forum

Microsoft dropping MSN....?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
whymeman
So I just heard that Microsoft is killing MSN for good because they own Skype now in roughly 2 days (in USA, but not sure on anywhere else). The only area that would keep it is China from what's being said from cnet. This actually started in March 15th though it seems they are ready to start plug at this time....

I was just now told about it, but did a bit of research and found an article here.
Cyclohexane
I feel like I've been hearing this for the past two months now, is it seriously happening?

Not that it's gonna matter to me, I already only use Skype
Hika
I thought MSN was already dead. Still trying to figure out why...

Skype dominates once again.
Topic Starter
whymeman

Mr Color wrote:

I feel like I've been hearing this for the past two months now, is it seriously happening?

Not that it's gonna matter to me, I already only use Skype
Knowing Microsoft, they don't bluff about things and usually force it through at people. I'm already using Skype as well, but it sucks for those I need to talk to that don't have it and those who don't log on often (like 5 times a month).
VoidnOwO
MSN had custom emoticons and better file sharing ;___;
I think they're also shutting down Lync in a month or two.
Topic Starter
whymeman

BRBP wrote:

James2250
Yeah this has been talked about for the last 4-5 months on various websites. Lucky china keeping it :(

Sucks for me because I really like the msn UI more than skype, but I guess I will have to get used to it (I always use skype for voice chat anyway).
Andrea

James2250 wrote:

Yeah this has been talked about for the last 4-5 months on various websites. Lucky china keeping it :(

Sucks for me because I really like the msn UI more than skype, but I guess I will have to get used to it (I always use skype for voice chat anyway).
I'll help you to get used to it :P
awp

BRBP wrote:

I think they're also shutting down Lync in a month or two.
please let this be true

originally I thought Skype was way better than MSN performance-wise, but after a while Skype started introducing updates that killed its performance on older machines. Still, can't say I'd be sad to see MSN go. It's like IE6. It's old and it can't keep up any more.
jjrocks
The two big problems I had with MSN were synching and logging. It wasn't a problem until I had both a laptop, smartphone, and a desktop. I like going back on logs and reading up on some of the past so when MSN couldn't do that properly it kind of sucked. Plus when people sent me messages and I wouldn't know until I logged onto MSN from the specific device that was on at the time. That kind of sucked.

But still, I'll miss you MSN :c. At least you'll have Google Reader join you in a couple months. That guy is pretty cool, I'm sure you'll get along
Aoriki
I think I did hear about this not to long ago. MSN dose show you can merge your account with Skype and have all of your contacts. (I seriously thought it was pointless till some weeks ago)

I will miss MSN since I've been with with them to long. (Oh....the memories.)
Birdy
good riddance
Shiro
If microsoft owns Skype, we're going to have to expect a few horrible shit updates in the next few months
which is the reason why MSN is dropped, it was largerly boycotted because of the latest update forcing users to use their real names instead of a nickname (among other reasons)
Mara

Do you remember it? MSN 6.0 will be 10 years old on June.
Ekaru
If Skype didn't give me lag spikes in certain applications I would be much happier with this news.
Jordan

whymeman wrote:

BRBP wrote:

LOL that emoticon just brang me so many memories ;_;
MillhioreF
MSN was my favorite client with Messenger Plus! installed (IRC-style text formatting, custom scripts, logs that actually work well) Of course I never updated to the latest client because that thing was horrible, I always stuck with 2009.
Really gonna miss it, especially since Microsoft has been pushing updates to make Skype even worse. Seriously, why would anyone get RID of shading on all their graphics??
Stefan

MillhioreF wrote:

MSN was my favorite client with Messenger Plus! installed (IRC-style text formatting, custom scripts, logs that actually work well) Of course I never updated to the latest client because that thing was horrible, I always stuck with 2009.
Really gonna miss it, especially since Microsoft has been pushing updates to make Skype even worse. Seriously, why would anyone get RID of shading on all their graphics??
My thoughts.
Topic Starter
whymeman

MillhioreF wrote:

Microsoft has been pushing updates to make Skype even worse. Seriously, why would anyone get RID of shading on all their graphics??
Because... it's Microsoft?

I'm just hoping it doesn't give us the "RedRingsofDeath" annoyance like what we had on the first two gens of XBOX.
theowest
gosh, I should have paid another visit to application before this happened. I hope I can recover my contacts somehow.
Kitsunemimi
Wow, I had no idea people actually were fond of MSN, let alone still prefer it over Skype.

