forum

Improving your finger`s speed?

posted
Total Posts
show more
I'm in the same boat, the only reason I fail or don't FC songs is because it contains a stream more the 8 notes.

I think one of the problems is my keyboard. I'm using the one built into the laptop and its not very sensitive. IT just feels like my fingers just possibly can't get any faster. Is it worth paying the money for a usb mechanical keyboard, or is it still possible on my laptop keyboard? If so, which one is the best to get?

I've tried the stream complication about 5 times now in auto-pilot so I can try and only focus on speed, but it eventually I can't keep up and end up using a finger from each hand :3
Wishy
If you are slow you gonna still be slow on the best keyboard ever. Mechanical keyboards help with endurance and therefore with accuracy but that's it. Tho if you can't even do 8 hit streams then using a mech kb won't help that much.
jesse1412

Wishy wrote:

If you are slow you gonna still be slow on the best keyboard ever. Mechanical keyboards help with endurance and therefore with accuracy but that's it. Tho if you can't even do 8 hit streams then using a mech kb won't help that much.
They increase the limit but wont make you faster just by using them. It's still all practice. Also that necro.
buny
practice sucks

jesus1412 wrote:

Wishy wrote:

Also that necro.
If I started a new topic everyone would shout at me T^T

Thank you for responses, I was just making sure that I am still possible to stream fast with a stupid keyboard instead of a fancy one.
I'll keep practicing!
buny
those built in keyboards are pretty crap

i advise getting a usb keyboard, even a $10 one
AWESOME-SAMA
Make yourself as comfortable as possible. Don't strain yourself.
-Anonymous

Waryas wrote:

take a break from osu, come back stronger than ever.
i'm ranking dt that i couldn't even pass before atm. and i didn't play osu a lot these past 2months.
How long of a break should I do for this to work?
I know it works because I've done it before but what would be the best time?
zerod
pratice make perfect :D
Qplayer

lolcubes wrote:

It's not really about the max speed that's the issue I think, atleast not for me.
I have serious problems staying onbeat on low and high bpm streams (streams longer than, lets say 12 notes or so). ;x;
Even though my max streaming speed is quite fast.
This. This. 1000x this. I think it's more important to be precise on your streams before you even think about speed. Try to get 300s consistently on lower BPM streams and gradually increase your speed. The stream compilation is excellent for this.

I'm a pianist so a stream is essentially a trill. Play piano more?
buny
try listening to the beats rather than spending the time trying to practice streaming that specific bpm
Sotodashi
How do I know if I'm doing too fast or too slow in certain streams?
Senryakku
i just retry until i find the good speed and make no 100/50
enik

Sotodashi wrote:

Was gonna ask the same. The pic below doesn't necessarily mean I overstream, right?
GoldenWolf

enik wrote:

Was gonna ask the same. The pic below doesn't necessarily mean I overstream, right?
It means you click in average 62ms after you're supposed to hit the circle
more like you can't keep up with the stream because not enough stamina, so you're understreaming a lot
enik

GoldenWolf wrote:

enik wrote:

It means you click in average 62ms after you're supposed to hit the circle
more like you can't keep up with the stream because not enough stamina, so you're understreaming a lot
Oh yeah I understood it wrong, so if I have something opposite like -60ms +20ms we can surely say I do overstream?
GoldenWolf

enik wrote:

Oh yeah I understood it wrong, so if I have something opposite like -60ms +20ms we can surely say I do overstream?
yes, or you're just clicking way too early
Oinari-sama
This is so wrong =.=
Maniya-chan

Oinari-sama wrote:

This is so wrong =.=
Troll. XD
[Shiroyasha]

Oinari-sama wrote:

This is so wrong =.=
OMG my sides xDDDDDD
sCam

[Shiroyasha] wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

This is so wrong =.=
OMG my sides xDDDDDD
flippin japanese, always coming up with weird shit,that's so freakin cool
silmarilen
nice vibrator he made there
Winshley

enik wrote:

That depends on the result from in-game.

If you get 50 at first and then 300 afterwards, that means you probably hit too late and then early afterwards, which means you're overstreaming.

If you get 300 at first and then 50 afterwards, that means you probably hit too early and then late afterwards, which means you're understreaming.

The same case goes to -60ms ~ +20ms, which is the inverse from above.

The Hit Error metric doesn't mention anything on *where* you did hit late or early, it simply averaged from all your hits.

Oinari-sama wrote:

This is so wrong =.=
*Video*
I must give that a try! *gets shot*
AmaiHachimitsu
As for streaming, some tips (I'm a bad streamer I know, but this is the very reason I can give some advice, because I tried to improve my fingers' speed in many ways)

- ppl already wrote about hand position blah blah, also try rotating your keyboard a bit anti-clockwise. Might help
- finger workout can really help. Pianist or guitarists know it and thus they use many devices for excercise. Most of them are quite expensive, but simple kettlebell would be enough. Handgrips may be used too.
- always stretch your fingers before playing. > use your thumb and push your index finger downwards while using your other hand to bend the middle finger backwards. Then do it the other way round.
- wash your hands beforehand - sweat on keycaps may really deconcentrate
- keep your hands warm - with some workout and stretching fingers should be okay for a while. Otherwise, use hot water or if you have a microwave nearby you can sew a small bag and put some rice inside > poof! homemade hand-warmer. There're many other ways (e.g. Niko had a radiator nearby)
- If you want to train your fingers in-game, of course you can play monster maps, but there's sth else. Instead of playing maps you can barely read, you can stick to easier maps. The thing you would change is the way you push the buttons > move your fingers only! Do not move the rest of the hand. People tend to raise their palm or sometimes the whole hand because it makes singletapping far more easier and less tiring. That's why you should make your fingers tired and pressing the buttons with your fingers only is a good idea to do so. You don't have to play chipscapes or other shit, just stick to basic, 180-200bpm normal insanes containing many single notes. You'll feel and see your muscles working ^^

I'm sure there was sth more, just forgot.

also
I think it's more important to be precise on your streams before you even think about speed
so true
gervin51

Neptune wrote:

Hey there, I`ve got a question, because I can`t really hit Z and X very fast, I can do streams, but not F.I Cry for Eternity`s streams, so I had this question:

Is there any way to improve your finger`s speed? Better hand positioning, or a practice method? Thanks in advance.
I practice a lot with streaming (mostly offline) and I can stream up to atleast 220-234 BPM. I also use a laptop keyboard but I recommend using a mechanical keyboard. A Cherry MX or a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mechanical keyboard are the best options. I also recommend a good mouse/tablet. DPI/Tablet Area should be the same with your resolution.
E.g:
Resolution: 800x600
Mouse DPI: 800 DPI
Adjust your mouse/tablet area until your satisfied. Then keep practicing on streams. I recommend going some of these beatmaps.
Beatmaps:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/90068
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/17972
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/34348
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/73474
pandaBee
Cool.
drum drum
Please don't necropost