forum

New "Hold Slider" to prevent "overmapping"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Muyu
Couldn't find anything similar to this here, so I'm making the suggestion now.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR A SOLUTION TO HITSOUNDS, THIS IS A REQUEST TO CIRCUMVENT OVERMAPPING PROBLEMS.

I offer the solution to solve the "overmapping" crisis that nobody can seem to get their mind straight on when it comes to the ranking criteria.

What I suggest is adding a new type of slider that starts like a normal slider, however, has no ending circle.

What this would do is create the ability to map to sounds like guitars or electronic sounds, that have no audible "ending note", where in any other situation, would be considered overmapping because the end of a slider has to end on something audible. The slider would look like your average slider, but would phase off at the tailend, representing a sound that has no finishing sound. I personally think that this would be the perfect solution for people who'd want to map a lot of guitars in their maps, so that they can legitimately end these new types of sliders on blue ticks without being called out for it. This type of slider would count only for the beginning of the slider, and if found appropriate, the ticks it rolls over.

This does not violate the ranking criteria that we have been dealt with, as the beginning of the slider begins on something obvious, and has no real ending point to it - where the rules state that the end of a slider must end on something, that something being whatever sound you're mapping to.

At the same time, this would make an ideal solution for people who make maps with a circular flow to their work, giving the map a very nice linear nonstop flow.
Liiraye
How about making a timing point at the end of the slider with volume 5 (not audible)?
Topic Starter
Muyu

Liiraye wrote:

How about making a timing point at the end of the slider with volume 5 (not audible)?

Normally this is the round-about solution, but BATs find it illegal because it's still ending on something that isn't there, which is overmapping, and causes an increase in score where not needed.
Liiraye
Fair enough, but then again, if it would fit the song with a silent ending even though considered overmapped, I personally find no issues with doing so. If you don't fit it with the song however, then using a slider isn't needed in the first place. Make a circle note instead or rearrange your previous notes so that a slider fits! :D

(my piece of the cake)
Lach
if it has no ending circle how will we know when to let go? what if i just get scared and hold on for dear life
Raging Bull
Huh? I thought having slider end with silence is perfectly fine?
Topic Starter
Muyu

Lach wrote:

if it has no ending circle how will we know when to let go? what if i just get scared and hold on for dear life
By letting go when the slider's trail ends.
TheVileOne
Ending a slider with silence is allowed under the rules.People get away with it all the time. Noone is going to stop overmapping because they can use a hold slider now. Flow wise, it's a completely different game mechanic and method of playing. I'm not sure you really mean a hold slider, do you? Because there's already a large thread about those.
Hayden_old
is this because of my combo problem?
D33d
Hitsounds and map correctly and even overmapped sliders can feel good, to the point that tailless sliders will never be necessary. That said, it's always possible to satisfy the feel of the music without overmapping. Just be creative.
Wishy
Overmapping is not a problem and most of all those outstanding amazingly fun maps usually rely on overmapping.
TakuMii

Wishy wrote:

Overmapping is not a problem and most of all those outstanding amazingly fun maps usually rely on overmapping.
But as of 30/3 it's against the rules, so it being "not a problem" doesn't apply.

@OP: The overmapping rule only applies to hitcircles and the starts of sliders. This means spinners, spinner ends, and slider ends can end in silence and still be mapped the way they were in maps such as val0108's stuff. So this feature is unneeded, since all it would do is give a visual cue of the silent slider end.
those

YayMii wrote:

The overmapping rule only applies to hitcircles and the starts of sliders
1. There is no rule.
2. If there was, it would take all objects into account. This includes circles, slider heads, repeats, tails, spinner ends.

Overmapping is simply a plague. There's nothing you can do about it.
Wishy
Overmapping is the best thing you can do to make maps fun for high end players, since if you "properly map" every song, you wouldn't get many hard maps. Remember an overmapped fun-to-play map is better than a perfectly mapped yet boring one.
those
The best map would be one that's mapped to the music AND fun to play. It's either people are too lazy or too unable to do it.
Wishy
Well of course, but some songs don't really fit for super insane difficulties which is why you gotta rely on overmapping.
deadbeat
off topic: if a song isn't fit for a super insane diff, then don't make one
on topic: this doesn't really seem like a good like. if you really have to use a slider, then just silence the end of the slider or something
TakuMii

those wrote:

YayMii wrote:

The overmapping rule only applies to hitcircles and the starts of sliders
1. There is no rule.
2. If there was, it would take all objects into account. This includes circles, slider heads, repeats, tails, spinner ends.

Overmapping is simply a plague. There's nothing you can do about it.
Oh, I thought it was already made a rule because of t/125409 and the lack of Insane diffs on some of the recent maps.
theowest
Does this request have any supporters at all, except for op? I think this is a terrible idea.
TheVileOne
It has the potential to fit into the osu! formula, but it would only encourage more overmapping. Replacing previously overmapped parts with this would automatically not consider the segments not overmapped. It would just be overmapping with the new hold slider. It would be interesting to have, but does not serve much of a purpose outside making maps in other gamemodes play better under very specific cases.
theowest
What's the point of having a slider when it's not going to end on a circle. What's the point of continuing to hold down and follow the slider ball if it's not going to end on a circle and not give you any combo? All notes end with a hitburst. Without a hitcircle at the end of the slider, there will be no hitburst.