forum

Rotating host/song choice

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,177
Topic Starter
sockmeistr
Almost all of the multiplayer games I play, we take turns to choose the song by passing the host from player to player. While this works quite well, there are a few snags; sometimes the host is passed to someone who is afk, or doesn't know what they're doing, forcing everyone to make a new room. Also, sometimes when a lot of players are leaving/joining it hard to keep track of who to pass host to.

It would be nice if this was automated as an option when creating a lobby. One player would keep host powers, but instead of the host, the player in slot 1 would be allowed to choose the map. When a map is finished, the person in slot 1 is moved to the end of the queue and everyone else is bumped up a slot.

Sometimes people choose to skip their turn, so there should be some way for players to voluntarily move to the back of the queue, or maybe opt out of choosing songs altogether.

There's still the possibility of an AFK player not choosing a song, but if the host had powers to reorder the queue, or just kick the AFK player, this wouldn't be a problem.
Aquamarine
I like this.
Oinari-sama
I like the "carousel" idea. Would be even better if the room can bump players up automatically when the person above leaves. New players joining the room will always append at the bottom of the list.

As for the idling host issue, there needs to be an inactivity timer. If player #1 doesn't click on the button to enter song selection screen within, say 30s, he will be automatically rolled to the bottom of the queue.
TheVileOne
Interesting idea...

I don't think it would solve anything. The AFK member would still be bumped up and you said it gives host to whoever is in the first slot. An AFK played cannot kick himself or do anything as host. I think it would be more useful if we could vote to change host if host has been inactive/idle for x minutes. That would solve your issue I think.
shinjiko-san
i love this~
theowest

sockmeistr wrote:

One player would keep host powers, but instead of the host, the player in slot 1 would be allowed to choose the map. When a map is finished, the person in slot 1 is moved to the end of the queue and everyone else is bumped up a slot.
Like this request then? t/99948/
I really think there should be a difference between who's the original host and who can pick beatmaps - p/2198551

sockmeistr wrote:

Sometimes people choose to skip their turn, so there should be some way for players to voluntarily move to the back of the queue, or maybe opt out of choosing songs altogether.

There's still the possibility of an AFK player not choosing a song, but if the host had powers to reorder the queue, or just kick the AFK player, this wouldn't be a problem.
I thought of this idea where you could press a button to request picking the next map, and if you don't check/click it you won't be the next possible host.
The main host should be given the option to automatically give song picker privileges to users or not. Sometimes the host just want to pick maps he wants to play and that's ok.
Maybe even customize which users he would allow to give change beatmap privileges to?
Topic Starter
sockmeistr

TheVileOne wrote:

I don't think it would solve anything. The AFK member would still be bumped up and you said it gives host to whoever is in the first slot.
I wasn't entirely clear on this point. I was imagining a situation where "Slot 1" and "Host" are two different roles; the Host has all the powers they currently do, but the player in Slot 1 has the choice of beatmap. I gave this topic a bad title because I can't really think how to describe it in a short title.

theowest wrote:

Like this request then? t/99948/
I really think there should be a difference between who's the original host and who can pick beatmaps - p/2198551
Thanks for those links - I did try to search for similar requests, but I was mostly looking for the "taking turns" aspect.
Yes, I think the host and beatmap picker do need to be seperated into different roles. If that happens, then it would be convenient to have an option where the "beatmap picker" role is passed round automatically. Maybe this feature request depends on something similar to that one being implemented first.
pykolas
osu is big community full of trolls. Those trolls goes to multi where is host rotation, picks shit maps, kicks players or keeps host. What creator of room can do? Nothing, just go and create new one. Circle repeats.
-[Shady]-
Er this thread is 3 years old...
Topic Starter
sockmeistr
If it makes any difference, I'd still like to see it added. :)
Rope Bunny
Every time I see some troll who won't pass host or becomes afk (which is way more often then I would like) I just think of this and go: "this needs to become a thing sooner then later"!
Axon
This is actually a really nice idea.
Pituophis

-[Shady]- wrote:

Er this thread is 3 years old...
And?
Necroposting is fine here afaik.

