forum

Storyboards: Extra "Reaction" Layer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
FerreTrip
I think the storyboards done already are excellent, especially m980's maps (read: Don't Stop Me Now). However, even though I feel like a total douche for saying this since I've never storyboarded before, I just want to suggest adding an extra layer for the storyboards.

I don't like how even if you're doing alright, not failing, you still get the "failing" animation in the storyboard since there's only "Passing" and "Failing" available in the layers for the type I would call "Reaction" layers because they react to your performance. So, I propose this:

Add in a fifth layer to the storyboard editor, one that shows what happens when you end up getting a Katu (Beat!). I guess it could be called, like, "Surviving" or "Struggling" or maybe even "Mediocre". (I'd say "Passing", but that's taken for the layer I'd call "Rocking", "Dominating", or "Owning" or some other similar more-than-just-passing term. </criticism>)

Just throwin' this out there. I understand it'd be a lot of work for both the programmers and the storyboarders, but it WOULD make it that much more kick-ass and the fail scene that much more "Oh, no! I gotta get my butt in gear!". (Although, I will admit, I'm also pointing this out because my beatmap project would be even more complete if a middling-performance scene were available.)
anonymous_old
Give a case where you would need this.

They're called Passing and Failing because it's closer to what happens in EBA/OTO [citation-needed]. If a break starts at some moment, Passing would show a "O" while Failing would show a "X".

You can fail even if you FC a song (e.g. you get all 50's), so hitting a beat doesn't mean you're passing.
Derekku
I'm pretty sure I've seen this suggested before. It would just osu! more authentic to Ouendan. owait-
Topic Starter
FerreTrip

Derekku Chan wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this suggested before. It would just osu! more authentic to Ouendan. owait-
...What, do we NOT want osu! to be more authentic to Ouendan?...
peppy
The reason there are only two performance based levels is because there are VERY few cases a storyboard creator has the time or patience to add more. This was a personal choice when considering how long it takes to make storyboards. Personally I'd rather use trigger-type events to make things more performance-dependent than more specific layers.
Zerostarry

FerreTrip wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

...What, do we NOT want osu! to be more authentic to Ouendan?...
peppy hates every request related to authentic maps
mm201

Zerostarry wrote:

peppy hates every request related to authentic maps
QFT.

But surely, adding the extra feature couldn't hurt even if it's only rarely used.

It would work best if the fail/intermediate/pass layering concept is redone to be more like checkboxes to pick which of these layers a certain object should be seen within.

Personally, I could still go for three different endings--one when you O all sections, one when you X all of them, and a third when you get a mix. The intermediate ending could borrow this intermediate layer.
Topic Starter
FerreTrip
@peppy (Woah, big guy himself O_O; ): Aaaaaah. Yeah, I sympathize. SBing sounds long and hard, and not many people have time nowadays. Heck, I shouldn't even be playing as much as I do.
@everyone: Thanks for telling me why it ain't in effect yet. Answers my question. :)
awp

peppy wrote:

The reason there are only two performance based levels is because there are VERY few cases a storyboard creator has the time or patience to add more.
While it's true most people (myself included) would be too lazy to have 3 sets of gameplay storyboarding (breaks would maintain their passing/failing layers for obvious reasons) I'm sure this middle layer could be used in place of the "Passing" layer so that you don't have to be doing perfectly (just well) in order to see the passing layer. The lack of a middle-ground layer basically forces storyboards into one of two states: "Everything is perfect and happy =D" and "Oh no the world is going to end" even if "Oh no the world is going to end" was caused by 1 100 in a 300 stream.
Derekku
What awp said is exactly how I feel about this. There's currently no middle ground. =X Not many people even storyboard the passing/failing animations anyway, so I don't see how this could be a LOT less useful than those. At least some of the people that SB passing/failing animations would include a third animation if it was added. :)
m980
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
I guess the easiest solution would to be having a new layer called Perfecting, which gets the same treatment the current passing layer does. Passing would become the equivalent of getting katsu (green) combos. For levels which didn't have a Perfecting layer, passing would be used for all cases passing and above.

The only drawback of this is the failing layer will be seen a lot less in already-existing storyboards. I do think it works better than a "toggle", though. Worst scenario is people can update their osb files if they don't like the new behaviour.
Azure_Kite
While SB is being discussed, I'd like to propose another thing, I'm sure it's been denied before but I lost the thread link >.< If you have a strong stomach and can handle previously denied requests by all means click the spoilerbox below.

SPOILER
One of my ideas for a storyboard would require layers which respond to the previous fail/passes during breaks. This would have to operate in a branching manner, as the possibile outcomes (pass-fail-pass, pass-pass-fail, etc) grow over the number of breaks.

The idea in question is basically layers where depending on the previous pass/fail, a character in the storyboard dies/survives. This would stretch out to three breaks, or pass/fail notifications max (this would be 8 possible outcomes). This would probably require that storyboarders can add their own layers, which I'm sure is also a denied topic.

Of course, I'm aware the chances of this even being implemented are just about 0; the average mapper would not worry about such extensive work, not to mention that it'd most likely require osu to load every sprite used throughout the map, making it more resource intensive. Just putting my idea forward. Not expecting any results :D

Also, definitely support for this