forum

Seperate Skins for osu!/Taiko/CtB/mania modes

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +630
Topic Starter
Luna
MLGnom made a neat post explaining why this makes sense:

MLGnom wrote:

What I am requesting is the ability to create game-mode specific sub-folders inside a skin's main folder for the game types. This is partially due to the fact all game modes use the same elements over and over again, which in some cases (especially osu!mania's implementation) this tends to result in a poor looking feel.

The Reason.

With the four different game types that osu! posses:
  1. Standard
  2. Taiko
  3. Catch the Beat
  4. Mania
  5. Any future additions.
You can come into a minor headache when it comes down to ensuring that a certain skin element will look equally as nice in the other modes, examples as follows:
  1. Some standard skin sprites in Taiko don't look as appealing. (spinner-circle.png)
  2. In CtB during kiai time, lighting.png for some skin sets looks weird.
  3. Standard skin elements look really awkward when mixed into mania.
The Need.

Have you ever tried to do a complete skin set for each game type inclusive of hit sounds?
The osu! template itself just so happens to have around 300 files when you include the audio files on top of the image count, this is without including hit-bursts as an animation object either.
As a skinner with plenty of experience, it is monotonous searching through all of these files just to pinpoint one which requires an alteration to fix up how it looks in-game.

The Purpose.

To eliminate all of this hassle by allowing the non-standard game modes to possess their own sub-folder, eliminating all of the clutter from the main skin folder leaving only the standard gameplay mode's skin set and audio samples with the necessary .ini file in tact.

This would give even new skinners more of an opportunity to want to make skinning elements specific towards a certain gaming mode. Some may want a minimalistic skin for standard but something a little flashy for Taiko as an example.

Ideally this would minimise the need to pollute your osu!skins directory with different skin sets just for a game mode specific, as it would all be packaged in one lovingly neat folder.

Well, that would be all for now, I might add some more to this later or further clarify certain aspects but this should get the point across.
I would like to hear what the community has to say about this potential option.

MLGnom wrote:

osu! could check for folders and load only these that exists for specific game mode, if they don't - skin should be loaded as always. This might be countermeasure for older skins.
In addition to this, I'd like if these skins not only affect in-game elements, but can be used to (for example) create different song select screens for the different modes. The part above is the most important one, though.
Mithos
You could easily just suggest a "use CtB skin when playing CtB gamemode". I understand where you are coming from and this would work.
Topic Starter
Luna
That's not all I'm requesting.
In addition to that, I'd like to have seperate out-of-game skins for the different song select/ranking screens, which is not possible with how skins work right now :)
Topic Starter
Luna
Updated opening post with MLGnom's version from a duplicate thread because it's way superior to the old one in every regard
deadbeat
also since i'm requesting a osu!template update with all the new skin elements, maybe a supporter folder as well. might not be as needed, but it might cause less confusion with elements like menu-background and what not.
other than that, yeah. this would help a lot. make it easier to find certain game specific skin elements :3
MLGnom
If you can, please add this to the main post.

MLGnom wrote:

osu! could check for folders and load only these that exists for specific game mode, if they don't - skin should be loaded as always. This might be countermeasure for older skins.
If I come up with something else, I will let you know.
DJKero

Luna wrote:

MLGnom made a neat post explaining why this makes sense:

MLGnom wrote:

What I am requesting is the ability to create game-mode specific sub-folders inside a skin's main folder for the game types. This is partially due to the fact all game modes use the same elements over and over again, which in some cases (especially osu!mania's implementation) this tends to result in a poor looking feel.

The Reason.

With the four different game types that osu! posses:
  1. Standard
  2. Taiko
  3. Catch the Beat
  4. Mania
  5. Any future additions.
You can come into a minor headache when it comes down to ensuring that a certain skin element will look equally as nice in the other modes, examples as follows:
  1. Some standard skin sprites in Taiko don't look as appealing. (spinner-circle.png)
  2. In CtB during kiai time, lighting.png for some skin sets looks weird.
  3. Standard skin elements look really awkward when mixed into mania.
The Need.

Have you ever tried to do a complete skin set for each game type inclusive of hit sounds?
The osu! template itself just so happens to have around 300 files when you include the audio files on top of the image count, this is without including hit-bursts as an animation object either.
As a skinner with plenty of experience, it is monotonous searching through all of these files just to pinpoint one which requires an alteration to fix up how it looks in-game.