I'd like to see this implemented.
Adder
No, peppy is very busy, he doesn't have any time for this shitty game.
Caput Mortuum
oh yes please~
Rainial
This needs to be implemented: Everyone is always eager to pick their own favorite songs and sharing songs like this is an awesome way of discovering really good beatmaps/songs that people haven't played before.

However if i could just add a few more suggestions.

Lets take the example of a lobby named "4* to 6* host rotation every 2 songs*
Now, the maker of the game (the host) should have an option to turn on song-selection rotation, as per the original idea, but also the option of putting a force-filter on the difficulty of the song being selected, in this case 4stars-6stars only.
Secondly it'd also be nice to choose after how many songs the song chooser is changed, in this case every 2 songs, so that the option isn't limited to just 1 song each.
Thirdly, it'd be nice to add a feature where players can opt-out of being part of the song-selection rotation, for example, those people who don't have many maps or for whatever reason don't wish to pick a song for the lobby.
Fourthly, and probably most importantly, add some sort of anti-AFK timer, like the song-selecter has 120 seconds to pick a song or else the song-selection goes to the next person.

Some other ideas to play with:
Does the host get to force-start the game, or does the song-selecter get to force start the game?
Should there be a feature added where lobby joiners can vote-kick an afk host or song-selecter?
Should there be a feature to forcefully decline a song, for example, if someone picks Freedom Dive 4D and no one feels like playing such a long song, users can "vote" to forego the song forcing another song to be selected instead (this is probably communicable through chat, but sometimes people just don't listen, cuz they're D bags)
Should there be a feature for the host or song selector to put a timer on when to start? For example, make it so that the game force-starts in "30 seconds" or whatever defined time and announce the timer to the whole lobby. Or with this timer active, if 100% of players in the lobby ready-up, it will automatically start the game.

In either case, some sort of this implementation NEEDS to be done, it's just extremely useful due to how public multiplayer games always tend to be played.
Mewbles
I suppose a "kick host" button would help remove afk players.
pykolas
I am glad this post is alive again <3
Jude

Rainial wrote:

Now, the maker of the game (the host) should have an option to turn on song-selection rotation, as per the original idea, but also the option of putting a force-filter on the difficulty of the song being selected, in this case 4stars-6stars only.
yes, please!! i'm sick of troll hosts just putting a 8* map in a newbie room, forcing everyone to leave or just wait for the other turn.
Kyrari
I would really love this, making host rotation an actual option and at the very least adding stuffs like Anti-AFK measures and star range limiter would make the game much more fun coming from someone who just spends all his time in host rotation rooms and keeps seeing rooms dying because of that one guy who gets afk or that one guy who just chooses 8* maps on a 4-5 room.

There could also be an option to vote-kick instead of the host getting full power, so when the host keeps gets passed no troll will be able to just kick everyone out. But then again, I rarely see trolls that does that.
_Meep_
Vote kicking can result in bullying,ultimately.
Something like when you queue with 3 other people with CSGO, and at the last round you kick the guy who didnt queue with u/is soloqueue. Unfair right?
Tanomoshii Nekojou
I think it would be better if we'll add the concept of 'original host', 'host' and 'player'... The 'original host' has the biggest/super power over the multiplayer room... If in-case bullying happens, the 'original host' can get back the host privileges (anytime)... Also it would be better if the 'original host' can select the players who can have the chance to be a 'host' or just a 'player'...
But what if the 'original host' is already out of the room/offline? Then the 'original host' privileges will be transferred to the next in line 'host'/s...

Also,.. this is a bump!! :D I like this idea! Hahaha! :D
-shiio
Bump.

Seriously this needs to be considered.
Pickkle
Good idea, hope this makes it in game.
Wriothesley
still an issue
show more