forum

How often do you try to FC maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aqo
There's very little FCs on maps. Is this really because people can't FC them, or simply because they never try?

How often do you try to FC maps? When trying to FC, do you intentionally choose easy maps where an FC would be easy, or try to push your limits with maps that you can barely FC? When not trying to FC, what goals do you set for yourself when playing?

What do you feel is the main thing that prevents you from FCing?

Discuss.
Raging Bull
No intention of FCing on random maps (like multi)

Aiming for FC on songs I like/maps I like.
silmarilen
for me its because the maps are too hard or i just dont like them (or i just get random misses a couple hundred trys in a row so i give up)
buny
I aim for high accuracy most of the time. If it's a hard map I'll retry until I get A and if it's really hard I'll retry for a B.

On random maps I'll leave them as an S/A without improving the score unless I like the song (turn on hr/hd or retry for fc)
d777b
I always "try" to FC, but I wont retry a song for more than 5-10 times unless I really think I could get a high enough rank (sub 50). Even then, I probably would rage quit if i couldn't get it in under 20 tries.
Illkryn
I always go for fc's (as proven by my profile where the amount of S ranks compared to SS and A's)

If I can't S a difficulty in less then ~5 tries, depending on how fun the map is. I just move to the easier difficulty and DT it for an S.

But I'm still bad at the game so whatever, barely play those songs few people fc yet
Loves
If i like a map, I will FC it unless it's tonnes above my skill level.

That being said, I FC 70% of all the maps I play.
Pizzicato
if the map is too long, and it's hard enough to make me miss randomly, i wont grind the map. retrying long maps is painful
Tanzklaue
almost never. I just can't fc shit, no matter how easy it is.whenever I try to fc something, it looks like all 300 except 1x100 1xmiss or 1x100 sliderbreak.

plus I'm too bad to even think about passing most maps, not to mention fc them.
G0r
It is pointless to play a map with a goal that is less than an FC unless you are just having fun or are practicing something specific. If I can't FC a map, then I won't play it except for those two reasons. If I can FC a map too easily, then I add mods until it's now a challenge. When I FC it I do it again with more mods. Often times I reach a point where I can't keep improving my score on that map, so I move on to others until I can, or I simply use the map for practice and fun. At least that's what I did when I used to play regularly.
GoldenWolf
I always try to FC if the map is around my skill level, if it's too easy I just skip it or don't play it seriously.
Main thing that prevents me from FCing => Stress and squares.
koromo
I don't really aim for FC or anything most of the time, and I hate retrying, "when it comes, it comes", I guess. I only really care about accuracy so I try to get HR A on everything at least.

It hurts when I get scores like this and this, but I don't really grind for FC, I'm just not like that.

So I guess my answer to OP's questions would be "not often". Also I don't particularly care about map difficulty, but I tend to avoid super insane crazy maps because I can't get A on those.
Silverboxer
chelly
I FC everything I can. I FC Hard/Insane maps to warm-up. It's a habit I have. Even on maps I've already previously FC'd, I will constantly retry 20+ times until I FC it. It just doesn't feel "complete" if I pass a map without a full/near-full combo.

That said, I'm too lazy to FC super-easy 2 star maps and I'm still trying to work on Insane maps. It's usually Hard maps that I FC.
Thatgooey
I used to be impatient with maps that are 1k+ notes, and wouldn't retry them. Now I straight up retry them without blinking with hd/hr on, no matter how far in the song I am. Even if I get a bunch of 100's at the end and I know I can improve the score, I instantly pound the retry button. The satisfaction you get from grinding a map for 20-30 minutes and finally getting a solid FC is a nice feeling. I never liked doing it, and would just play a map 2-3 times and move on if I didn't full combo. I finally took a step back to see why I was plateauing so hard, and noticed that I put no WORK into the game. I just played random stuff and expected to get better. I was wrong. Now I grind a map for 100 retries that is 1100 notes long for 35 minutes and it is perfectly normal to me. I am way better now than I was two weeks ago due to playing 100% hd/hr only with the intent to full combo. If I see a song or map set that I like, I go for it. I am a lot happier as a player now I think. My play has gotten noticeably crisper and more accurate.
Lucid Astray
Everytime i play a map i do intent to FC it. If i don't use mods on 1st play i can FCthe map with like 65% success rate on good acc. And if I FC it i add HD, HR.

And what stops me from FCing? Random misses. Well, if I really want to FC sth with good acc (lol, "good", i should've say average) acc i just repeat the map untill i do that. it takes me less than 50 retries i guess? Usually it's around 10-20. (not speaking of maps that i just CAN'T FC)

Engrish ftw.
enik
Usually I play everything once trying to:
SS -> FC -> high acc pass -> beat my old score. if nothing happened get frustrated and move to the next song
Rarely give it more than one try if the map is cool and I know I can do one of the goals above in a few tries.
Else I practice something or just derping around.
Kalas_old
it depends on the song.
If I like the song and when I am motivated I could do 100 retries in a row, but usually I try once a day to FC a map and if not I will try it the next time I play osu! again.
puncia
I try to FC maybe 1/2 maps everyday, which I know or not. It's just boring trying to FC maps I already know I can FC (that's why I use HD on those maps). Sometimes I just try to FC new ranked maps, but I give up if I see I'll never FC it.
Every time I try to FC maps like 0108 or Nogard, I aim for highest combo (don't much care about accuracy at all, since I can't even FC), which makes me beat my own records.
Bites
I FC stuff that I know I can FC.

It only took me two tries to FC o'er the flood - loved that song so much.
Natsu
I always try to FC since i love play with HD most of the time o3o i retry like 10 times for map o.o
Winshley
I won't stop until I SS'd certain map.

It took me 2 months semi-nonstop to SS Ryuuseigun with HT. orz
she_old
Needs poll!

Never, because boring.
Also the FCs I made were just plays that took no skill, and just happen to be coincidence, I didn't try at all.

Although I did retry http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24110 like 5 times with DT to try and FC it because it's so easy and only has 2 DTs on it(and the song is cute ;v; ), but I got bored.
Aquamarine
Once in a blue moon. When I was new I SS'd a lot of easy maps though. Was fun.
Varetyr
when I feel the need to get some Performance Points => occasionally.
CXu
Try to FC maps? Always.
-Soba-
I FC easy maps because I'm bad
Starz0r
I FC everything, even in Multiplayer.
show more