The Purpose.

To eliminate all of this hassle by allowing the non-standard game modes to possess their own sub-folder, eliminating all of the clutter from the main skin folder leaving only the standard gameplay mode's skin set and audio samples with the necessary .ini file in tact.

This would give even new skinners more of an opportunity to want to make skinning elements specific towards a certain gaming mode. Some may want a minimalistic skin for standard but something a little flashy for Taiko as an example.

Ideally this would minimise the need to pollute your osu!skins directory with different skin sets just for a game mode specific, as it would all be packaged in one lovingly neat folder.

Well, that would be all for now, I might add some more to this later or further clarify certain aspects but this should get the point across.
I would like to hear what the community has to say about this potential option.

MLGnom wrote:

In addition to this, I'd like if these skins not only affect in-game elements, but can be used to (for example) create different song select screens for the different modes. The part above is the most important one, though.
Thumbs up, bump this! :)
Tanomoshii Nekojou
This post is helpful for Skinners to be organized.... SUPPORT THIS.
bwross
There comes a time when prefixing everything just isn't helping anymore and those prefixes should be turned into directories in order to keep things sane.

I'd also suggest that there be a standard mode directory as well. Not that it'd have to be used... just so that if a skin wants some things only in standard mode, they can be sorted out (instead of having all the other modes override). It also allows for moving the standard only items out of the main directory... leaving the top level with only the universal items.
Rei Hakurei
with skin folder, no more game mode based prefix anymore maybe? (like fruits-, taiko-, and mania-)

anyway Star Support <3
Drafura
I support this
[suicide

Drafura wrote:

I support this
I second this.
Slih

Manchineel wrote:

Drafura wrote:

I support this
I second this.
+1
qlum
I would very much like them to be separately selectable as well, you have a general skin for osu! and common elements and you can separately select skins for the other gamemode. The big issue would be how about the older skins, how do you get them working in the new system?
jemhuntr

qlum wrote:

I would very much like them to be separately selectable as well, you have a general skin for osu! and common elements and you can separately select skins for the other gamemode. The big issue would be how about the older skins, how do you get them working in the new system?
if osu! finds old files which are not supposed to be in the root folder of the skin (in short, the game mode specific elements), it would move these files to where it should be.
bwross
Actually, the OP has a simpler solution to that. Old skins would work because things in the root folder would be loaded as usual. Things in the subfolders would override. You could move things if you wanted to, but there would be no need to.
Topic Starter
Luna
bump for great justice
RBRat3
I like the idea of using different skins for modes but im more interested in just binding a skin to a mode in options rather than modifying the file/folder structure. Possibly easier and faster to implement in the short run and it gets you to the same place.
Topic Starter
Luna
Just as good, as long as you can use different skins I'm sold
MLGnom

RBRat3 wrote:

I like the idea of using different skins for modes but im more interested in just binding a skin to a mode in options rather than modifying the file/folder structure. Possibly easier and faster to implement in the short run and it gets you to the same place.
Idea is not bad, but there is few things.

1. Which skin would be used by song menu? (Probably standard, this would work when we had selection-screen instead of changing mode in song menu)
2. Loading 4 skins at once would force osu! to use a little more memory (I think?).
3. I wanted to make skinner work a little easier. We have a lot of parts that you can change, easily to get lost. Especially beginner skinners or even players, they don't remember/ know names of parts and need to search trough 300+ skin elements to find one one that they want to change. You have edited default skin, you should know how this can be painful.
RBRat3
1. Simple bind the UI to a skin also or just use standards. Can all be handled in the skin select screen using mode switches kinda like this http://puu.sh/2ZxB5.jpg with a toggle somewhere to enable/disable skin binding.

2. You're not loading 4 skins at once. This functions similarly to what beatmaps already do when they include skinned elements only difference being is that you bind a specific mode default skin to it rather than a global one.

3. Putting things in subdirectories doesn't necessarily make things easier there will always be the "wtf is this again?", also there is already a best effort to prefix elements. Skinning has never been a pain to me because I use search functions and large thumbnails with a preview panel, I get by just fine...

