forum

Let's talk Easy mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +950
show more
Kuro
I'm going to have to be "iffy" on this one... Half/Semi Support?

I wonder how this is going to affect other games modes... :|

I only play Taiko and everyone here is only arguing about one game mode without taking the others into consideration.. In Taiko we don't get the "3 life system" or the larger circles because they aren't needed.

As a Taiko player, I believe that the easy mod should be broken up into AR reduction and reduced HP drain because sometimes there's only portion of easy mod that we ACTUALLY need and the other is just making it overkill. Maybe, this could only be made for and only select-able in Taiko mode seeing as something like this would only be useful in Taiko.

They could be called:
Slow Learner -- Reduced AR
Painless -- Reduced HP Drain

For example, let's say Billy is playing a really hard map with complex rhythms in Taiko mode however the map creator made the map with AR4 and set the slider velocity pretty low making the map slow and easy to read. Well Billy only needs more "forgiving" HP drain so that he has a better chance at beating the map but Billy can only use the easy mod to get reduced HP drain and this includes reduced AR as well. Billy takes a gamble and ATTEMPTS to play the beatmap however Billy realizes that the rhythms aren't even readable anymore and look like a "smashed up piece of shit". In the end Billy fails the map and quits playing osu! forever....

FIN
cokeshawty
Lul this is so effin true
H_Hitachiin
I've almost ignored Easy mod but after this thread I kept testing things on it...
ShadowzI_old
Obligatory bump due to duplicate posts.
Loves
Deleting EZ mode is a stupid idea.

How many EZ scores would be deleted? If they weren't deleted then many newer players would call unfair on the older players being able to FC tag4 maps with EZ mode and getting a top 40.

We should only change the cs and the ar tbh.
Hanyuu
For nowadays in my opinion the ez mod should decrease the life drain and give a second chance only.

That actually makes the map easier and not a totally different map!
Oinari-sama
IMO for administrative's sake, It's a lot easier to leave the old easy mod alone and make a new "Free Play" instead.

In "Free Play" you get x0 multiplier, in exchange for full customisation of CS, AR & OD.

dunno if this is worth the effort though. Personally I don't use Easy at all .
[Maid] NekoRyo
@Lily-kun
@Hanyuu
@Oinari-Sama

i agreed with this three :3
Winshley

Hanyuu wrote:

For nowadays in my opinion the ez mod should decrease the life drain and give a second chance only.
You forgot OD, I guess? :P

I'm suggesting about AR cap or something, instead of halving the map's AR settings. Like AR8~AR10 will be lowered to AR7 while the others stay as is. (or perhaps cap the lowest AR too?)
Hanyuu

Winshley wrote:

Hanyuu wrote:

You forgot OD, I guess? :P

I'm suggesting about AR cap or something, instead of halving the map's AR settings. Like AR8~AR10 will be lowered to AR7 while the others stay as is. (or perhaps cap the lowest AR too?)
Oh yeah i forgot about OD lol :o

The change to AR seems reasonable too to me for example if a player cant play a beatmap with AR 10 they could put the easy mode to play it with AR7or8 like you said.

Oinari-sama wrote:

IMO for administrative's sake, It's a lot easier to leave the old easy mod alone and make a new "Free Play" instead.

In "Free Play" you get x0 multiplier, in exchange for full customisation of CS, AR & OD.

Hm do you mean another unranked mode? multiply by 0 is 0. Well free play sounds like for testing purposes only and could be done with editing the map, since its unranked it will make no difference anyways. If its a ranked mode its too abuseable lol.
Oinari-sama
[@Hanyuu]

Yeah essentially another unranked mode, you've read my intention correct.

I know one can just go into editor and tweak the settings, but having an option to get that instant change while in game will be handy for training purposes (eg see how far you can push yourself).
Winshley

Oinari-sama wrote:

You know that it's *technically* possible to get ×0.00 multiplier and still ranked with some score, don't you? :P
The multiplier only multiplies your score when you starts building up combos. Having ×0.00 multiplier means that you don't get combo bonuses, you get only pure hit scores (300, 100, 50, 30 (slider start/repeat/end), 10 (slider tick), 100 (spin score), and 1000 (spin bonus score)). This is where the score you get from AutoPilot and Relax mods come from.

