed up the ending

Updated again: Full song done, although the timing for the later bits is a bit iffy. Let me know what you think. Also, storyboard! It's not going to get any more complex than it is now; just a passive backdrop. It looks best at 640x480, because the scaling looks wrong at higher resolutions.

Moving to completed, because I don't think I'll do alternate difficulties for this one, unless there is demand. Also, I'd appreciate any tips on timing the last couple of sections.

Fixed timing based on AWP's suggestions. Thanks!

Added "fail" ending. Do poorly and be rewarded with hilarity, just like in Ouendan!

Tweaked Hard based on comments. Also, added custom colors. And renamed difficulties.

One more tweak: Background graphics should be free of unsightly white lines. The Mario sprite is stuck that way, unfortunately. Still, it looks better than it did before :)

Last update: Fixed fireworks. Thanks AWP.

Tweaked easy a bit more.

Edit: Added Kiai time
mtmcl
I got first offset of 2935 and BPM of 100.2.

Then I realized the Mario underworld theme has really fucked up timing and I'm tired.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
The storyboard for this will be simple but sweet. Don't expect too much, but it will make a nice background.

MegaTailzChao
Haha, this is really clever. I love it.

RemmyX25
hahaha i love it. The star power timing does seem a little off to me though.(Might just be me though)

Totally waiting to be ranked
YoshiKart
*jaw drops*

This is so perfect. Great job, LuigiHann!!! :)
awp
01:30:95 (4) - this should end a quarter beat later imo
01:43:53 (4) - here too
01:47:12 (1) - LOVE the 1-hit combos here. That is awesome.
02:12:39 (1) - The two sliders here (and again shortly after) feel a bit dodgy. I'm not in a particularly good state to advise anything atm though =x
James
Same as awp's

And I realized you haven't updated yet. Silly me.

I like the second bgm it reminds me of the same (but more baddass) bgm of Mario 3.
aquabluu
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
EiJi
I just got this to see the storyboarding. But I noticed the final notes at 2:24 way wtfoff.
mtmcl
Regardless of small problems, I think we can agree you get a star.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Thanks for the star. Any suggestions for improving the timing of the fireworks?

Also, anything else I should tweak to get this up to ranking standard?
awp
Hmm I don't know about the fireworks at the end. The timing I mentioned to you, but it feels like there should be more kick to it. On the other hand, adding a strobe is very non-mario-esque.

The beatmap itself feels very rankable (well once you take a look at the stuff I mentioned in irc) but it almost feels like there's something missing. Maybe my expectations are skewed because you tend to go a step beyond your regular beatmapper and do more than simply map the song. It's still a bubble as far as I'm concerned but the fireworks feel anti-climactic? I know I suggested storyboarding them in earlier and the hitfinisher argument was brought up...I dunno.

bubble btw
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
The fireworks aren't the climax, they're the denouement. :P

I'm happy with ths storyboard as it is. Btw, if anybody is wondering why the map now lingers on the bg image for a second before the song starts, but don't feel like redownloading the whole OSZ, get the new Background image here:

http://luigihann.googlepages.com/super- ... s.e_00.png
James
Easy:
00:04:13 and 00:08:92 - Try to place this by 1/2 beat earlier? It sounds better? Assuming every newbie that downloads this map KNOWS what Mario's bgm is. It shouldn't be a problem placing it on a 1/2 timeline.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

James wrote:

Easy:
00:04:13 and 00:08:92 - Try to place this by 1/2 beat earlier? It sounds better? Assuming every newbie that downloads this map KNOWS what Mario's bgm is. It shouldn't be a problem placing it on a 1/2 timeline.
Tried it, and it sounded a bit lopsided, so I added the middle note back in. Sounds better, and I think they can handle it.
James
/me ranks.
awp

LuigiHann wrote:

http://luigihann.googlepages.com/super-mario-bros.e_00.png
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

fucking awesome
Haruspex
He he really funny beatmap :lol: Love it.
Alieax
This is, Amazing is all i have to say. :P
awp
yeah this is probably one of the best beatmaps made to date

I feel like I ripped you off by only voting a 9.

awp
Second place is now mine. The battle for the top begins...

...later.
YoshiKart
Is it possible for combos of X or 50 to get small Mario, Beats to get Super Mario, and Elite Beats to get Fire Mario? I mean, is it possible to make this?
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

YoshiKart wrote:

Is it possible for combos of X or 50 to get small Mario, Beats to get Super Mario, and Elite Beats to get Fire Mario? I mean, is it possible to make this?
Not possible at the moment (right now there are only 2 states) and to be quite honest I don't think I'd change it even if I could. I'm very satisfied with the way it is.
YoshiKart
Oh, ok. I never knew that there's only two states at the moment.

But still. Ownage. =P

show more