forum

Storyboard Scripting: Kiai time trigger argument

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
What?

Why not just use a normal loop?

I don't see the use in this, unless I'm misunderstanding.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

strager wrote:

What?

Why not just use a normal loop?

I don't see the use in this, unless I'm misunderstanding.
Normalization and ease of use between multiple storyboards on the same map.

It seems folly not to have this implemented.
peppy
Neutral. It would have to be called KiaiStrobe or something to disambiguify.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

peppy wrote:

Neutral. It would have to be called KiaiStrobe or something to disambiguify.
No problems there.

OnKiaiTime or something perhaps? People will use this for things other than strobes. You could even extend this to have different kiai pass and fail triggers.
awp
Wouldn't having different kiai sections per difficulty kind of soil the unity of the beatmap package, a bit? What you're basically saying with different kiai times per difficulty is,

"This is the most epic part of the song"
"no wait, this is"
"I disagree. It's definitely this part"

as if the maps are arguing amongst themselves. From the "Beatmapping is Art" viewpoint, this just seems like a suggestion to make something that is already easy a bit easier. Which isn't really a bad thing, but after a while things get a little bloated.
peppy
Which is why I am pretty neutral on this. Adding a loop manually is less prone to error/overlap and takes a good... 1 minute more to construct.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

awp wrote:

Wouldn't having different kiai sections per difficulty kind of soil the unity of the beatmap package, a bit? What you're basically saying with different kiai times per difficulty is,

"This is the most epic part of the song"
"no wait, this is"
"I disagree. It's definitely this part"

as if the maps are arguing amongst themselves. From the "Beatmapping is Art" viewpoint, this just seems like a suggestion to make something that is already easy a bit easier. Which isn't really a bad thing, but after a while things get a little bloated.
It's not saying you have to, but rather the option is there, so that storyboarding can be worked to a particular mapper and be more interactive with the gameboard than it already is. It just gives mappers the possibility to be more creative with their guest difficulties and makes the entire beatmap concept a little more fluid instead of having technical constraints force the submitting mapper to work in individual storyboarding elements.

For strobe utility, it just makes life a little easier - like peppy said, it's like a minute more to construct a loop and tinker around with the iteration count until it fits.

I'd like to see this implemented, but I can understand if it isn't. I would do it just to have the option there for someone to make use of it, but that's me whom is completely oblivious to the development required for this.