Anyways, that can be done by making a duplicate of the map with customized settings, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.
Oinari-sama

Winshley wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

You know that it's *technically* possible to get ×0.00 multiplier and still ranked with some score, don't you? :P
The multiplier only multiplies your score when you starts building up combos. Having ×0.00 multiplier means that you don't get combo bonuses, you get only pure hit scores (300, 100, 50, 30 (slider start/repeat/end), 10 (slider tick), 100 (spin score), and 1000 (spin bonus score)). This is where the score you get from AutoPilot and Relax mods come from.

Anyways, that can be done by making a duplicate of the map with customized settings, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.
You know what...I didn't notice until you brought it up :o
ShadowzI_old

Oinari-sama wrote:

I think your describing something akin to an unranked practice mode.

While lurking around the forums I found an idea about ipmenting a metronome...
and then I thought... you know what would be cool?

A practice mode that allows us to customize the health, circle size, and where to start as an unranked mode.

Yes this is going a bit tangent but the thing is, I agree with most people when they say that reworking an already done mod might be more troublesome then it is worth. So maybe a practice mod that allows this options and subsequently allow us to practice certain parts with guides and stuff may allow us to forgo easy mode and maybe even conquer hard mode and other mods?
VoidnOwO
Bump, easy mod makes no sense at the moment.
YunoFanatic
wvwn the big black even u use easy mod it keeps getting harder and harder
eldnl

BRBP wrote:

Bump, easy mod makes no sense at the moment.
Aqo
EasyMod makes sense, the only problem with it is the name. It should be renamed from EasyMod into something else because the current name does not represent the nature of this mod. (at least on osu!standard. for other game modes it might be fine)

Maybe call it LowApproach mod? Or something like that.
Natsu
Easy Mode is fun (in some maps) but seriously i think should get renamed
bomber34
rename the mod
add new mod like the often suggested Soft rock
add new mod with customizable diff settings .... what mm201 talked about in the custom AR thread

and MillhioreF will stay happy
and me too ... Easy mod is awesome imo >: I understand the hate though ^^
Stefan
Personally I dislike the Mod but it seems that many people find the fun of it. However I wouldn't recommened to remove it. I mean, sorry but we can't remove things just because they aren't working for us like they should (in case it is something which is filled with Bugs i.e. Favorite A/B but nvm) but we should find another possible solutions.

From my Side the CS decrease have to be fixed. That it decrease i.e CS5 to 3 is just nonsense. The issue is that some enjoy lower CS and then other higher. About the CS itself I would say Easy should decrease the CS for one, not for two (or even three). About the AR I think it works fine since it decrease it for two (I guess?) And the Idea of having two Tries instead of three (how Hanyuu suggested) would be better imo. I cannot really judge the OD.

However at all, we need a real Easy Mode but keeping the current Easy Mode should be done.
boat
Nothing wrong with easy mod, if you can't play the map then play a different one that has an easier difficulty.

It does a good job of making easier difficulties even easier and as such has it's place.
Silverboxer
Raging Bull
current easy mod already is based on original settings. Honestly I doubt EZ mod will get changed.
NicePlay_old
Support! Decision #2
Vuelo Eluko
i disagree with this suggestion. i always considered the term "Easy" to be a felicitous choice of words and rather amusing. in a sense, its half time in reverse. half time only makes crazy bpm high ar maps easier, as many tag4's don't have a single half-time play to be seen but are often overloaded with EZ. Likewise, you don't see many people hitting image material/freedom dive with EZ...

tl;dr ez succeeds where ht fails, and ht succeeds where ez fails. they compliment eachother well.

A rewording is the most I'd be willing to settle for but even that is unnecessary.
bomber34
Nice bump

I guess we could simply keep EZ mod and do a 2nd mod that let's you change the settings of the map yourself.
Of course you could increase the difficulty with AR,OD,HP10 CS7 but the mod should decrease score multiplier even though the map got harder

I personally enjoy the current EZ mod very much, I think it is fun trying to read that incredible mess on your screen where everything overlaps
Nyanaro
<3 this post :D
nxthxn
Couldn't agree more.
I would make Easy mod a Difficulty Increase mod.
Voted +2 or 3 (can't remember :D)
7ambda

nxthxn wrote:

Easy mod a Difficulty Increase mod.
That's illogical.
blahpy

nxthxn wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
I would make Easy mod a Difficulty Increase mod.
How does that make sense though? It makes most maps easier...

