forum

[Archived] Using unlimited FPS on OpenGL breaks osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
statementreply
Explain the issue you are having:

Frame limiter doesn't work properly in OpenGL. 60fps (low latency) seems to be working fine, but 60fps (vsync) appears to be 120fps actually (tearing visible), while osu! won't draw at all with 120fps/Unlimited (gameplay)/Unlimited (audio is fine, but showing my desktop and other windows as if osu! is fully transparent)

Is it reproducible? If so, explain the steps to do so:

1. Set rendering to OpenGL fullscreen 60fps (vsync)
2. Restart osu! and see what happens
3. Set rendering to OpenGL fullscreen Unlimited
4. Restart osu! and see what happens

Include any relevant video or screenshots, and hardware information for hard crashes or lag issues:

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00 GHz
8GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770M + Intel HD 3000 (osu! running on Intel HD 3000)
Windows 7 x64

OpenGL fullscreen 60fps (vsync). Actually running at 248fps with tearing.
With CustomFrameLimit = 200 in config file and osu! is usually running at ~250fps in DirectX fullscreen 200fps.

OpenGL fullscreen 60fps (vsync). Actually running at 139fps with tearing.
With the default CustomFrameLimit = 120.
MillhioreF
I deal with several posts about this problem a week - I think a good 15-25 of my posts are just the copypasted answer to this problem.

Basically, people are using OpenGL, then change the frame limiter - not realizing this is a bad idea - and get locked out of osu! unless they use the recovery mode to get back to DirectX. Naturally, they don't know that mode exists, so they come to this forum for help.

Obviously this is rather annoying. I know OpenGL revamp isn't coming for quite a while, but if one of the devs could disable unlimited FPS for OpenGL for the moment, that'd be grand. Don't even have to fix it just yet as long as the broken option is gone! It'd save me and the other tech support members a lot of time, too!
James2250
Definitely agree to disabling it temporarily. It's nice that the shift functionality can easily fix it but it still doesn't need to happen at all.
Dexus
Too many people would complain and rage if you removed unlimited FPS for OpenGL
grumd
Confirming, OpenGL + Unlimited FPS on latest build don't work.
peppy
Works here. What's the issue?
Topic Starter
statementreply

peppy wrote:

t/112056
Basically OpenGL frame limiter doesn't work as intended.
deadbeat
i've never had a issue :/
theowest
merging this with statementreply's topic t/112056
MillhioreF
Now that you mention it, I just tested again and unlimited FPS works fine. I could have sworn it didn't when I tested a couple months ago...

There must be some other OpenGL condition that's causing all these users to get invisible osu! windows, so I'll keep testing.
Topic Starter
statementreply
It happens to me in fullscreen and borderless modes only.
grumd

peppy wrote:

Tried it on my PC, it works fine.
The issue still happens on my laptop though. I change FPS from vsync to unlimited and the screen starts going crazy. When I try to make a screenshot, it suddenly normalizes.
Edit: Tried to record a video via Bandicam... The video was just fine (while the screen wasn't).
If I find my flash card for camera, I'll try to record a video with it.
TheVileOne
Didn't work for me last time I tried it. I really have no idea what causes it to break.
MillhioreF

grumd wrote:

Tried it on my PC, it works fine.
The issue still happens on my laptop though.
Could you post your system specs and graphics card for eadch of them? That might help narrow down the problem.
ztrot
no problems with it here. These are my specs if it helps
TheAussie
Why would anyone with modern computer specs need to use OpenGL? i thought most would use DirectX

but yeah.. no problems here with OpenGL.
TheVileOne

Takeda Shingen wrote:

Why would anyone with modern computer specs need to use OpenGL? i thought most would use DirectX

peppy plans to get rid of directX entirely at some point in the distant future. I don't exactly know why.
MillhioreF

TheVileOne wrote:

Takeda Shingen wrote:

peppy plans to get rid of directX entirely at some point in the distant future. I don't exactly know why.
DirectX is one of the elements that make native ports to non-Windows operating systems impossible. It's here to stay for quite a while though, osu!'s implementation of OpenGL is still pretty far behind the DirectX implementation...
TakuMii
FYI, the newest version of OpenGL is not very behind, or up to par with DirectX. The only reason DirectX is still dominant is because Microsoft still practically owns the PC market.
MillhioreF
Bumping this - it should at least be made harder to access until we figure out what's going on.

Here's a bunch of resolved issues about this exact problem from recently - there are quite a few more than these, especially recently, but these are just the ones where the OP came back and clarified the problem was fixed, there are many many more where the thread was abandoned.

t/115868
t/124986
t/122515
t/123466
t/118766
grumd
Soo, I did a video explaining:

Marcin

grumd wrote:

Soo, I did a video explaining:

Fixed
grumd
So that's how it works. Thanks. Couldn't edit my post.
NguyenLin
I set OpenGL and Unlimited fps for no reason and now i cant do shit w/ my osu :vvvvvv/ halp
Trosk-

NguyenLin wrote:

I set OpenGL and Unlimited fps for no reason and now i cant do shit w/ my osu :vvvvvv/ halp
Create a new thread if you have an issue please.