For the longest time, I thought it would just die silently, and everyone would continue to use Skype as if nothing happened but... wow. Hell, I thought everyone had hated it from the 2011 update already. Personally, I never use MSN any more, though it is integrated with the MMS on my Windows Phone (while Skype isn't), so I'm wondering if there's gonna be some update there that ports over Skype to the integrated MMS/SMS/generalmessaging app.
XPJ38

theowest wrote:

gosh, I should have paid another visit to application before this happened. I hope I can recover my contacts somehow.
You can by logging into Skype with your MSN account.
VoidnOwO

theowest wrote:

Go to Skype login screen and click "log in with Microsoft account" or something like that. You can also merge your old MSN contacts to Skype.

And they should be in your MSN folder anyway.
theowest
thanks. I knew I'd get an answer from here.
alucardj646
Just to point out...
there is a thing called qq international that has custom emotes and video chats and more
it is a really cool service and is my main replacement for MSN

Though you have to wait before you can make a group because they have a beonlinelongergiveshigherrank thing
which means you have to ask someone who has been on longer to make a group for you or just wait
but still i find it better then msn was
theowest

alucardj646 wrote:

Just to point out...
there is a thing called qq international that has custom emotes and video chats and more
it is a really cool service and is my main replacement for MSN

Though you have to wait before you can make a group because they have a beonlinelongergiveshigherrank thing
which means you have to ask someone who has been on longer to make a group for you or just wait
but still i find it better then msn was
looks shady.
and I think most would have trouble finding people to talk to on it. this is why so many prefer skype now, everyone's on it.
alucardj646
I thought so at first that it looked shady but i got to like it after i downloaded it
And finding people would be hard XD
You kind of have to invite people to it if you want anyone on it XD which i did and now have a group of friends

But i use MSN,QQ,and skype all at once so its not really a problem XD

If you change your mind i could make a small group for you on it though and transfer ownership of it XD
Miracle Lotus
Andrea

Miracle Lotus wrote:

I see what you did there.
wmfchris
MSN is really a necessary part of my childhood, especially the minesweeper battle.

I hate how it forces users to update, and I'm still using MSN8.5...always the best.

RIP
Foxtrot

alucardj646 wrote:

I thought so at first that it looked shady but i got to like it after i downloaded it
And finding people would be hard XD
You kind of have to invite people to it if you want anyone on it XD which i did and now have a group of friends

But i use MSN,QQ,and skype all at once so its not really a problem XD

If you change your mind i could make a small group for you on it though and transfer ownership of it XD
Isn't QQ mainly for Chinese people though?
D33d
I ended up defaulting to Skype anyway, because everybody else uses it and it feels more integrated, if that makes any sense. It handles logging a lot better as well. It's a shame that its Win8 app is still buggy and limited, but it seems to be getting there and the desktop client is still pretty nice.

What bugged me about WLM was that it felt incredibly inconsistent between versions and also to the rest of the Windows experience. That and it always felt like it was lacking something. That and, let's face it, nobody really needed to use custom fonts or a lot of the other features of the program. Really, as long as Microsoft are intent on porting across features which were exclusive to Messenger (including the older games), it shouldn't be a huge problem.

What does bother me is that, currently, there's no way to organise contacts by protocol in the Win8 app. I can imagine the desktop client being about as painful, once everything's merged. Still, it's better to focus on one client when the Skype side handled calls better and the WLM side handled messaging better. I'm curious to see what comes of this.
alucardj646

Dulcet wrote:

Isn't QQ mainly for Chinese people though?
Pretty much but it still is international
It has a lot of what made MSN good
if you don't like skype or other messengers then this is something to try out
Though sometimes you do get a random chinese person trying to add you or if you are me you get BIG TOM
i will never forget the day that i got a random request from BIG TOM
his avy....looks so funny....ANYWHO

I just thought i would share about qq since it amazed my friends and I
DerekMcD
Skype needs a blocking thing for MSN contacts because I can't find it as I right clicked it. Don't y'all agree?
Topic Starter
whymeman

wmfchris wrote:

...especially the minesweeper battle.
I used to play it a lot myself too.

As far as i've noticed, the first click normally didn't hit the mines on the older versions compared to now.
Oinari-sama

Koro McAlpine wrote:

Skype needs a blocking thing for MSN contacts because I can't find it as I right clicked it. Don't y'all agree?
Skype's "privacy tweak" is somewhat lacking compared to MSN and ICQ. I was looking for options to allow a list of contacts to see me even when Invisible, but nowhere to be found in Skype.

I guess it still needs some work in that area.
show more