forum

#mafia channel

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +123
Topic Starter
Seph
So yeah, basically its a channel for the sole purpose of playing mafia, wherein there will be a bot (Bancho might do) for it

Why should it be implemented?

1.) Obviously playing mafia is fun.
2.) real time mafia is way better than the forum ones, since you need to wait for weeks for it to finish, when real time mafia would only take not even 1 hour
3.) the Mafia subforum can be taken down

so yeah, basically this would be a great addition imo, would be a bonding time for many players as well when they don't play osu
dkun
Before looking down on this request; there's also an alternative that we've thought of as well.

Mafia is real fun, but we could use #videogames if we had the option to use an external IRC bot with Bancho to run the mafia games autoamted. I'd ask this as well for #mafia, but before the channel is considered, I believe that there should be a trial run to see possible activity for it.

I don't support in taking down the Mafia sub-forum, as it's a seasonal game for the most part for forums, as it's lengthy and needs the time (most play in the summer during vacations), but mafia via IRC is fast paced and would be better.

Here's all the stars I have left.
deadbeat
didn't there used to be a #mafia years ago?
dkun

deadbeat wrote:

didn't there used to be a #mafia years ago?
yes.
deadbeat
i wonder if it got removed cause of #videogames....
oh well. carry on :p
Sync
Support 100% -- things might get heated, but we should try it out and see what happens.
UnderminE
All of my yes
Topic Starter
Seph
thanks for the stars, hope this gets reconsidered!
ztrot
I wonder how easy it would be to have another bot for mafia games inside of bancho
Sonnyc
Play at #multi~~

Well, actually having a channel for mafia will be nice.
ztrot
lol I do enjoy playing it on the server dkun and the others run
TBTE

ztrot wrote:

See the point is about that is that maybe not everyone on osu! wants or can be fucked to asked dkun what his Server IP is and what to download to play the game if they don't already have a external IRC Client.

I support this.
chaotic_iak

Seph wrote:

Forum mafia =/= real-time mafia.

I'll take a probably superfluous assumption of 200 active mafia players at any time. We have two cases:

-> #mafia is not equipped with mafia game commands, aka all games are manual
This basically means there can only be one game (otherwise it's extremely confusing), besides the inability of having "role PMs". This requires a moderator for each game. But the more obvious problem is that 200 people in one game is insane.

-> #mafia is equipped with mafia game commands, aka all games are automatic
I can imagine a solution. #mafia acts as a lobby, where people can sign up. When a game is going to start, a new channel #mafiagame is spawned for the participants.

The problem is that peppy might not want to program it; osu! is a rhythm game and not a channel for mafia games. I also had a look at a mafia channel's programming (not here), and it seems to be too complicated to be considered as a secondary thing (the primary thing is playing osu!), not to mention that it requires constant development (new roles? new setups?). If this ever becomes real, I doubt that it's just an add-on to osu!; I think it will be an entirely new project.

I'm not sure. I never played mafia here, so I'm going to take a neutral stance, but I feel like it's not going to happen soon.
Prieto
:megusta:
Topic Starter
Seph

chaotic_iak wrote:

Seph wrote:

I'll take a probably superfluous assumption of 200 active mafia players at any time. We have two cases:

This basically means there can only be one game (otherwise it's extremely confusing), besides the inability of having "role PMs". This requires a moderator for each game. But the more obvious problem is that 200 people in one game is insane.

I can imagine a solution. #mafia acts as a lobby, where people can sign up. When a game is going to start, a new channel #mafiagame is spawned for the participants.

The problem is that peppy might not want to program it; osu! is a rhythm game and not a channel for mafia games. I also had a look at a mafia channel's programming (not here), and it seems to be too complicated to be considered as a secondary thing (the primary thing is playing osu!), not to mention that it requires constant development (new roles? new setups?). If this ever becomes real, I doubt that it's just an add-on to osu!; I think it will be an entirely new project.

I'm not sure. I never played mafia here, so I'm going to take a neutral stance, but I feel like it's not going to happen soon.
uh no, iirc the bot we use (daisuki <3 and it has mafia game commands obviously) cant handle more than 20 participants, so 200 at a time is impossible, and man 10 players is already a hard one what more with a hundred lol. and I already saw someone run a bot in #indonesian, was like a trivia game, and i don't see any problem with it being added to the game, it will just be a, lets say a time killer when people get bored and/or tired playing osu! itself.

It never needed any updates, the bot itself has everything on it, and it has so much setups and roles, so it wouldnt require an update. peppy doesn't need to program it in any way, we just need a bot, or rather an account which wouldnt be silenced for spamming i guess since it would talk too much if the game was on (sending roles, etc.)

but i do like that idea of yours, #mafiagame spawning and #mafia as a lobby channel.
Topic Starter
Seph
*cough*
dkun
bumpity bump
Kanye West

:(

support
Rukario
GET THAT CHICKEN RUNNING PLEEEEEEEEEEE
tn5421

chaotic_iak wrote:

Seph wrote:

You do realize that you can run mIRC on the osu!Bancho network, right?
We can simply get someone to write a script for us or find someone willing to host Xylbot for us 24/7.

The ability to run a bot solves many problems for us. Peppy does not have to get involved at all except for to approve/deny the channel registration.

All you have to do is put the onus to write the automation on the people that will use the channel.

Development is not exactly constant. There have been exactly 2 new role ideas and 1 new role modifier posted on MafiaScum (the largest mafia community) this year.

TBTE wrote:

ztrot wrote:

See the point is about that is that maybe not everyone on osu! wants or can be fucked to asked dkun what his Server IP is and what to download to play the game if they don't already have a external IRC Client.

I support this.
Indeed. It could be more fun and spontaneous if it were possible from within the game client.
PokemonShowdown has had moderate success by having their own Mafia subchannel. They have 20 users in their channel on average.

If anyone is in opposition, please post your concerns so that they can be addressed.