For the recored not to detract your idea im going off the basis of what would seem to be easier to implement with little to no damage to what is already known and used within the community it doesn't necessarily make it the right choice.
MLGnom

RBRat3 wrote:

1. Simple bind the UI to a skin also or just use standards. Can all be handled in the skin select screen using mode switches kinda like this http://puu.sh/2ZxB5.jpg with a toggle somewhere to enable/disable skin binding.
Hmm... this looks interesting and it might work pretty well. (with this we could also have a preview for other game modes)

RBRat3 wrote:

2. You're not loading 4 skins at once. This functions similarly to what beatmaps already do when they include skinned elements only difference being is that you bind a specific mode default skin to it rather than a global one.
Ah, I see. Forgot that it could work in same way as beatmap skin. Silly me. ^^;

RBRat3 wrote:

3. Putting things in subdirectories doesn't necessarily make things easier there will always be the "wtf is this again?", also there is already a best effort to prefix elements. Skinning has never been a pain to me because I use search functions and large thumbnails with a preview panel, I get by just fine...
Hmmm... If I think about this a little, it isn't that bad as it looks. My bad.
I'm always using shortcuts letters of file names since I remember names of skin parts.
As for beginners... I think I can explain in skinning tutorial how to navigate a little faster in skin folder. ^.^
Topic Starter
Luna
I'd like if the interface skin (song select, main menu bg etc.) actually changes depending on which mode is selected (would be nice for themed skins).
As long as that doesn't cause too much load or anything, that is. This request was made when the special mode select screen still existed, so osu! wouldn't have had to change skin elements during the song select screen, which I guess might cause some problems.
darkmiz
support because every time I play taiko I have to switch skins.
DJKero
I can't understand why this isn't done yet...
TakuMii
bump for support, but no stars
I really don't like how all of the modes aside from Taiko share the same sound effects, especially since the hitsounds I use for standard-mode don't sound very good in osu!mania-mode.
Kitsunemimi
Aaaaaagh yes, support this D:
My current hp bar looks so silly in mania ;_;
Topic Starter
Luna
glorious 9-month-bump
Topic Starter
Luna
blah (4 months should be long enough to warrant a bump, right?)
Skadra_old
Yah!
Takuneru
I believe that would be a great thing to do, as whenever I play CTB, I change onto my ctb skin, same for standard, and mania... I am not much of a taiko player so I don't care for Taiko but if I ever play it seriously I'll do a specific skin and will need to change each time I want to play taiko...

Though I heard the options menu will be accessible anywhere and changing skin will be easier, this feature request would actually automate the process and save some time when everything is set up.
Support. Take a star.
deyv
Why hasn't this been implemented in the game yet? I don't even see a response from peppy. I really need this considering that I play mania, osu, and seldom play taiko. And it does become pretty redundant changing skins every time I'm going to changed my game mode. PLEASE PEPPY PUT THIS IN THE GAME.
Liam-_old
As a player of every mode, I would love this be implemented as it save the time of having to always have to change skin just for a different mode. Now I understand that you could just put the things you'd want into your own skin but I still believe this could be a real time saver for many people like myself! Supporting This! <3
Bara-
YES
To make it even better, it doesn't need to be in folders
Just make it Taiko-xxx.png, ctb-xxx.png and mania-xxx.png for the non-mode specifics (combo number/score number/spinners (Std/Taiko) and nothing for it for standard
Idk if this would be better for everyone, but IMO I think it is
Granger
Oh damn, yes. That'd be both cool and handy at the same time.

baraatje123 wrote:

Just make it Taiko-xxx.png, ctb-xxx.png and mania-xxx.png for the non-mode specifics (combo number/score number/spinners (Std/Taiko)
Id rather have the stuff in folders than prefixed, this way its less work for the skinner naming all the stuff and more organized when you go into the skins folder.

The main folder could be used for UI elements that are not supposed to change, say theres a file for the scoreboard on the song select, you wont need this file for the mode specific folders.
Vice versa, if theres no file for the respective element in the main folder the game looks into the gamemode specific folders, applying the respective modes files when you're in this gamemode.

The reason for this is, besides being easily organized, is that it saves some work for the skinners and anyone willing to modify skins. Instead of having the same file 4 times, once for each mode, you simply put one into the main folder, thus you dont have to create multiples. As a side effect it decreases the memory needed for the skin too.
Topic Starter
Luna
ppy pls
-Maus-

Luna wrote:

ppy pls
Ayy lmao
support
show more