I think there was no reason for this dead thread to be bumped, Easy should stay as it always has
incelost
I like the easy-mod :(

But I agree, in alot cases ez is going to make a map harder (but on maps that are easy diffs by default).
Since it can turn to both sides, it would need its own, map-depending section and multiplier.
This principle would also work fine with other mods, but thats a big change.
xasuma
When editing a mod. How would you deal with previous scores achieve with the mod? If I get a good score with a more now, and two weeks later they make the mod easier, how would my score be handled?

That's my question.
Remco
I would rather have a whole new mod than changing the current easy mod.
Well i'm probably 1 out of those 10 people who enjoy putting easy on 4.5+ star maps, it's more of a challenge than playing them w/o.
So i would hate to see the mod removed but that doesn't mean there should be some changes to it, it makes indeed the maps harder instead of easier.
Bara-

MillhioreF wrote:

Hahaha, yeah, this really does happen to a rather ridiculous degree.
That said, it's probably too late to fix it, since it does affect replays rather significantly.
Quote taken from a rather small request by me t/255315
Look how big on an impact this has if it gets used

Also, think about other modes, in Taiko/Mania(/Ctb) it DOES make most maps easier, even 10 stars for example
It's too late to change it now
SweetMate
I think you're all just upset you cant read EZ mod. There are people that can and enjoy it because they know not many people can.
Its a satisfying feeling knowing you can do something that the majority of players cannot. So removing EZ mod or changing EZ mod completely destroys this aspect.

Just leave it as it is but maybe change the name to something a little less misleading. :/
CustomMods
I know this post is 4 years old but.
Just wanted to say this is a great idea.
Making Maps Harder to play should be rewarding.
Making maps easier to play should make them less rewarding.

Easy should increase / decrease PP and Score based on factors, maybe basing off of "if map AR = 7 or lower, INCREASE , if AR = 8 or higher, Decrease PP"
and the same for Doubletime. If a map is really slow and using doubletime can make the song easier, you shouldnt be rewarded for needing the extra assistance.
GhostFrog

CustomMods wrote:

I know this post is 4 years old but.
Just wanted to say this is a great idea.
Making Maps Harder to play should be rewarding.
Making maps easier to play should make them less rewarding.

Easy should increase / decrease PP and Score based on factors, maybe basing off of "if map AR = 7 or lower, INCREASE , if AR = 8 or higher, Decrease PP"
and the same for Doubletime. If a map is really slow and using doubletime can make the song easier, you shouldnt be rewarded for needing the extra assistance.
There's a lot of misinformation in this post.

There already is an aim bonus to pp for AR<8 that scales with just how low AR is. It's not influenced by other factors and likely won't be for quite a while, but it's there. Mod bonus for score, which has a static multiplier, absolutely must be < 1 for EZ mod because it halves the OD and CS (and HP but that's not important). There are a lot of maps that do become much easier with EZ even without much experience or skill with the mod.

DT can make a song easier for some specific player, but in order for that to be the case, that player must have the physical and mental skills necessary to play the more physically difficult 1.5x speed version of the map. If you take a player who can just barely pass a map nomod, the DT version most certainly will not be easier for that person. The fact that someone may find the DT version of a map easier reflects the fact that finger control and AR6/7/8 reading are skills that people don't bother with anymore. Buffing those skills a bit in pp would probably be a good idea, but if you buff them to the point where playing a map with DT gives you LESS pp than playing it nomod, you've gone waaaaaaaaay too far.
shioty
I agree to this thread
Bara-
Actually, asukan is right
Many people complain about EZ mod, because they can't play it them selves
Other people call EZ players bad cause they only read low AR
I HATE that. I'm an EZ player myself and people talk bad about it
I like it, as it creates difficulties
It's only a problem the score/pp gets lowered
show more